Thread: New John Mitchell EP

New John Mitchell EP

Of covers, apparently But at least they're interesting covers.

John Mitchell has taken time out from his Lonely Robot project to record a special release to launch the White Star Record label. The release is to be an EP called ‘The Nostalgia Factory’ released under John’s name and will feature four tracks of brand new recordings of some great songs by other artists.

The title track of the EP, ‘The Nostalgia Factory’ was originally recorded by Steven Wilson on one of his early Porcupine Tree cassettes. John’s new recording is a powerful version which also features ex-Touchstone vocalist Kim Seviour on backing vocals.

The second track is a version of Justin Hayward’s ‘It Won’t Be Easy’ that John had always liked since he heard it as the theme of cult sci-fi TV show Star Cops.

Following this track is a version of Phil Collins ‘Take Me Home’ which also features Kim Seviour’s backing vocals. John performed this track live as the final encore at his Lonely Robot Scala show recently and it went down a storm with an uplifting crowd sing-along.

The EP is then rounded off by a moving performance of ELP’s ‘C’Est La Vie’ which was originally recorded for a Prog mag project that never materialised.

At over 19 minutes of music the EP showcases John’s skills as a producer, vocalist and guitarist and shows how he can interpret other artist’s music and make them his own.

The EP will be released as a Digipak CD and will be available digitally also. It will be available in all good online and physical stores, including iTunes, Amazon, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Always a big fan of John Mitchell from Arena, The Urbane, Kino, Frost*, It Bites, Lonely Robot, ...

Despite my total antipathy for "Take me home" (as well as his cover of True Colors on the Urbane CD) I will most assuredly get this.

Love "almost" everything he has ever done musically. I am still blown away from his Kino show at RosFest years ago. I hope his success continues into the stratosphere.

he sounds great on XX!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I always wondered what happened to John Mitchell after Watergate. It's good to see he made something of himself after prison.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I always wondered what happened to John Mitchell after Watergate. It's good to see he made something of himself after prison.
    not one of his greatest hits
    i.ain't.dead.irock

What's happened to It Bites - are they doing another album?

It's pretty rare to see a modern prog artist acknowledge Collins's solo career.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    It's pretty rare to see a modern prog artist acknowledge Collins's solo career.
    It helps that "Take Me Home" is a fantastic song.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    What's happened to It Bites - are they doing another album?
    very informative interview on/from morow.com … apparently it's complicated …

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The second track is a version of Justin Hayward’s ‘It Won’t Be Easy’ that John had always liked since he heard it as the theme of cult sci-fi TV show Star Cops.
    I love the sheer obscurity of this. I mean, I love "Star Cops", but no-one remembers "Star Cops".

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Mitchell was very candid in that interview about the whole Kino/It Bites thing. He's an interesting guy.

I especially like his theory that human beings are a hybrid (of a species that was native to this planet and another that was not). Sounds legit.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    That & Colours are his two best solo songs IMO!

Star Cops - I remember it well.

Sorry - to save me listening to the interview what did he say about It Bites?

That the songs he and John Beck were writing for the next IB album had a "been there, done that" vibe for him. He added that he'd like the music progress (which he felt it had on "Map of the Past"), but it's difficult when John Beck wants to make sure it still sounds like IB. I'd say they're on hiatus rather than broken up.

Thanks for that - disappointing news. I really enjoyed The Tall Ships but didn't find Map of the Past as good but was still hoping for regular-ish releases from IB.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    Thanks for that - disappointing news. I really enjoyed The Tall Ships but didn't find Map of the Past as good but was still hoping for regular-ish releases from IB.
    I thought I was the only one here who preferred The Tall Ships to Map of the Past (though MotP is good imho).
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    I thought I was the only one here who preferred The Tall Ships to Map of the Past (though MotP is good imho).
    You can add me to that list, too. Absolutely love The Tall Ships.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post