Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

AHEM!!

vis-a-vis Da Midwest Gang

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

So it looks like a lot of people are mostly doing "FB" these days. I've never understood the appeal, but I've never even tried it so what do I know. For me the old fashioned "message board" and forums (I can't say "fora" sorry) work for me. Everything is nice and linear, and top-down.

FB is a very cool tool for keeping in touch with friends/family and reconnecting with old friends/family. It's also a great place to share music and promotion. What I hate is it's a cess pool of politics and social causes because of the platform it gives for anyone to spew from (like any social media really). The good thing is you can choose who and what you want to follow. Once you figure out how to weed out the bullshit, it can be very useful.

AND...it has a great private messages feature!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Yes. He threatened to kill me.

Hard to forget him.
    It is easier to remember the ones who threaten to kill you, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Remember Marty the super Yes fan? I wonder Howe he is doing now! He used to work Yes names and such into his posts.
    Ah so. Well played, Sean. Remembering (see what i did there?)

And Happy Birthday, Lino!

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    The Amy that was the punctuation and grammer 'queen' ?? That stuff miffed her to no end...
    She's a professional teacher. You won't find a sweeter individual - also smart as a whip and wicked funny
    Last edited by Polypet; 02-19-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I really do miss Alex Z-Bop. Very entertaining imo, and if you read between his psychedelicized flights of fancy, it was easy to see that he was a gentle soul with a heart of gold, unlike me and all the rest of you cynical assholes.

I'm so glad this place still exists - thanks Sean, Duncan, Yves, et al - and also do believe it's mellowed. I find myself less able to visit as frequently as before but always enjoy the people. Lots of good friends here. I miss some of the more whacked and the quality flames one used to see on boards like this. But i do like the civility, which has always been a hallmark of this particular forum, actually. It's still quite a treasure!

Thanks again to those who keep it going

Kimara
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I really do miss Alex Z-Bop. Very entertaining imo, and if you read between his psychedelicized flights of fancy, it was easy to see that he was a gentle soul with a heart of gold, unlike me and all the rest of you cynical assholes.
    Me too. We got along OK, and I liked his weird writing.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

How about Kim from Anubis Gate? I don't think I've seen him around lately either.

The Mare's Nest Cardiacs forum died the FB death a couple of years ago. Nowadays, you'll be lucky to find more than 2 members booked on at the same time on Mares Nest,

In the same genre as Mr G Downes, Mr Dale Hauskins !! (or is that the other way around?)

on the other side of the spectrum, Debbi (Pooh 73) is a real sweetie that I would lover to see post here (and gibe big hugs even more at festivals)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, I might've read Rickenbacker wrong

Sorry if I did!
    No prob. Yeah, Jazzis thought that. No one recalls that other guy's moniker?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    So it looks like a lot of people are mostly doing "FB" these days. I've never understood the appeal, but I've never even tried it so what do I know. For me the old fashioned "message board" and forums (I can't say "fora" sorry) work for me. Everything is nice and linear, and top-down.
    I love both Facebook and this site for different reasons and am pretty active on both.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I love both Facebook and this site for different reasons and am pretty active on both.
    Same here, there are some great groups on FB featuring the usual cast of characters such Beer Snobs, Avant Progressive, Prog Collector, etc
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I remember a member who hated his member... IIRC he went by The Enid. He once stated that he hated his penis. Used to post about how he was abducted by a Satanic cult as child or something to that effect?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

"Just curious if anyone here knew who Z..bop was in real life?"

Yeah, I met him at a few shows here in town. Nice guy that talked normally. Last I recall I remember him dissing PE on FB. Guess his last days here rubbed him the wrong way. No idea why.

He's not the first one I have run into outside of here with a similar story.

Can't please everyone, can we? And why should anyone hang around here forever anyway? For some it's just a phase that peaks and diminishes.

Come here with no expectations and you'll never leave here disappointed.

That's surprising to me, Sean. This place is so tame compared to other message boards...even the previous version and it's little "flame wars"

Over-sensitive ninnies!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I believe he got miffed because the time I met him in person I referred to him as Zed-Bop, not Zee-Bop... He flew into a rage, slapped the back bacon sandwich out my hand, wiped his nose on my toque, and stormed off... Hoser...

That's what you get for wearing a toque.

"That's surprising to me, Sean. This place is so tame compared to other message boards"

I always thought so too. People have different levels of sensitivity to this format. Some are cut out for it, some I guess no so much. But anyone walking away with lingering resentment, well, I can't really imagine anything being said here bad enough for it to linger long. But some people can obsess over things in many different ways for different lengths of times.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I believe he got miffed because the time I met him in person I referred to him as Zed-Bop, not Zee-Bop... He flew into a rage, slapped the back bacon sandwich out my hand, wiped his nose on my toque, and stormed off... Hoser...
    Yeah Yves, he simply took off, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Yeah Yves, he simply took off, eh?

Yeah... as I think of it, it was a beauty way to go....

I read this quickly and thought you said: Wiped his nose on my tongue

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Yeah... as I think of it, it was a beauty way to go....
    Now go drown yourself in a bottle of what your true love gave you on the first day of Christmas...

A partridge in a pear tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    A partridge in a pear tree?
    Not in Bob and Doug's world...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar

Fan vid, eh.
    Last edited by notallwhowander; 02-19-2016 at 05:41 PM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.