Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do the Grammys Have a Rap Problem?

Childish Gambino is Donald Glover. He made a name as a TV actor on "Community" several years ago, and is in something else now that I've never seen.

I didn't watch the whole show, preferring to listen to my music instead, but would occasionally go down to the living room to see what was up. The first time I checked out last night's Grammies, I saw a whole stage full of women I didn't recognize, along with Dolly Parton, whom I did recognize. I asked my wife "Who are all the women on stage with Dolly," and she could name only one or two. I said "I only recognize Dolly." She said "We're old." So it goes.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    Childish Gambino is Donald Glover. He made a name as a TV actor on "Community" several years ago, and is in something else now that I've never seen.
    Thanks. BTW, I have no idea if his music is rap because I haven't heard him, this just somehow seemed like the most appropriate existing thread.

I don't know if the name he chose is supposed to relate to the Gambino crime family or if he's short (and childish).

This year's Grammys was actually pretty rap free, save for a couple tunes like that Cardi B one. I thought it was refreshing to see real people play instruments and have their tunes be based around that, rather than sampled crap. It was still middle of the road at best, but better than a lot in recent memory.

Jedd, check this out-

Is this really "rap"?

Be sure to watch the whole thing, it's got a few surprises in store for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I didn't watch the whole show, preferring to listen to my music instead, but would occasionally go down to the living room to see what was up. The first time I checked out last night's Grammies, I saw a whole stage full of women I didn't recognize, along with Dolly Parton, whom I did recognize. I asked my wife "Who are all the women on stage with Dolly," and she could name only one or two. I said "I only recognize Dolly." She said "We're old." So it goes.
    This past Saturday's SNL was hosted by the musical guest, a woman I'd never heard of, who also seemed to have zero personality. I guess she must be popular and they were able to get a host and musical guest combined, but they didn't seem to get much out of her aside from her musical numbers. I assume, since I didn't watch them. But she added nothing to the skits and her monologue was brief and humorless. I know, get off my lawn!

He says he got the name from a 'rap name generator'.

Donald Glover was also in The Martian and Magic Mike XXL.
    Used to write for 30 Rock ( and I guess was in a couple of episodes ).
    He has been on the TV show Atlanta for a few years, which he writes and directs.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This year's Grammys was actually pretty rap free, save for a couple tunes like that Cardi B one. I thought it was refreshing to see real people play instruments and have their tunes be based around that, rather than sampled crap. It was still middle of the road at best, but better than a lot in recent memory.

Jedd, check this out-

Is this really "rap"?

Be sure to watch the whole thing, it's got a few surprises in store for ya.

I can certainly appreciate the message of the video and (to some extent) the song, but it's definitely not something I'd listen to again. Not really rap, I guess I don't know what I'd call it (which is probably good). But IMO there's nothing very compelling about the song. I kind of wonder if there's anyone who actually loves the song and listens to it over and over. I can't imagine the song won whatever it just won on musical merit at all.

Just read all 6 pages of this - Thank you mods for not stopping this open conversation. Sometimes something that seems headed for the toilet can actually take on a better life. Its always better to allow a conversation to occur than to shut all communication off by calling it banal or "ignorant" clearly, its good to be patient. Lesson learned (by me, at least) I still do not enjoy rap, but I did get some clarity about why some would enjoy it. Too much rap I hear is ego-centric and about thinking with your naughty bits.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

Imagine that, someone doesn't know who someone else is on The Grammy's...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yes, I know, but this guy seems to be the toast of the town right now, pretty much for that one song.

I saw one episode of Community, so I think that's all I've seen this guy in aside from just watching that video.

Childish Gambino is the Stage Name of Donald Glover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Glover

If you haven't seen the music video for "This is America" you should go watch it right now. You may hate it. I find it incredible. I don't listen to much rap, frankly, but I liken the best of it to spoken word poetry, and it can be a powerful medium. I do like Hip Hop grooves--Dilla beats and the Go Go stuff, etc.

EDIT: Oh, I see you guys have already covered it, then...nevermind!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This past Saturday's SNL was hosted by the musical guest, a woman I'd never heard of, who also seemed to have zero personality. I guess she must be popular and they were able to get a host and musical guest combined, but they didn't seem to get much out of her aside from her musical numbers. I assume, since I didn't watch them. But she added nothing to the skits and her monologue was brief and humorless. I know, get off my lawn!
    Welcome to the Outside-of-the-Target-Audience Club.

I couldn't care less about the Grammies, but I did see that Johnny Winter got a long-overdue trophy.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

It was a very weird night. Lady Gaga actually rocked "Shallow" pretty hard, stomping around in platform shoes. H.E.R. had a nice bit of guitar playing. But it was nearly all R&B/Hip-Hop with a little country. I turned it off before at the three hour mark.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Childish Gambino is the Stage Name of Donald Glover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Glover

If you haven't seen the music video for "This is America" you should go watch it right now. You may hate it. I find it incredible. I don't listen to much rap, frankly, but I liken the best of it to spoken word poetry, and it can be a powerful medium. I do like Hip Hop grooves--Dilla beats and the Go Go stuff, etc.

EDIT: Oh, I see you guys have already covered it, then...nevermind!
    My question is, is the song (minus the video) something you'd want to listen to repeatedly? It sort of seems like the song won because of the video.

But as ronmac said, I'm not in the target audience, which is fine.

I knew it was on, that's as close as I wanted to get.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I remember back in the 90's, a co-worker gave me grief because I hadn't watched the Grammys that year. He's like "But music is your thing, why wouldn't you watch the Grammys?" and I didn't want to have to explain to him that, really, the Grammys has nothing to do with music. Or at least not the areas of music that I have the most interest in.

I think the last time I actually watched the Grammys from beginning to end might have been 1985. Actually, I take that back, which year was the Milli Vanilli debacle? Because I Remember watching the year after that, and noticing a lot more live performances (before that, they had more lip synced things). I also remember whichever year it was that Los Lobos did LaBamba, with David Hildago playing a lipstick tube pickup equipped Strat and Cesar Rojas playing a really cool guitar solo (or was that on the American Music Awards?).

So from the early early 90's onwards, I just looked for who won what I thought were the interesting categories (e.g. Best Rock Instrumental, and the jazz and classical related stuff) afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Consider that back in the mid 60's, when the NARAS first started recognizing rock n roll, the first such award was given to Nino Tempo and April Stevens for their recording of Deep Purple, which sounds like everyone involved in the recording never got the memo that Elvis, Chuck, Buddy, The Beatles, and The Beach Boys had pretty much changed the sound of "popular music". In other words, it's not a rock n roll recording (the song Deep Purple's only tangible connection to the genre is that it was Ritchie Blackmore's mother's favorite song, and therefore was the inspiration for the name of the band he's most famous for playing with).
    Gottverdammter! I Just made that almost exact same comment about Nino Tempo and April Stevens on the Telecaster Discussion Forum like two days ago. I need to get some new material! Oy!

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    2 Live Crew is soooooo 1990s Florida. Me so horny, indeed.
    I actually heard at the time that whole debacle was going on that, according to rap cognoscenti, 2 Live Crew actually weren't that good, by whichever standards who judge rap music (or the standards used circa 1990 or whenever it was). The only reason their records sold was because whomever it was, the 1990's version of Tipper Gore or whatever, down in Miami made a big deal about how "obscene" their lyrics were.

I watched that SNL, although I may not have stayed awake through parts of it. Weekend Update was fantastic. I was unfamiliar with the single-named host/singer with the unnatural colored hair/wig. But I gave her a chance. I thought her music/singing was boring. And her lack of facial expression didn't help. I'm not saying she shouldn't have a career, or that she is worse than other modern pop singers. But I'm not going to be looking for her albums. I'm probably not her target audience anyway. The problem isn't that modern pop is bad. To me, bad music must be irritating, such that you don't want to hear it again. Modern pop, with few exceptions, is merely boring, IMO. That doesn't make it bad, in my book. It just makes me sleepy. But I don't need soporifics to sleep, so I don't purchase modern pop.

I don't care for rap, most of it is irritating to me, but I do understand the anger expressed in much of it. Sometimes the lyrics are more eloquent than those of punk rock, a music that also expresses a lot of anger. Sometimes, it's merely swearing or encouraging violence, spoken to a beat, without melody. I don't mind that rap exists as a form of expression. I just don't want to hear it while real music that I like still exists.

I once heard some loud rap from a nearby vehicle while on the road. The words were something like, "Motherf**king kill the motherf**kin' cops, motherf**kers!," plus a lot of words extremely demeaning of women. I'm sure that's the low point of rap lyrics, and that much of rap has something of more value to say. But experiences like that probably don't endear many people to rap.

Don't get the idea that I can't stand any swear words in songs. I'm not a prude. If you're going to use those words, they should add meaning or emphasis to the point the song is trying to get across. Swearing excessively for the sake of swearing just sounds like me trying to cook something in the kitchen; it serves no useful purpose. One of my all time favorite songs is "We Can Be Together" by Jefferson Airplane. It features the lyrics: "Up against the wall, motherf**ker." It would have gotten more radio play had they used another word, but it would have been a weaker song.

I didn't catch her opening monologue, but I thought Halsey did pretty well in the skits she was in, considering that she's known as a singer and not an actor or comedienne.

And I was really impressed with her second performance, where she painted a picture while singing. Neither the song nor the painting were impressive on their own, IMO, but doing them simultaneously was a very cool presentation, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    He says he got the name from a 'rap name generator'.

Donald Glover was also in The Martian and Magic Mike XXL.
    Used to write for 30 Rock ( and I guess was in a couple of episodes ).
    He has been on the TV show Atlanta for a few years, which he writes and directs.
    He also played the young Lando Calrissian in the latest Star Wars: Solo film. He's a pretty talented guy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I thought that Halsey would suck, and she didn't. I too liked the second song with the painting, and thought she did better in the skits she was in than a lot of other hosts have done.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    And then thinks... "hmm, I know where I can get the info... Google"...said Jed never.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    And then thinks... "hmm, I know where I can get the info... Google"...said Jed never.
    That's the million dollar ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's true, we could have all just Googled the 2019 Grammy awards instead of discussing it at all on PE. That would have been much easier!