Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: In defense of the CD

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Really? Well you should start reading the names of the people you respond to then. And your attitude in the above response is exactly the type of condescending and arrogant shite I've come to expect from you.
    You really turn what should be lighthearted discussion about musical matters into a fucking battle zone every time you post!
    You come across as a highly unpleasant individual.
    I'm unconcerned with your perception of me as arrogant.

I *am* concerned with whether or not I'm right - on this or any other issue I register an opinion on - so any quality competing arguments, relevant facts I hadn't considered, or different applications of the existing facts are always welcome.

If you consider a series of brief, one-sentence rebuttals that pertain strictly to the topic at hand to be a "battle zone," I don't really know what to say, except that I completely disagree with that interpretation of the exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Nowadays, 50% of the albums getting a first issue have cardboard-only artworks (no CD jewel case or Digipak CD tray), so the plastic factor is steadily being phased out. .
    It took the labels some 30 years (and the collapse of the CD market as they originally perceived it) to wake up and understand that artwork matters, even for these little silver disks...
    Last edited by spacefreak; 02-17-2016 at 02:02 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    In the defense of the CD, hmmmm...Adele said FU to all the streaming sites and sold well over 8 million of those things...So, if kinda forced to hear the album, ppl will buy
    Though she did sell a fair amount of vinyls, from what I gather (they might be quicker OOP than the CD, if they didn't calculate the amount pressed correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Manufacture CDs in 12x12 packaging, complete with artwork.
    you mean cm (mini-lp is 12x12 or 13x13) or inches (vinyls are 12x12 as well)??

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It took the labels some 30 years (and the collapse of the CD market as they originally perceived it) to wake up and understand that artwork matters, even for these little silver disks...
    Well TBH, very few albums from the 90's and 80's have worthy enough artworks to blow up to 12x12" (or 30x30 cm)

I mean, even Gilmour's Floyd artworks were not losing anything in reduced CD formats (with maybe the Pulse album cover as the some exception)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Streaming is one of the very best solutions to piracy - makes sense.
    I'd suggest instead that one of the very best solutions to piracy would be one that fairly compensates all involved.

Taylor made several hundred thousand in the brief time her content was available on Spotify - and would have raked in a few million if it remained there. I am sure she lost way more than that to piracy over time - - -
    Do you have a source for this? I always heard artists made pennies from Spotify, not millions.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Do you have a source for this? I always heard artists made pennies from Spotify, not millions.
    Swift made millions

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7...etta-royalties

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    She made serious coin - the numbers are cloaked, but I can't understand why she would pull this revenue stream when this action only promotes piracy. Her demographic are rampant thiefs/pirates . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I'd suggest instead that one of the very best solutions to piracy would be one that fairly compensates all involved.
    That goes without saying and ethically sound - I totally agree. Bottom line is that pirates just don't care . . .

Students at my university are moving to streaming, if only for convenience. Many kids hate the idea of having to manage files across multiple devices, or actually handle/store physical media too . . . they prefer a single login to Spotify (for example) and everything's right there.

Many kids are still stealing music though - especially DJ's - who undercut my own kid (who's legally paid for his entire catalog) by a few hundred dollars per gig. Again - the customers don't care where the music came from, they just want to party.

It's a very complicated issue . . .

It's a very complicated issue . . .
    And kind of surprising the Big Brains in the music industry allowed themselves to get to this position -- first with non-copy-protected digital files, then with obliviousness as Napster took advantage of their oversight, and finally to respond with lawsuits and price rises which alienated their customers and only fostered the culture of free downloading.