Page 42 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1779

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

As one of the MIA old timers who has just seen this thread for the first time, I can't believe how nostalgic it's made me. I haven't read it all, but page after page, I recognize about 90% of the screennames people are mentioning. I'm actually surprised that I have such a crystal clear recollection of this forum from 10-15 years ago. This place was such a big part of my online life for many years. It launched me on a discovery tour of the wide world of prog beyond the "biggies" that I already knew, which to some extent continues to this day (latest purchase: Murple - Io Sono Murple). But beyond that, I remember the stimulating conversations, side-splitting humor, and occasional nuclear-level flame wars - three things which were not always mutually exclusive! I'm still facebook friends with about a dozen people I met here, and Sean's posts over there still form the majority of my musical discussions. I mostly dropped off in early 2011, when I took a new job and decided that I had to pare back on my online distractions. I opted to keep facebook and twitter, and let go of the more "specialty" messageboards and online hubs. And I'm sure it wouldn't be the same experience for me if I came back on a regular basis; as they say, you can never go home. But I'll always fondly remember PE and it's denizens of the mid-2000s!

^ Interesting and touching post. Thanks for checking in.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A. Scherze is Mathias Thallmayer (I think that's his real name) AKA Iconoclast on r.m.p. Loves ELP but hates all Genesis. Go figure.
    And he's a huge Holdsworth fan.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Interesting and touching post. Thanks for checking in.
    Yeah! The good ole days. Thanks for posting Olias and Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yeah! The good ole days. Thanks for posting Olias and Happy New Year.
    Thanks, Greg! Happy New Year!

WHORG?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    WHORG?
    Still alive & well and living in Chapel Hill, NC w/his lovely family. Lopez & I see him every year when we go to ProgDay and there is usually absinthe around.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Still alive & well and living in Chapel Hill, NC w/his lovely family. Lopez & I see him every year when we go to ProgDay and there is usually absinthe around.
    there's a prog festival in NC???
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    You're kidding, right, Jen?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    ProgDay has been an ongoing thing for quite a few years now. Seriously, you didn't know about it?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I've heard of ProgDay but didn't know where it was. No matter though as I'd have more luck getting my wife to attend an MMA fight than a progfest.

I'd love to attend another ProgDay but just too much $$$ for a weekend for me...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I've heard of ProgDay but didn't know where it was. No matter though as I'd have more luck getting my wife to attend an MMA fight than a progfest.
    Then come by yourself. I've stopped trying to get she-who-must-be-obeyed to come with me years ago.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

How about RCarlberg? Haven't see a post from him in a while, and he was mighty prolific with posts.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Don't know for certain but I think someone took a shat on RCarlberg, but I am not sure, I took some time off myself to gather my thoughts, and poof! he was gone when I returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    How about RCarlberg? Haven't see a post from him in a while, and he was mighty prolific with posts.
    he's taken a backseat a few months ago after some admins told him he was getting on a little too many members' nerves, but he's still around lurking mostly

He posted a couple of weeks ago and +/- confirmed it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ True, but he said he's wearing his Movin' On jeans, and he likes the fit.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ True, but he said he's wearing his Movin' On jeans, and he likes the fit.
    same with Trurl, same with Designshed (Troy) a number of years ago. Troy was very opinionated (and knowledgeable) but ruffled feathers. He too decided to walk away.

Trurl made an over-the-top off color remark about Stevie Nicks (completely tongue-in-cheek) but brought out a couple of white knights who started slinging accusations and pushing the 'report' button.

RCarlberg always came armed with facts which didn't endear him to those that didn't want to read it.

I wished more people used the ignore function but it seems that it isn't enough to ignore posters who say things we don't like, we want to sanction any thoughts or sentiments we don't like along with the posters that make them.

RCarlberg always came armed with facts which didn't endear him to those that didn't want to read it.

I wished more people used the ignore function but it seems that it isn't enough to ignore posters who say things we don't like, we want to sanction any thoughts or sentiments we don't like along with the posters that make them.
    Well said, and I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately, this kind of attitude seems to prevail more and more in the world at large and not just on forums like this one. Thank you, social media!

So we should invite Jegheist back then...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'd sooner have a sulfuric acid enema.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I miss Trurl.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Obviously, this has to be applied case-by-case. Some folks are wise and informative but can at times come across as overly opinionated and thus rub people the wrong way. Jeff Carney comes to mind. I learned a hell of a lot from his posts and had some pleasant private conversations with him. At other times, he had this mile-high soapbox that he'd get on that I found rather distasteful after a short while. I can say the same thing overall with RC. I can simply ignore the endless sparring in the digital vs. analog threads without needing to call in the moderators. The bulk of his posts I found to have depth of insight and merit. Then there are the bad-intent Jegheist types who clearly relish crossing the line and seem to come here for no other reason than to cause disruption.

All of this of course underlines why being a moderator is often a difficult and thankless job. And by the way, thank you, Sean !
    I concur about Trurl. I enjoyed his take on things and his often irreverent sense of humor.

Well, not always.

I never reported any of his posts, nor complained about him to anyone. I disagreed (sometimes openly) with some of the things he said, but I certainly didn't want him gone. He and I even had a few private messages back and forth and I think we came to an understanding about our differing personal beliefs.

In hindsight, I wish I had used the ignore function more myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I miss Trurl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I concur about Trurl. I enjoyed his take on things and his often irreverent sense of humor.
    Same here. Wish he'd come back.