Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Grammys Have a Rap Problem?

Do the Grammys Have a Rap Problem?

I just bumped into the article below:
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/do-the-g...185305460.html
    The article itself is quite a thing that perfectly demonstrate why so many people like politically incorrect Trump.
    The most interesting thing I found in the Comments section. I guess that that guy perfectly caught what I was thinking about the subject but could not properly say:
    Rap is a manifestation of white guilt. Complete garbage gobbled up by white youth to prove they are not racists.

What a stupid, ignorant comment.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    Bullshit.

A 2016 article talking about "rap" in contemporary popular music. Lol.

Cuz it needs to be said...

Phil Collins ruined rap when he stole Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five's laugh from "The Message" for "Mama"...

...oh, and then there's Vanilla Ice...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    I just bumped into the article below:
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/do-the-g...185305460.html
    The article itself is quite a thing that perfectly demonstrate why so many people like politically incorrect Trump. ]
    What the FUCK are you talking about?!?!?!?!

I read the entire article. I just do not see how you arrive at the conclusions you did. Yeah the article postulated a few theories as to why a number of RAP artists and songs get NOMINATED but don't actually WIN. But to assert that RAP came about and is consumed by whites because of white guilt is SO UTTERLY ABSURD , I not even sure why I'm wasting my time responding to you.

Why has this not been locked yet?

Ignorance is bliss.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Thought the Grammys were about music???

I wonder what music Jay Wessman is listening to...

I dont think a post about rap will go too far on a Prog forum. I find very little about rap that I enjoy. Some can be a little entertaining (sir mixalot comes to mind) But its just not anything I enjoy. When I listen to music, I can see in my mind what the individuals are playing. I really enjoy that but for rap, all I picture is ... well, I guess I dont see much but a guy with a computer - of sorts.

Its just not what I enjoy.

I don't like the sound, I don't like the attitude of rap. I find the posturing of the performers ridiculous looking. It grates and irritates for the most part. Im not to affected by who and what the Grammys bestow their interest on either.

So just after posting the above I find the following in the next thread I read.
    You should all buy his new album. It features such poetry as: "If I fuck this model/ And she just bleached her asshole/ And I get bleach on my T-shirt/ I'mma feel like an asshole"
    This gem written by rapper Kayne West. What can I say other than I have been wrong for years. I take it all back.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    This gem written by rapper Kayne West.
    Founder of the record label GOOD Music.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Rap is cool if you're in jail.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Thought the Grammys were about music???
    I thought they were about selling units. A reward for out-selling other artists. Like if they gave an Olympic medal to the athlete who wins the most medals...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

No, it's more like saying the best wine is the one that sells the most cases in grocery stores.

No taste tests. No experts. No critical analysis.

Just sales.

The Grammy's are by far the least relevant of the major industry awards (Emmy, Grammy Oscar, Tony); probably because the pool of potential nominees is so vastly huge compared to that of the others: the number of television shows, musicals and even films is far, far less than the number of albums released each year, even if we were to limit the pool of albums to the majors and their affiliates.

The Grammy's need *something* to winnow out the contenders - and it is, after all, an *industry* award - so it should hardly be surprising that the Grammies are for the moneyed class of popular music artists. If a big-selling album is also getting good reviews, that's of course a plus. I can't even fathom the argument for Grammy consideration for an album or artist that was *not* selling in big numbers - I mean, what what would be the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The Grammy's are by far the least relevant of the major industry awards (Emmy, Grammy Oscar, Tony); probably because the pool of potential nominees is so vastly huge compared to that of the others:
    Wait, I thought home taping, errr, I mean DOWNLOADING was killing music???

Downloading the Grammys is killing music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wait...it's not not Streaming?

Rap is cool if you're deaf!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Rap is cool if you're deaf!
    If yer hip ya woulda typed "Def" ....

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    If yer hip ya woulda typed "Def" ....

Kendrick Lamar's album is, IMO, one of the best releases of the last few years, in any genre. But I'm sure many of you can't stand it.