Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Grammy Awards tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    No, she didn't. I watched it this morning & damn, she was totally flat / off key for about a 3rd of it. I was cringing.
    It definitely was not her best performance.

Wish I had stayed up for the BB King tribute. Just watched it, nice!
    The Gaga/Bowie thing was unimpressive. Big shoes were left unfilled.
    Many tech glitches over the evening, although the blazing fire was awesome.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I think here on the west coast they started the show at 4:00 pm and kept repeating it until after 11:00 pm. I watched from about 5:15 until X-Files started at 8:00, then switched to that. Caught a little more after 10:00 but some of it was a repeat of what I'd seen earlier. I didn't see the whole show, in fact missed most of the awards, but saw a lot of the performances, which are really the only reason to watch. Fortune smiled on me, and I missed seeing Pit Bull and Taylor Swift. Sadly, I also missed the Airplane. I did see some fairly good stuff (very good for the Grammies, which in years past have made me nauseous), including:

part of Lady Gaga's tribute to Bowie
    Hollywood Vampires doing their own song, plus "Ace Of Spades" in tribute to Lemmy (I loved the audience reaction to hearing real rock music)
    the tribute to BB King featuring Chris Stapleton, Gary Clark, Jr, and Bonnie Raitt
    Stevie Wonder and an a capella group whose name I didn't catch singing a tribute to Maurice White of Earth Wind & Fire, and Stevie's funny award presentation afterward
    Adele singing a song
    Alabama Shakes knocking it out of the park with "Don't Wanna Fight No More." Amazing song, amazing performance.
    Eagles and Jackson Browne (and Bernie Leadon!) doing "Take It Easy" in tribute to Glenn Frey
    A few other performances, some by artists that are new to me. If I didn't watch, I might not know who they are next time I hear their names come up.

All in all a good evening, in that I got to see most of what I wanted to see, and got to miss most of what I wanted to miss. I wonder what direction the show would have taken had we not recently lost so many rock luminaries.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I think here on the west coast they started the show at 4:00 pm and kept repeating it until after 11:00 pm.
    For west coast, red carpet arrival coverage started at 4pm; show started at 5pm. Once the live show was done, CBS aired the complete show again. E! Network aired red carpet arrivals starting at 3pm.

I didn't see the whole show, in fact missed most of the awards, but saw a lot of the performances, which are really the only reason to watch.

Missed most of the awards because they hardly show the awards being presented on-air. Most are given out earlier in the afternoon or during the weekend. The Grammy's are about their "moments" that they create during their live broadcast. At least that's what they kept feeding to LL Cool J to regurgitate over and over.

…and the Grammy goes to...

Record of the Year: Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars, "Uptown Funk"

Album of the Year: Taylor Swift, 1989

Best New Artist: Meghan Trainor

Best Rock Performance: Alabama Shakes, "Don't Wanna Fight"

Best Musical Theater Album: Hamilton

Song of the Year: Ed Sheeran, "Thinking Out Loud"

Best Country Album: Chris Stapleton, Traveller

Best Rap Album: Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance: Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars, "Uptown Funk"

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration: Kendrick Lamar feat. Bilal, Anna Wise & Thundercat, "These Walls"

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album: Tony Bennett & Bill Charlap, The Silver Lining: The Songs of Jerome Kern

Best Pop Solo Performance: Ed Sheeran, "Thinking Out Loud"

Best Rap Song: Kendrick Lamar, "Alright"

Best Alternative Music Album: Alabama Shakes, Sound & Color

Best Rock Album: Muse, Drones

Best Rap Performance: Kendrick Lamar, "Alright"

Best Rock Song: Alabama Shakes, "Don't Wanna Fight"

Best R&B Album: D'Angelo and the Vanguard, Black Messiah

Best Urban Contemporary Album: The Weeknd, Beauty Behind the Madness

Best R&B Performance: The Weeknd, "Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey)"

Best R&B Song: D'Angelo and The Vanguard, "Really Love"

Best Traditional R&B Performance: Lalah Hathaway, "Little Ghetto Boy"

Best Dance/Electronic Album: Skrillex and Diplo, Skrillex and Diplo Present Jack Ü

Best Dance Recording: Skrillex and Diplo With Justin Bieber, "Where Are Ü Now"

Best Music Video: Taylor Swift feat. Kendrick Lamar, "Bad Blood"

Best Country Duo/Group Performance: Little Big Town, "Girl Crush"

Best Country Song: Little Big Town, "Girl Crush"

Best Music Film: Amy Winehouse, Amy

Best Rap/Song Collaboration: Common & John Legend, "Glory"

Best Pop Vocal Album: Taylor Swift, 1989

Best Country Solo Performance: Chris Stapleton, "Traveller"

Best Contemporary Christian Music Album: Tobymac, This Is Not a Test

Best Roots Gospel Album: The Fairfield Four, Still Rockin' My Soul

Best Latin Rock, Urban or Alternative Album: Pitbull, Dale

Best Latin Pop Album: Ricky Martin, A Quien Quiera Escuchar (Deluxe Edition)

Best Comedy Album: Louis C.K., Live at Madison Square Garden

Best Spoken Word Album: Jimmy Carter, A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety

Score Soundtrack for Visual Media: Birdman

Best Gospel Album: Israel & Newbreed, Covered: Alive Is Asia [Live] (Deluxe)

Best Gospel Performance/Song: Kirk Franklin, "Wanna Be Happy?"

The best performance of the night was from Paul McCartney! Click the link and watch the vid. It's a sign of the times -- out with the old, in with the new.

PAUL MCCARTNEY DENIED AT GRAMMY PARTY!!!

This is one for the ages ... Paul McCartney turned away at a Grammy after-party ... not once, BUT TWICE.
    Paul, Beck, and Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins went to Argyle in Hollywood Monday night to hobnob at the bash hosted by Tyga.
    Security was not impressed and told them they were not welcome.

You hear Paul say, "How VIP do we gotta get? We need another hit."

After a second failed attempt, the trio bails and they make their way to Hyde for the Republic Records party. They had better luck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno
    For west coast, red carpet arrival coverage started at 4pm; show started at 5pm.
    I don't think I've ever watched red carpet arrivals for any award show. I just can't see turning the TV on that early. I usually wander in late, since it's not important to me to see it all.

Missed most of the awards because they hardly show the awards being presented on-air.
    I didn't know that. I thought it was like the Oscars, where they hand off the award and there is a short speech. I don't pay constant attention to awards shows, switching away when they get boring or put on a commercial. So I just assumed I missed that part.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

PAUL MCCARTNEY DENIED AT GRAMMY PARTY!!!
    I suppose it's possible, but if the only source is TMZ, how do you know it happened?

And WTF is a Tyga?

I suppose it's possible, but if the only source is TMZ, how do you know it happened?
    So, you don't like clicking links and watching the accompanying video that answers your question. Ok.

Suspended
    Out of those award winners, I have actually heard Uptown Funk. I may have unknowingly heard others.

One out of 50 ain't bad.

I thought Lady Gaga's Bowie tribute was very cool. I loved Alabama Shakes.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    It definitely was not her best performance.
    Adele said the microphone for the piano dropped on the keys (you may have noticed the sound cutting out at the beginning of her song) She said it made the piano out of tune. I love her attitude though she just tweeted shit happens and because of this I am going to In n Out.

So, you don't like clicking links and watching the accompanying video that answers your question. Ok.
    FYI, I did click the link but there was no video there, just a still photo and a short article. You seem to have posted the video now in post #60. I just watched it there. And I still don't know what a Tyga is.

And I still don't know what a Tyga is.
    http://www.tygasworld.com

Micheal Ray Stevenson (born November 19, 1989), known by his stage name Tyga (a backronym for Thank You God Always), is an American rapper from Gardena, California.

In 2011, Tyga signed a recording contract with Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records and Republic Records (formerly Universal Republic Records). His major label debut Careless World: Rise of the Last King, includes the singles "Rack City", "Faded" featuring fellow Young Money artist Lil Wayne, "Far Away" featuring Chris Richardson, "Still Got It" featuring Drake, and "Make It Nasty". He released his third album Hotel California, on April 9, 2013, and includes the singles "Dope" featuring Rick Ross, "For The Road" featuring Chris Brown, and "Show You" featuring Future. His fourth studio album The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty, was released June 23, 2015, after several delays

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Did Grace show? I cannot find any pics of her. Jack Casady, yes.
    I saw Jack right behind Meghan Trainor when she got up to accept Best New Artist award, too quick a shot to notice if Grace or any other JA members were there. I mean it wasn't as quick a shot as of when Chris Squire got mentioned in the RIP tribute; almost a non-mention it was so fast, just a blur-I think at least they used a picture of him with the triple-neck "Awaken" bass. (?)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...butors.500722/
    This discussion brings to mind the question:

Do the artists seek out tens and twenties of producers, or do the producers force themselves on the artists in order to see their name on the finished product? I can't imagine how they could all be necessary. I can't even see how they could stay out of each others' way.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think here on the west coast they started the show at 4:00 pm and kept repeating it until after 11:00 pm. I watched from about 5:15 until X-Files started at 8:00, then switched to that. Caught a little more after 10:00 but some of it was a repeat of what I'd seen earlier. I didn't see the whole show, in fact missed most of the awards, but saw a lot of the performances, which are really the only reason to watch. Fortune smiled on me, and I missed seeing Pit Bull and Taylor Swift. Sadly, I also missed the Airplane. I did see some fairly good stuff (very good for the Grammies, which in years past have made me nauseous), including:

part of Lady Gaga's tribute to Bowie
    Hollywood Vampires doing their own song, plus "Ace Of Spades" in tribute to Lemmy (I loved the audience reaction to hearing real rock music)
    the tribute to BB King featuring Chris Stapleton, Gary Clark, Jr, and Bonnie Raitt
    Stevie Wonder and an a capella group whose name I didn't catch singing a tribute to Maurice White of Earth Wind & Fire, and Stevie's funny award presentation afterward
    Adele singing a song
    Alabama Shakes knocking it out of the park with "Don't Wanna Fight No More." Amazing song, amazing performance.
    Eagles and Jackson Browne (and Bernie Leadon!) doing "Take It Easy" in tribute to Glenn Frey
    A few other performances, some by artists that are new to me. If I didn't watch, I might not know who they are next time I hear their names come up.

All in all a good evening, in that I got to see most of what I wanted to see, and got to miss most of what I wanted to miss. I wonder what direction the show would have taken had we not recently lost so many rock luminaries.
    Bonnie Rait was good! I take back everything I said before about her being boring. She can play.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wait, who the F is Tyga?

How does an album released in 2014 win the 2016 Grammy for Album Of The Year? Are there any similar examples from earlier years?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    How does an album released in 2014 win the 2016 Grammy for Album Of The Year? Are there any similar examples from earlier years?
    Album of the Year: Taylor Swift, 1989 (released on October 27, 2014)

https://www.grammy.org/recording-aca...ocess/faqs#two

For the 58th Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2014 and Sept. 30, 2015. Recordings must be commercially released in general distribution in the United States, i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via the Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product. Recordings must be available for sale from any date within the eligibility period through at least the date of the current year’s voting deadline (final ballot).

I loved seeing Lionel Richie perform and get some honors! I have many of his albums and have been a fan since his Commodores days. He looked pretty good up on stage.

"Outrageous!"

There are actually some decent winners on that list:
    Uptown Funk is a great song. I am not into this style of music at all, but every time I hear the song it becomes an earworm that I can’t get out of my head. Bruno Mars kills it when I have seen him do it live on TV too.

Muse – I don’t think “Drones” is their best album, but it is a solid one from a great band.

Alabama Shakes – Nothing wrong with these guys. They are fantastic at what they do and Brittany Howard is one of the most soulful vocalists to come along in ages.

Chris Stapleton: This guy is winning me over. I first saw him on Saturday Night Live earlier this season. I had never heard of him, but dug what he did. Since then I have explored some more of his stuff and like it. He is considered a country artist I guess, but most of his stuff sounds more blues / southern rock / singer songwriter to my ears. With all the crap in country music these days, this guy is the real deal.

Duncan Jones, David Bowie's son tweeted this last night-

**"Overexcited or irrational, typically as a result of infatuation or excessive enthusiasm; mentally confused." Damn it! What IS that word!?**

His tweet quoting the Oxford English Dictionary definition of the word "gaga."

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/02/1...acts/21313589/ https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    There are times when The Weekend sings a slow song and his voice is very strong and interesting and very high---sort of the Jon Anderson and Getty Lee of Hip hop r and b.
    Or Bruno Mars. Or Michael Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Nice seeing and hearing Jackson Browne with the Eagles.
    It was nice seeing him, but I didn't think he sounded very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Gary Clarke Jr. / Bonnie Rait / Chris Stapleton tribute to BB King was great.
    That was the highlight of the night, IMO. Really enjoyable performance.

Alabama Shakes were great.
    I've heard their name several times, but never heard their music - I was impressed. Good stuff.

Young jazz prodigy Joey Alexander knocked it out of the park.
    I missed this, somehow, and it was specifically one of the things I wanted to see. This kid has so much talent.

Another highlight. The a capella group is Pentatonix - very talented kids who are turning people like my 13-year-old daughter and her friends on to vocal music.

Chris Stapleton: This guy is winning me over. I first saw him on Saturday Night Live earlier this season. I had never heard of him, but dug what he did. Since then I have explored some more of his stuff and like it. He is considered a country artist I guess, but most of his stuff sounds more blues / southern rock / singer songwriter to my ears. With all the crap in country music these days, this guy is the real deal.
    I'd never heard of him before, but loved his performance on that BB King tribute. I want to hear more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally