Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Aussie Dollar is 50 today!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

Some of the suggestions in this thread make me cringe. Being famous on TV or in movies is not the sole criterion for judging whether someone should should be honoured by putting them on a stamp or a currency note. Indeed, I venture to suggest it's not even a particularly good criterion.
    I hope you're aware my Paul Hogan suggestion was a joke! BTW, here in Canada we have Rush stamps.. true story!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I hope you're aware my Paul Hogan suggestion was a joke! BTW, here in Canada we have Rush stamps.. true story!

I thought it was a joke, but I wasn't sure.

Stamps regularly come out in new issues, there are many issues in any given year, so I don't really have a problem with them featuring an entertainer, as long as it's someone who has has stood the test of time (like Rush, or like say John Farnham or Slim Dusty) rather than just the current pop sensation. Issues of new currency are much rarer, so I think that should be reserved for presidents, prime ministers, scientists, humanitarians, people like that.

Incidentally, can we agree that the USA has the most bland unimaginative design of any country for its currency notes? The denominations all look the same.

No.

Some of the suggestions in this thread make me cringe.
    I'm just having a little fun with you. Didn't mean to offend. It's just that the stereotype of Australia/Australians from our American (or my) perspective is kinda funny. My daughter works for a large chain of restaurants called "Outback Steakhouse." All the menu items have some Australian colloquialism, and the bathrooms (the loo, or whatever you call it in Oz) are labeled "Blokes" for men, and "Sheilas" for women. It's pure cornball. It's about as Australian as Foster's Ale.

Incidentally, can we agree that the USA has the most bland unimaginative design of any country for its currency notes? The denominations all look the same.
    I only pay attention to the number on the bill. Couldn't care less who the president on the note is. Couldn't care less what all the symbols mean, or what color the notes are.

Yes. Whenever I go to the States, I have to take extra care to look at the bills I am using. That may seem silly to an American, but in Canada all you need is the colour. Brown is 100, red is 50, green is 20, purple is 10, blue is 5.... so you get used to not scrutinizing your cash.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes. Whenever I go to the States, I have to take extra care to look at the bills I am using. That may seem silly to an American, but in Canada all you need is the colour. Brown is 100, red is 50, green is 20, purple is 10, blue is 5.... so you get used to not scrutinizing your cash.
    That's the way it is in Monopoly too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That's the way it is in Monopoly too.
    Yes, and I did once win $10 as second prize in a beauty contest. Unfortunately all the other contestants tied for first place.

New Australian $5 bill compared to 'clown puke'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/aust...bill-1.3531581

I reckon we should have famous Aussie landmarks on the notes instead of people. Uluru, Harbour Bridge, Opera House, etc....

Nick

----------
    One Flight Up | Recording Studios Sydney

Where is Bob_32 anyway? Haven't seen him posting in a while.

It's all because of the Men at Work lawsuit for plagiarizing!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.