Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Grammys Have a Rap Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Kendrick Lamar's album is, IMO, one of the best releases of the last few years, in any genre.
    No IMO needed.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The Grammy's are by far the least relevant of the major industry awards (Emmy, Grammy Oscar, Tony); probably because the pool of potential nominees is so vastly huge compared to that of the others: the number of television shows, musicals and even films is far, far less than the number of albums released each year, even if we were to limit the pool of albums to the majors and their affiliates.

The Grammy's need *something* to winnow out the contenders - and it is, after all, an *industry* award - so it should hardly be surprising that the Grammies are for the moneyed class of popular music artists. If a big-selling album is also getting good reviews, that's of course a plus. I can't even fathom the argument for Grammy consideration for an album or artist that was *not* selling in big numbers - I mean, what what would be the point?
    You make some very good points. I never really thought about it from that perspective, but it is true that the sheer number of releases in the music field compared to film, theater, and tv is much much larger.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Thought the Grammys were about music???
    If you think the Grammys are about music, you are on some powerful tranquilizers.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Kendrick Lamar's album is, IMO, one of the best releases of the last few years, in any genre. But I'm sure many of you can't stand it.
    I've never heard of him.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What a stupid, ignorant comment.
    But it would make a great sig for someone.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I was going to post, then thought better of it, then overcame my better judgement.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Kendrick Lamar's album is, IMO, one of the best releases of the last few years, in any genre. But I'm sure many of you can't stand it.
    Totally agreed. It's the kind of great album that I didn't think could be made anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    If you think the Grammys are about music, you are on some powerful tranquilizers.
    Consider that back in the mid 60's, when the NARAS first started recognizing rock n roll, the first such award was given to Nino Tempo and April Stevens for their recording of Deep Purple, which sounds like everyone involved in the recording never got the memo that Elvis, Chuck, Buddy, The Beatles, and The Beach Boys had pretty much changed the sound of "popular music". In other words, it's not a rock n roll recording (the song Deep Purple's only tangible connection to the genre is that it was Ritchie Blackmore's mother's favorite song, and therefore was the inspiration for the name of the band he's most famous for playing with).

And who could forget the 1989 ceremony, where they finally instituted a hard rock/heavy metal award, then gave the damn thing to Jethro Tull! The members of Metallica were still whining about that 15 years later!

For the record, I'm still convinced there has to be rap music out there that I would like, I just have no idea how to hear it. Some of the stuff I've heard has been just on the edge of something I would like, but not enough for me to buy it. I keep thinking I should have the first couple Run DMC records, though that's mainly because of the one or two songs that i've heard that Eddie Martinez played guitar on (I'm thinking specifically of Rock Box and King Of Rock, which I'm under the impression don't really represent what most of their music sounds like), and every so often I hear a Beastie Boys thing that makes me think I should have one or two of their things.

But most of what I get to hear in regards to rap music, I hear blasting from car stereos at way to high a volume level, lots of foul mouthed shouting about thugs, scumbags and whores, accompanied by those epileptic TR-808 rhythm tracks that are the reason why I don't like drum machines. I know songs about Larry Hoover (or at least some turkey who thinks he's "like Larry Hoorver) don't represent the totality of rap music, I just have no idea where to even begin looking for something I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've never heard of him.
    Of course you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Consider that back in the mid 60's, when the NARAS first started recognizing rock n roll, the first such award was given to Nino Tempo and April Stevens for their recording of Deep Purple, which sounds like everyone involved in the recording never got the memo that Elvis, Chuck, Buddy, The Beatles, and The Beach Boys had pretty much changed the sound of "popular music". In other words, it's not a rock n roll recording (the song Deep Purple's only tangible connection to the genre is that it was Ritchie Blackmore's mother's favorite song, and therefore was the inspiration for the name of the band he's most famous for playing with).

And who could forget the 1989 ceremony, where they finally instituted a hard rock/heavy metal award, then gave the damn thing to Jethro Tull! The members of Metallica were still whining about that 15 years later!
    Yeah, it used to be that the list of acts that had never won a Grammy was the crème de la crème of rock music: Stones, Zep, the Who, Bowie, every prog act, etc. Grammy was obsessed with smooth pop, Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, etc. Nothing wrong with Stevie or Paul but they were only accepted because they were popular, had some critical acclaim, and to the aging voting body sounded non-rock enough to be safe.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just combine the Oscars with the Grammys and then the segment of the USA's population that needs (and receives) the most attention will be happy for a couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, it used to be that the list of acts that had never won a Grammy was the crème de la crème of rock music: Stones, Zep, the Who, Bowie, every prog act, etc. Grammy was obsessed with smooth pop, Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, etc. Nothing wrong with Stevie or Paul but they were only accepted because they were popular, had some critical acclaim, and to the aging voting body sounded non-rock enough to be safe.
    I think Eddie Trunk had a good way of summing up the Grammy committee. Although there's plenty of "young people" in the voting body, you're still talking about basically "your grandparents". Hence, they're actually trying to represent "modern music" in any given era, but they're just so clueless about it that they have no idea. Or the portion of the voting who do know, for instance, that perhaps Metallica should have won that Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal award back in 1989 are so small (or were in 1989) that they make no tangible difference. The reason Jethro Tull won was because a lot of people who are clueless about heavy metal were handed a ballot and Jethro Tull was the one name they recognized, so they voted for them (who the frell was even nominated besides Tull and Metallica that year? I don't remember).

Having said that, they usually do a good job with the Best Rock Instrumental, jazz and classical categories. Jeff Beck has one Best Rock Instrumental several times, Pat Metheny (!) has won it once, I can't remember if Eric Johnson has actually won the award or just been nominated. Metheny's won Grammys in a ridiculously wide range of categories beyond merely the "jazz" categories.

While not that enthousiastic, I think that it's a great, very interesting album. Of the very few examples proving that modern rap CAN BE really innovative music.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    While not that enthousiastic, I think that it's a great, very interesting album. Of the very few examples proving that modern rap CAN BE really innovative music.
    Well, now I'm going to have to find this online and give it a listen.

I've only heard what he did on the Grammys, and I didn't get it. I realize that he's not targeting the 46-year-old white dad audience, but it did nothing for me. I can respect those who say it's the greatest thing they've ever heard, but I just can't understand what is supposed to be so great about it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The world has a rap problem.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I just can't understand what is supposed to be so great about it.
    But, but that's what everyone else and their mums, dads, gaunty aunts and halfdead dogs say about [...fill in...].

I personally like Mungo Jerry, Cannibal Corpse, Suede and Julio Iglesias.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But, but that's what everyone else and their mums, dads, gaunty aunts and halfdead dogs say about [...fill in...].
    I guess. I'd like to think that I'm a little more open-minded than that, but whatever. I don't disregard all music that's made today altogether, on principle. That performance just had nothing to offer, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Have a listen for yourselves:

It may not be your cuppa whatever but you can't seriously claim this stuff is an example of the worst music out there today.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It may not be your cuppa whatever but you can't seriously claim this stuff is an example of the worst music out there today.
    I really couldn't say. To make that claim would require listening to it. I made it past 45 seconds of n-word nonsense in the first clip when the pause button suddenly told me what to do and I complied.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    If yer hip ya woulda typed "Def" ....
    And if you were hip you would know that Def is street slang for Cool.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    And if you were hip you would know that Def is street slang for Cool.
    too-SHAY
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    too-SHAY
    2Shay, a French rapper.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

-=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-