Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Grammy Awards tonight

2016 Grammy Awards tonight

Ok, we know there are so, so many reasons why not to care about these *ahem* "awards" *ahem*, but here are a few reasons to watch-
    Pretty early in the show, Lady Gaga will perform a tribute to David Bowie spanning various phases of his career. The Hollywood Vampires will take the stage in their first ever television appearance. (The group is made up of the likes of Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Johnny Depp.) The Eagles (Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh with guest Jackson Browne), will perform "Take It Easy" to honor fallen member Glenn Fry. Along with Herbie Hancock & Run D.M.C., the Jefferson Airplane will receive a lifetime achievement award. Will Grace Slick join the boys? Will they perform? Tune in tonight folks for this and the answers to many other questions, the least of which is "Who wins what?". I wonder if Chris Squire gets a mention in the "Tribute" sequence.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'll be tuning in at about 8:15.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

How many here will say they don't care about the awards, the show, or the performers, but will make sure to voice their critique of the show?

I have the show set to record and will have it on while I am BBQing in this wonderful 88 degree weather we are currently enjoying.

Let me know what I've won!

Thanks!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Ok, we know there are so, so many reasons why not to care about these *ahem* "awards" *ahem*, but here are a few reasons to watch-
    Pretty early in the show, Lady Gaga will perform a tribute to David Bowie spanning various phases of his career. The Hollywood Vampires will take the stage in their first ever television appearance. (The group is made up of the likes of Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Johnny Depp.) The Eagles (Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh with guest Jackson Browne), will perform "Take It Easy" to honor fallen member Glenn Fry. Along with Herbie Hancock & Run D.M.C., the Jefferson Airplane will receive a lifetime achievement award. Will Grace Slick join the boys? Will they perform? Tune in tonight folks for this and the answers to many other questions, the least of which is "Who wins what?". I wonder if Chris Squire gets a mention in the "Tribute" sequence.
    Squire better get a mention!

Well, Obscured, you make it sound worth tuning in, and we might do just that.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Thanks!
    One kudo.

Thanks!
    Jesus....

Guy gets one mention in the Wall Street Journal and thinks it's all about him now.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thanks!
    One petal from Peter Gabriel’s flower mask, laced with vegan oxytocin.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, Obscured, you make it sound worth tuning in, and we might do just that.
    You might actually learn who some of these people are, Jed!

Suspended
    Haven't these awards already been announced some time ago? Oh no, I'm thinking of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They all tend to blur together.

I'll DVR it and skip to only things I deem Klonk-worthy.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I would love to see the Airplane get their honors, as it is well deserved, but in terms of meaning, these otherwise really don't have any.

PS. Grace will not show up. She has been clear that this is all in the past.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I just set up the dvr'ing since Gaga's Bowie tribute as well as the way the JA segment plays out do interest me, particularly in light of Kantner's death. No Balin as well? The Hollywood Vampires should be good for a laugh (I think Leto has already created the template for Depp), and if there's a musical tribute to Herbie, that's gravy.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    PS. Grace will not show up. She has been clear that this is all in the past.
    She has only ever stated her singing days are over.

http://wmgk.com/2016/01/14/jefferson...e-achievement/

** It's likely that Airplane members -- Grace Slick, Paul Kantner, Marty Balin, Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady -- will attend the events, but guitarist Kaukonen tells us that thanks to Slick there's no chance of the group reuniting: "All things considered, we're alive and all good. Grace doesn't sing anymore, so the pressure's off. Some of the other guys would've wanted to (play). Marty wasn't interested. Paul was interested. It was an honor to have been part of that whole thing; you and I might not be having this conversation today if it hadn't been for those wacky guys and gals. But thanks to Grace, the pressure's off the rest of us to do anything."**
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Also heard Alice Cooper will do a tribute to Lemmy. What wait, Heavy Metal even being mentioned, blasphemy. Oh, wait maybe they will make it a tribute to Ian Anderson.

The only artist I'm pulling for tonight is Courtney Barnett for Best New Artist. A longshot, to be sure, but if you haven't checked her out I highly recommend you do so.
    The Prog Corner

...damn. Better Call Saul premieres tonight.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    ...damn. Better Call Saul premieres tonight.
    It's opposite the penultimate "X-Files" episode.

I am working tonight and completely forgot to set the DVR. Would like to see the performances you mention. Oh well, they will probably be on youtube in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The Hollywood Vampires should be good for a laugh (I think Leto has already created the template for Depp)
    The footage I have seen from their performances have all been good…

Arriving tonight:

Johnny Depp - Joe Perry - Alice Cooper

It's opposite the penultimate "X-Files" episode.
    yeah, 'twas a toss-up, but Fox.com streams the episodes. 'salll good, man
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

15 minutes into the show and it is evident that CBS should never do live concert broadcasts. The audio mix for this and the Super Bowl have been horrible. It's great that the performers are singing live, but their voices don't need to be so high in the mix. The music is buried in the mix.

There are times when The Weekend sings a slow song and his voice is very strong and interesting and very high---sort of the Jon Anderson and Getty Lee of Hip hop r and b.

Within the first half-hour I counted three songs with that I-V-vii-IV chord progression.
    I'll dvr the rest and sift through later.

I have the latest album from Weeknd. It's entertaining.