Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rush - R30 CD/DVD revisited

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    though I have no doubt that Lee in particular will move on to new projects should this be the case
    He already has:

https://soundcloud.c...eep-territory-1

Geddy Lee of RUSH played bass on the song "Territory" from Canadian indie-rock band WINTERSLEEP. The track will appear on WINTERSLEEP's new album, "The Great Detachment", which will be released on March 4 via Dine Alone Records. Fans who preorder the album will receive an instant download of "Territory".

"We were talking about how amazing RUSH was ... and how incredible Geddy Lee is," Paul Murphy, the band's lead singer, told Rolling Stone. "He can sing these incredibly complex melodies with complex lyrics, while playing perhaps even more incredibly complex bass parts, while also operating foot pedals. If there was an instrument he could play with his eyeballs, I'm sure he'd be able to!"

Lee explained how his involvement came about. "WINTERSLEEP contacted me a while ago and asked me to play bass on this track," Lee told Rolling Stone. "I had a listen and loved the song and the vibe of the band. I had a blast laying down a bunch of takes and sent them off to them. I'm happy to support a fellow Canadian band and wish them all the best with their new album."

Two years in the making, "The Great Detachment" marks a return to the organic approach of WINTERSLEEP's earlier works that simultaneously sees them reaching new pinnacles of songwriting and production. The 11-song collection was recorded at Halifax's Sonic Temple with producer Tony Doogan (BELLE & SEBASTIAN, MOGWAI).

The band recorded the majority of "The Great Detachment" live-off-the-floor, adding an organic and transparent aural aesthetic to the collection. The album is very much an introspective work, both conceptually and thematically. It delivers a welcome dose of the atmospheric, entrancing alt-rock for which the band has become known, with beautifully orchestrated arrangements anchored by haunting, almost hypnotic vocal melodies. "It's a very different energy," Murphy opines, "and one that we kind of missed."

http://www.blabbermo...VPHr6eZ8czc0.99
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    The whole set is now available as part of the R40 box and as a stand alone Bluray.

It wasn't complete when it was first released but the band recognized the mistake and reissued the whole thing several years later.
    What do you mean exactly? There are tracks from the R30 tour on the R40 set?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    You don't HAVE to pay for anything.

Can they still deliver as they did in their 20s and 30s? No, they can't.

But, I will take what they can bring in their late period. I wouldn't rule out another great album from them, but if this is it, well, thanks for the great music, guys.
    I feel the same way - CmfA was so good that I feel another studio album is possible.

^ Re your last two posts JKL2000
    The "R40" waters have been clouded somewhat by the fact that R40 is the box set containing a number of Rush shows (including R30) and R40 Live is the name of the latest live show released. I think ytserush is pointing out that the R30 show included in the R40 box set is now a complete show - unlike when R30 was first released and songs had been cut (grrr - that's the one I've got of course).

I wholeheartedly agree with you that Rush should certainly go ahead and produce another album regardless of whether they tour or not.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Interesting conversation, as I just picked up the R40 dvd when I went home to the UK for a couple of weeks and watched it over the weekend. I received the R30 dvd for Christmas not long after it came out, and while I enjoyed it I also thought it very much 'Rush By Numbers' at the time, and haven't felt that compelled to watch it again since. This is in marked contrast to the Rush in Rio and Clockwork Angels Tour films, where the band is truly on fire, whatever the aural imperfections of the former. Indeed, in the case of the CA concert it genuinely seems to be a band reborn and absolutely at the top of their game (Lee's pretty awful vocals excepted), clearly grooving on the presence of the string section and with Lifeson and Peart especially playing out of their skins.

You bring up an interesting point. The R30/R40 tours were about the band looking back (Which they never have been about. This band always likes to move forward) R30/R40 have also been the my least favorite performances in the live Rush cannon largely due to the '70s songs (There are still a few 2112, La Villa Strangiato, The Trees, maybe Xanadu...that still work live.)

I think they are a lot more inspired on the more recent material and I think that shows (to me anyway.)

Which brings us to R40. Let's just say that if this indeed proves to be the much-mooted swansong then I for one won't be that disappointed. This is the first concert film of Rush's where they genuinely appear to be terminally past their prime: the performances are stiff, slow and lacking in the finesse that has been a hallmark of Rush's live shows over the years and Lifeson especially appears to be struggling and in pain throughout, with his solos being distinctly perfunctory and showing none of the fire and willingness to go far beyond the studio versions of previous years. Peart, meanwhile, seems to have put on at least 30 pounds since the last time the band toured, and it wouldn't surprise me if this accounts for his comparative sluggishness - especially when compared with his truly astonishing performances on the CA tour. Interestingly, however, I did note that Lee's vocals improved markedly when the band moved away from the more recent material and back into the stuff from the 80s/90s in particular. In general, though, he clearly can't sing anymore. I have nothing but the deepest respect for these guys, and certainly feel that if this really is the end then they've earned the right to a long and dignified retirement (though I have no doubt that Lee in particular will move on to new projects should this be the case). Better they go out with the memory of their recent triumphs still fresh than to suffer the long, lingering and rather sad death of a band like Yes, for example.
    Although I disagree on Geddy and the most recent stuff, I agree (in general) that this was the first time that the performances were not consistently great and maybe Neil is realizes that. This got better the last few weeks of the tour, but I really think the set they chose (and I get why it was chosen and it was a cool concept) did more the harm rather than help especially once 1978 rolled around in the set.

But yeah, I think they are done with the huge machine tours and anything live will just be about the three of them in a small impromptu type of setting.

Maybe Rush is mostly done, but Geddy and Alex probably aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    ^ Re your last two posts JKL2000
    The "R40" waters have been clouded somewhat by the fact that R40 is the box set containing a number of Rush shows (including R30) and R40 Live is the name of the latest live show released. I think ytserush is pointing out that the R30 show included in the R40 box set is now a complete show - unlike when R30 was first released and songs had been cut (grrr - that's the one I've got of course).

I wholeheartedly agree with you that Rush should certainly go ahead and produce another album regardless of whether they tour or not.

Thanks for clearing that up. That's exactly what I meant.

I think the stand alone bluray of R30 is also the complete show. I don't have that version (I have it as part the R40 DVD compilation box.)

Interesting conversation, as I just picked up the R40 dvd when I went home to the UK for a couple of weeks and watched it over the weekend. I received the R30 dvd for Christmas not long after it came out, and while I enjoyed it I also thought it very much 'Rush By Numbers' at the time, and haven't felt that compelled to watch it again since. This is in marked contrast to the Rush in Rio and Clockwork Angels Tour films, where the band is truly on fire, whatever the aural imperfections of the former. Indeed, in the case of the CA concert it genuinely seems to be a band reborn and absolutely at the top of their game (Lee's pretty awful vocals excepted), clearly grooving on the presence of the string section and with Lifeson and Peart especially playing out of their skins.

Which brings us to R40. Let's just say that if this indeed proves to be the much-mooted swansong then I for one won't be that disappointed. This is the first concert film of Rush's where they genuinely appear to be terminally past their prime: the performances are stiff, slow and lacking in the finesse that has been a hallmark of Rush's live shows over the years and Lifeson especially appears to be struggling and in pain throughout, with his solos being distinctly perfunctory and showing none of the fire and willingness to go far beyond the studio versions of previous years. Peart, meanwhile, seems to have put on at least 30 pounds since the last time the band toured, and it wouldn't surprise me if this accounts for his comparative sluggishness - especially when compared with his truly astonishing performances on the CA tour. Interestingly, however, I did note that Lee's vocals improved markedly when the band moved away from the more recent material and back into the stuff from the 80s/90s in particular. In general, though, he clearly can't sing anymore. I have nothing but the deepest respect for these guys, and certainly feel that if this really is the end then they've earned the right to a long and dignified retirement (though I have no doubt that Lee in particular will move on to new projects should this be the case). Better they go out with the memory of their recent triumphs still fresh than to suffer the long, lingering and rather sad death of a band like Yes, for example.
    I have to agree. There is an element of sadness I feel when watching R40. That second set is still pretty good, though. Maybe it's memory filling in missing details, but I'll take it.

Rush are not a constantly working band because they clearly don't need to be. But at their age, they can no longer get away with long periods of time off and expect to get back up to speed after a few weeks of rehearsal. Thus, expecting them to be spot on night after night on a major tour is no longer realistic.

Who should expect that of them at this point? They've probably made the decision, quite rightly, that it's over for them, as they've known it. I kind of feel though, that they aren't quite done yet. Maybe, maybe not. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    I have to agree. There is an element of sadness I feel when watching R40. That second set is still pretty good, though. Maybe it's memory filling in missing details, but I'll take it.

Rush are not a constantly working band because they clearly don't need to be. But at their age, they can no longer get away with long periods of time off and expect to get back up to speed after a few weeks of rehearsal. Thus, expecting them to be spot on night after night on a major tour is no longer realistic.

Who should expect that of them at this point? They've probably made the decision, quite rightly, that it's over for them, as they've known it. I kind of feel though, that they aren't quite done yet. Maybe, maybe not. I guess we'll see.

Neil has clearly made that decision.

That's the problem they face.

There may be something on a smaller scale with less expectations, but the massive production tours are no more.