Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten or little-known gems by popular bands

Forgotten or little-known gems by popular bands

Bands with many fans, but albums (comps included) that seem to go unnoticed by them.

Two examples:

Deep Purple (self-titled third album). IMO, their best album. Desert Island disc for me.
    Pink Floyd "Relics" -- Any PF fan should have this great "Collection of Bizarre Antiques And Curios."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Neil Youngs... on the beach
    James Taylor... on apple records debut album
    Jefferson Airplane...bless its pointed little head
    Rolling Stones... black and blue

To name a few.
    Still alive and well...

on DP's s/t 3rd album! Another case of a cover blowing away the original ("Lalena").

The entire Odessa album by the Bee-Gees, as well as most of their NY Mining Disaster debut album comes to mind, and FOR ME, MAYBE NOT YOU (generically), the .com album by Marillion, which after the 2 disc Marbles & maybe Script is my favorite Marillion album. I'm really not into symph/neo music nearly as much as I was several years ago, but I probably will never get tired of listening to "Go", "Enlightened" and the 25 minutes of imo brilliance that is "Interior Lulu/House".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Odessa is quite good!! , I'm searching for a red felt cover first issue LP if anybody has one for sale in VG or better condition!!!
    Still alive and well...

78's David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's Peter And The Wolf
    fdavid_bowie3dbdc5b10cd9dd472849f (1).jpg

One more of his releases that speaks for the damn eclectic artist the 'chameleon' was.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Joan Armatrading: Whatever’s for Us. Her debut, and maybe still my favourite album of hers.

Should I count James Newton Howard? His 1974 debut LP on the Kama Sutra label, before his Elton John association and all those soundtracks, is a real gem of keyboard-prog if you ask me.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Tom Waits - Small Change. Killer, imo, from start to finish.

The early Bee Gees albums certainly have a following, but indeed, nothing prepared me for how great they were. Over time I've come to feel that Odessa is their best as well...could do without some of the orchestral instrumentals, but otherwise I love it.

With Relics, I find it somewhat frustrating that it didn't include all the non album songs....particularly in the CD era, as they've never been as easy to come by ('Candy And A Current Bun', 'Apples And Oranges', 'It Would Be So Nice', 'Point Me At The Sky' and 'Embryo' are the five, from memory).

I could nominate many a Hollies album- certainly from For Certain Because through to Another Night, there's a lot of 'buried treasure' on those albums. Unlike the singles, which were often covers, the albums from that period were generally self-penned.

Thin Lizzy - s/t

Focus - Mother

ELO - s/t

You can't escape the other man...

Not exactly a popular band but still a gem...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Rolling Stones... black and blue
    I thought I was the only one who likes that.

I'm still pretty sure I'm the only one who likes Tyger by Tangerine Dream. In any case, I think it's amazing and easily their best post-seventies album.

Two extremely unknown

ELOY debut (up to the mid 90s)
    KROKUS 1st album (till now)
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Kraftwerk's debut:

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Tony Williams: Play or Die. It was never released on CD, which is a crying shame.

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

RUSH - Test for Echo.

This album gets slagged on Rush forums. It has some clunkers but it's nowhere as bad as the forum fans make it sound, in my opinion. Until Clockwork Angels came along, it was my favorite Rush album post-Power Windows. It's not a great Rush album, but I like it. And it's certainly "forgotten" as it wasn't represented on their R40 tour, which included something from nearly every alum.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Blaze by Herman's Hermits.

Really, not a bad album at all, and few have heard of it. As it came out in 1967 after Sgt. Pepper, it has that almost pop-psych feel to it. Sounds like they were going toward the sunshine pop sound that was becoming popular then.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Yes - Time and a word (there are others too but this one stands out for me as being under rated)
    Led Zeppelin- In through the Out door
    Rush - Caress of Steel & Roll the bones
    Genesis - and then there were three
    Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream & Lightbulb Sun(better than what followed but they don't get the props they deserve. The same could be said about Signify too probably).
    Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-11-2016 at 09:17 AM.

In the Tangerine Dream field, I would nominate their Sorcerer soundtrack and while were there, Edgar Froese's
    Macula Transfer.

Blue Oyster Cult's Spectres doesn't seem, to get the attention it deserves.

Steve Hackett--Guitar Noir--excellent album

King Crimson--Islands also seems to get little attention but what a great album!

Brand X--rarely do people mention Lancaster and Lumley's great "Marscape" album
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

The Good Rats - Tasty (1973)

Check out the cool lead break at 3:10

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Blue Oyster Cult's Spectres doesn't seem, to get the attention it deserves.
    m
    Another Blue Oyster Cult that I would nominate would be "Heaven Forbid". I think it ranks right up with some of the best stuff the band has ever done, but a lot of BOC fans are not even aware it exists.

Peter Gabriel - Birdy

Supertramp - Supertramp (1970)

Ironically, this album would probably have been better known with 'genre collectors' if credited to some obscure post-psych/vintage progressive one-off venture.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Johnny Cougar: A Biography

The only one I have from him and I still think it's better than everything The Boss has done

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Peter Gabriel - Birdy

Great how he re-used a couple of theme's from his previous albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post

Brand X--rarely do people mention Lancaster and Lumley's great "Marscape" album
    Or Peter And The Wolf for that matter (not to be confused by Bowie's ^^ or the one from Gavin Friday.