Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soundcloud Has Lost $70 Million in the Last Two Years - Is Streaming Music Doomed?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Here's my feeling.

When it's stolen, I don't have to administer it.

When it's on Spotify, it's nearly the same as stolen in terms of the money we receive, but I have to administer it and give the band 50% of it and the workload of doing so is awful and daunting when balanced against the severely low amount of money.

For me, personally, I'd rather people just steal it. Then I don't have to deal with it work-wise in any way and it's between the thieves and their conscience.

P.S. Yes, the money really is that bad from Spotify that I would say this and genuinely mean it.
    Well Steve that's a very sad but totally understandable stance.

I tried free Spotify at the start, but it's not for me. My daughter is sold on the Apple streaming service though, and I certainly brought her up to respect and reward the artists. She's at University and it's simpler to have access to everything for a tenner a month. She also collects some vinyl for her favourites.

I find I'm quite jaded on new acquisitions, it's probably just a phase as I've had a turbulent year and little time to focus. I also have more music than I can ever properly listen to, I think this is the prog collectors affliction. Amazed at the breadth of knowledge of some here, I don't know how they find the time and headspace for it all.

I've also recently been clearing out my parents house of a lifetime of accumulation, it's a nightmare. I am seriously looking at my own home and wondering what I'm going to do with these many thousands of discs taking up so much space and that nobody will ever want in the future.

So if the teens aren't buying, and the Dad's (and Mum's) are slowing down, there's no real future for the recorded medium, and some form of streaming will win out in the end. It's a crying shame really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    When all art is available for free on the internet, at the click of a button, and becomes so totally devalued, will anyone bother making any new art at all I wonder? This is the way technology is taking us I fear.
    Ask Taylor Swift.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I've also recently been clearing out my parents house of a lifetime of accumulation, it's a nightmare. I am seriously looking at my own home and wondering what I'm going to do with these many thousands of discs taking up so much space and that nobody will ever want in the future.
    I had the same experience 12 years ago - clearing out all my mother's LPs that I remember listening to when I was a child. Opera, symphony and show-tunes - none of which I ever listen to - sitting in boxes in my basement until I croak.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)