Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vishnu - Between Nothingness and Eternity

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    As far as I can tell from googling, that would have been in 1979.
    You are absolutely right: Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen, Denmark 11/10/79 http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/mclaughl...rs/zmahgig.txt
    I cant remember any other major concert where I left long before it ended, but it was ridiculous.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Was that '79 show billed as MO? Most sources seem to indicate band inactivity between the 1971–1976 and 1984–1987 periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Between Nothingness & Eternity didn't do anything for you?

Try listening to Dream when you are in the mood and you can give it your attention for 25'. Remember it's 1973. This is live. There are no overdubs. No one else had ever done anything like this before. Anyone doing it was following their path.

It unfolds slowly. Don't be in a hurry. Again, it's 25' long, but the actual written structure is one page of music or less and the rest is all improvisation or improvisation within a framework ("this is a loud part. this is a quiet part. this is a part where we all show off who has the biggest dick on their instrument.") The are so many highlights, but the drum / guitar duos are unreal.

Billy Cobham's playing in those days continues to amaze me.

imo.
    indeed! waaay ahead of any Prog artist back in the day. In 1973 Prog music still had some more progression in the tank of course, but this was quite cutting edge
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    One thing I would say is that MO was the first band to really bring the ROCK into jazz/rock in a big way. Earlier fusion groups were more like jazz combos who simply picked up electric instruments and carried on much as before (albeit sometimes playing more ethereal music than '60s post-bop). MO's early NYC club gigs in 1971 were very influential; a lot of jazz musicians (such as Chick Corea) saw those gigs and realized the possibilities.
    well... Tony Williams' Lifetime - Emergency! was 1969 and Coryell had brought the ROCK sound in his music pretty good too
    but MO took it to another level for sure.

Man, 1969-1975 was the golden era when so many extraordinarily talented musicians were doing amazing things with Rock music
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?