Thread: CNN's Michael Smerconish---proghead?

CNN's Michael Smerconish---proghead?

I saw this interview a few days ago and forgot about it until today...Smerconish had Art Garfunkel on for a short interview to discuss Bernie Sanders using "America" in a campaign ad (I liked Art saying he didn't have a problem letting Bernie use "his" song). Anyway, at the end Smerconish asks him how he likes Jon Anderson and Yes' version of the song. I almost did a spit-take...that's a fairly obscure cover and it would seem that Smerconish must know a little bit about prog, if he is aware of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6UzS8K7IxA

Art wasn't too hot on other versions of the song, it seems...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

The fact that Smerconish mentioned Jon Anderson by name and did'nt just reference YES leads me to think that he has more than just a passing knowledge of YES (and possibly Prog in general)

Dave Weigel, a political reporter who often appears on the cable news shows is a progga; writing a book iirc.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I would not doubt it. He is in his 50 s and grew up in the Delaware Valley, one of Yes' bigger if not biggest fan bases in the 70 s. He ended a show today with a reference to Stealers Wheels Stuck In The Middle With You when reading back viewers' tweets about his ever changing political views (staunch conservative until about 8 years ago). So he is well versed I would think.

He's a well known Yes fan----has been all his life---has been trying to get them in hall of fame like so many others.

Hopefully (not that it matters really) Yes will get in before he dies, unlike Sherman Helmsley.

Smerconish sold his soul for that tv show as he was a conservative radio talk show host in the phila area before quitting radio and was a big yes fan from way back but is now a big lib Hilliary supporter and loser. I once called his radio show to tell him that his big hero and so called friend (at that time in 2009 his friend who was Ted Nugent ) was a one hit wonder but had the right to talk politics to his dwindiling audience at a ted nugent concert. Suckkonish was so pissed at me for saying Ted was a one hit wonder and a has been he came from the commercial break and started playing a live version of Ted playing the star spnagled banner on his guitar which sounded nothing like it and was saying how great of an artist he was .....Now Smerconish has no ratings and noone cares about him and his opinions about anything.....

Smerconish sold his soul for that tv show as he was a conservative radio talk show host in the phila area before quitting radio and was a big yes fan from way back but is now a big lib Hilliary supporter and loser. I once called his radio show to tell him that his big hero and so called friend (at that time in 2009 his friend who was Ted Nugent ) was a one hit wonder but had the right to talk politics to his dwindiling audience at a ted nugent concert. Suckkonish was so pissed at me for saying Ted was a one hit wonder and a has been that he came from the commercial break and started playing a live version of Ted playing the star spangled banner on his guitar which sounded nothing like it and was saying how great of an artist he was comparing him to Hendrix.....Now Smerconish has no ratings and noone cares about him and his opinions about anything.....Im surprised anybody even watches CNN unless there is a national emergency and im guessing you just accidently came upon that interview while flipping the channels
    Last edited by ZEPPELIN4EVER; 02-07-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEPPELIN4EVER View Post
    Smerconish sold his soul for that tv show as he was a conservative radio talk show host in the phila area before quitting radio and was a big yes fan from way back but is now a big lib Hilliary supporter and loser. I once called his radio show to tell him that his big hero and so called friend (at that time in 2009 his friend who was Ted Nugent ) was a one hit wonder but had the right to talk politics to his dwindiling audience at a ted nugent concert. Suckkonish was so pissed at me for saying Ted was a one hit wonder and a has been that he came from the commercial break and started playing a live version of Ted playing the star spangled banner on his guitar which sounded nothing like it and was saying how great of an artist he was comparing him to Hendrix.....Now Smerconish has no ratings and noone cares about him and his opinions about anything.....Im surprised anybody even watches CNN unless there is a national emergency and im guessing you just accidently came upon that interview while flipping the channels
    He changed parties when the party went mental--and were in charge during a great depression and stupid wars---people in my family did the same thing---everything went to shit by 2008-----think he considers himself an independent.

I'll occasionally see posts on here where someone mentions a celebrity is into RUSH or YES or Pink Floyd or Genesis or whoever and even if the celebrity or noted personality just mentions one song or one album by a band the poster will say "is such and such a prog fan?" First of all almost all of these bands are also classic rock bands and being that most people don't even know what prog is it's highly likely they themselves think of them as just classic rock or regular rock bands and not prog bands. There are some exceptions but usually I think most of them don't have a clue about prog in general. Also, I have spent time on a Yes forum and a Rush forum and other music forums and while there certainly are people on them who know what prog is I'd say at least some of them don't and even the ones who do aren't necessarily into them. I know of at least a few people on the Yes fans forum who aren't into many other prog bands other than YES and at least one guy who only likes YES and his other favorites are Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, ZZ Top, etc.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEPPELIN4EVER View Post
    Smerconish sold his soul for that tv show as he was a conservative radio talk show host in the phila area before quitting radio and was a big yes fan from way back but is now a big lib Hilliary supporter and loser.

.....Im surprised anybody even watches CNN unless there is a national emergency and im guessing you just accidently came upon that interview while flipping the channels
    How do you really feel? Surprise (!)........my wife and I actually flip on CNN on *purpose* every once in a while - actually enjoy watching it sometimes too. I hope that doesn't upset you too much now

I wonder if I can get him to get me paid for writing one of the classical anchor themes for the Iraq coverage back in the day. It was on pretty much all year several times a day and then used for an African programme after that. So far it's netted just under £25 ...gotta love the people who bring us truth and justice. (Ahem)

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    He changed parties when the party went mental--and were in charge during a great depression and stupid wars---people in my family did the same thing---everything went to shit by 2008-----think he considers himself an independent.
    Yep, he came to his senses (to some degree) long before he got that CNN gig. Like many, he was driven away from his own party when it was hijacked by crackpots. I believe he's gay, isn't he? That was clearly a factor in declaring his independence.

FWIW, I hate CNN. They are anything but liberal, nearly anything but news. More nonsense and self-promotion than anything, IMHO. Cable Nonsense Network.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Seeing how he's into Yes and thus necessarily makes for a prog fan, he's undoubtedly into Zs, Big Big Train, Albert Marcoeur, Citadel, Uz Jsme Doma, Elias Hulk, L'Engoulevent, Horizonte, Mr. Bungle, Shingetsu, Schtung, Duncan Mackay, Itoiz, Modry Efekt, Tasavallan Presidentti, Happy Family, Phoenix, Ange, Lagger Blues Machine, Fruupp and not least Korni Grupa as well.

This is how things work.

At least in here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Partially. He's more of a Classic Rock guy. He's actually kind of a dick. Lots of attitude. I met him at a Kansas concert at the Keswick (the night I talked to them about potentially filling in for Camel if they had to cancel). I had an extra NF program from 2002 with me, so when I saw him in the row behind me after the show, I figured I'd introduce myself and give him the program, which I did, since I knew he was into some prog rock. I even invited him to check out NF as a guest. He pretty much took the program and blew me off. I thought he was a shoe-in to come see a prog festival for free. Not so.
    Chad