Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting better all the time. Procol Harum: Grand Hotel.

EBAF does it for me, my favorite PH album by far.

"Is it on, Tommy?"

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    “A Souvenir of London,” which is one long cringe. They might have lost a bit of the grandeur with Exotic Birds and Fruit, but I thought it was an improvement overall.

Still haven’t heard Procol’s Ninth. I listened to Something Magic exactly once: “The Worm and the Tree” has to be the worst 70s side-long epic ever (spoken-word tracks SUCK!).
    I love Souvenir of London! Can't resist those jangly mandos.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You haven't missed much with Ninth...
    I love it myself-- Just think of it as Procol finally getting a chance to make an R&B album. Some of GB's best vocals ever, the band is furious (drumming on "Unquiet Zone" = wow) and sonically it's amazing. Even the much maligned Beatles cover is a lot of fun.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Just think of it as Procol finally getting a chance to make an R&B album..
    You just summarised very well why I don't like this album much.

R&B is still R&B, even if it is Procol Harum doing it.

Ok, I've made peace with Grand Hotel but have been spinning Home and Exotic Birds and Fruit almost non stop since yesterday! Some PH albums are just more of a peacemaker than others!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Suspended
    I was just listening again to "Fires". It's one of their most progressive songs, if progressiveness is indicated by the number of unexpected and unorthodox chord sequences. In some ways it reminds me a lot of Genesis; there is a portion of the melody that is similar to part of The Chamber of 32 Doors, off The Lamb. Yet PH are also subtly different from Genesis. It's something to do with the very dramatic, almost operatic, style of delivery.

They definitely should have closed the album with this song.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 02-14-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I was just listening again to "Fires". It's one of their most progressive songs, if progressiveness is indicated by the number of unexpected and unorthodox chord sequences. In some ways it reminds me a lot of Genesis; there is a portion of the melody that is similar to part of The Chamber of 32 Doors, off The Lamb. Yet PH are also subtly different from Genesis. It's something to do with the very dramatic, almost operatic, style of delivery.

They definitely should have closed the album with this song.
    My thoughts exactly Bob. In fact, I think "Fires" is as close as we'll ever get to Genesis accompanied by Annie Haslam!

Gary Brooker's approach to harmony is very close to Tony Banks'. I think that's because Banks was DIRECTLY influenced by early Procol Harum and might not have arrived at his beautiful way with harmonies if he hadn't had that influence.

Compare "Nothing But the Truth" with something like "Behind the Lines".

I love all of them up through exotic birds and fruit. A few dud songs here and there but grande hotel doesn't have any duds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Gary Brooker's approach to harmony is very close to Tony Banks'. I think that's because Banks was DIRECTLY influenced by early Procol Harum and might not have arrived at his beautiful way with harmonies if he hadn't had that influence.

Compare "Nothing But the Truth" with something like "Behind the Lines".
    I agree, and it's something to do with keyboard players and composers with some classical training and an affinity for the romantic and/or baroque, I think. If you listen to Kayak, you will also find similarities both to Brooker's and Banks' harmonic styles in Scherpenzeel's material. Long, shifting progressions with a lot of tension/release tricks up their sleeves.

A cover Version of Robert's Box that I find more interesting than the original

https://mellowrecords.bandcamp.com/track/roberts-box

Quote Originally Posted by hofmeyer View Post
    Grand Hotel is the epitome of Procol Harum (...in the closest / most correct definition of epitome...) Just wish they'd release it in 5.1
    I agree that it was Procol Harums high point for me too. I was also surprised by the later album "The Wells on Fire"... Great tunes and vocals but sadly lacks the young energy of 60s and 70s procol harum.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    A cover Version of Robert's Box that I find more interesting than the original

https://mellowrecords.bandcamp.com/track/roberts-box
    Different strokes I guess, bloody awful.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post

"Is it on, Tommy?"
    I was disappointed by it at first but have grown to really like it a lot. “Fresh Fruit” is worthless, and I always stop my CD before it gets to the dreadful bonus track, “Drunk Again.” Other than that, first-rate stuff. I really love the drive and energy of “Nothing but the Truth,” “The Idol” is up there with anything from the Mk. 1 band and I really get into the intensity of “Thin End of the Wedge.” The rest doesn’t stand out as much to me as those three superb songs, but it’s all good.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

"Is it on, Tommy?"
    There is something very infectious about EBAF. Not a "classic" album, but it's got some great songs!

I haven't played EBAF in years. From memory I liked 'Nothing But The Truth', 'As Strong As Samson' and 'The Idol' best.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I haven't played EBAF in years. From memory I liked 'Nothing But The Truth', 'As Strong As Samson' and 'The Idol' best.
    Yes, my top three also!

Different strokes I guess, bloody awful.
    You made me look. I agree!

Suspended
    Is the Robert of Robert's Box the same Dr Robert that the Beatles sang about?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Procol's Ninth had Leiber and Stoller as producers. Something of a mismatch, to say the least.
    Not quite so far-fetched when you think of it. Procol Harum started out in the early 60s as the Paramounts doing mostly covers of old RnB numbers like "Poison Ivy" a Leiber and Stoller tune.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Procol Harum fans might want to give "The wells on fire" a chance... Some great songs on it.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 02-18-2016 at 09:18 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Not quite so far-fetched when you think of it. Procol Harum started out in the early 60s as the Paramounts doing mostly covers of old RnB numbers like "Poison Ivy" a Leiber and Stoller tune.
    True. Also, and I've been saying this a lot lately in these forum discussions, 60's artists were quite enamored with 50's artists and as a song writing duo, Brooker and Reid would probably have been trilled to work with such a proficient and successful songwriting partnership as Lieber and Stoller from the 50's.

Heroes of sixties artists were very much of their time.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    True. Also, and I've been saying this a lot lately in these forum discussions, 60's artists were quite enamored with 50's artists and as a song writing duo, Brooker and Reid would probably have been trilled to work with such a proficient and successful songwriting partnership as Lieber and Stoller from the 50's.
    It's also worth noting that around the same time they made Home, Procol recorded a session of old rock 'n' roll numbers, heavy on the Little Richard (and including a Coasters number that wasn't a Lieber-Stoller composition). This was released many years later under the pseudonym Liquorice John Death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'm aware of that...but that was many years previously. They'd moved on since, on their proper albums at least.