Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Live Asia Questions

Yes, the album has lots of these kinds of "direct quotes" from other pop songs. There's one that is very similar to a Cars song as well and probably a few others. Usually it'll just be a "verse from this" or a "chorus from that" so it's not like they're lifting an entire song or anything.

But still, it's probably my only complaint about the album--I do find it distracting when this kind of thing happens too much. I don't mind it once in a while, especially if they joke about it in an interview etc. It would be good if someone did ask them about these things directly as it would be good to know if they had some reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This has sort of become a general Asia thread, which is fine.

I was listening to Gravitas recently. A few observations:

- Part of Joe Dimaggio's Glove reminds me a lot of part of Supertramp's "Take the Long Way Home." I'm sure I'm not the first to mention it:

have to go to a new post to post more clips...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    There's one that is very similar to a Cars song

Found it.

1:53 - 2:01

:49 - :58

Granted, it's an eight second bit, so it's not a deal-killer, but it was kind of the song's original HOOK.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Yup, that's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Found it.

1:53 - 2:01

:49 - :58

Granted, it's an eight second bit, so it's not a deal-killer, but it was kind of the song's original HOOK.

Received a message from the official Asia mailing list regarding the new Phoenix reissue, here is a part of the text:
    ''When first released in 2008, the American edition included a different mix of the opening track Never Again and different mastering throughout. The band was aware that US fans may have a different perception of the album, because of these differences, so it has been included as a bonus disc. As this is on the band’s own label, it was able to control that the wholesale price was only increased by an amount necessary to cover the cost of manufacturing the extra disc.''

So, this confirms my suspicions: the only actual difference between the 2 cds is Never Again, which was slightly remixed for the US edition.
    All the other tracks are the same, it's just the mastering which is different between the 2 editions.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squonkduke View Post
    Received a message from the official Asia mailing list regarding the new Phoenix reissue, here is a part of the text:
    ''When first released in 2008, the American edition included a different mix of the opening track Never Again and different mastering throughout. The band was aware that US fans may have a different perception of the album, because of these differences, so it has been included as a bonus disc. As this is on the band’s own label, it was able to control that the wholesale price was only increased by an amount necessary to cover the cost of manufacturing the extra disc.''

So, this confirms my suspicions: the only actual difference between the 2 cds is Never Again, which was slightly remixed for the US edition.
    All the other tracks are the same, it's just the mastering which is different between the 2 editions.
    You're probably right - I don't know why they didn't just release one version, with the other version of Never Again as a bonus track?

My copy arrived the other day. I don't really have a good way to A/B this. I've also not ever heard the album before.