Thread: FEATURED CD - Už Jsme Doma : Caves

FEATURED CD - Už Jsme Doma : Caves

Per Allmusic:
    Uz Jsme Doma are second only to the legendary Plastic People of the Universe in the iconography of maverick Czech rock bands, having emerged from a scene where "alternative" meant a lot more than just a marketing format. The Plastic People started battling the fascistic Czech government in the ‘60s, and UJD formed in 1985, just four years before the Velvet Revolution liberated the country's culture. It was then that Uz Jsme Doma finally began recording, and more than two decades later, singer/guitarist/pianist Miroslav Wanek still leads the band's idiosyncratic punk-prog charge on Caves. As ever, Uz Jsme Doma deliver complex, challenging tunes requiring a degree of technical proficiency generally found only in progressive rock, while simultaneously achieving a raw, visceral, punk-inflected power. These two elements might seem hopelessly disparate until you realize that even punk pioneer John Lydon was influenced by the likes of Van der Graaf Generator, and that UJD are most closely related to the European Rock in Opposition branch of prog, at least partially based around artists responding to sociopolitical issues with confrontational music. Yet for all the hammering beats, odd time signatures, and quirky melodic turns of Caves, it's far from being an inaccessible album. The fleet-fingered riffs and death-defying rhythms are delivered with a mix of polished precision and pure passion that appeals simultaneously to the head and the heart (not to mention the ear). Adam Tomásek's trumpet is as dominant a voice in the arrangements as the guitar, and it blasts out bold melodic lines that blur the boundaries between classical, jazz, and Eastern European folk, while bassist Pepa Cervinka and drummer Tomás Paleta churn up stormy grooves underneath, and the whole thing is held together by Wanek's dynamically shifting song structures and in-your-face vocals. The lyrics are all in Czech, but the booklet contains English translations, as well as the artwork of painter Martin Velísek, who is credited on Caves as a full member of the band.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/caves-mw0002033053

Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh man I love this album. I'd never heard of them before Cuneiform released this one. It's probably still my favorite but I've been grabbing up lots more stuff. Their DVD is probably one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing them at RIO this year.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oh man I love this album. I'd never heard of them before Cuneiform released this one. It's probably still my favorite but I've been grabbing up lots more stuff. Their DVD is probably one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing them at RIO this year.
    We almost got them for Progday a few years ago...Really disappointed that it didn't materialize.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    We almost got them for Progday a few years ago...Really disappointed that it didn't materialize.
    Yeah I heard about that. That would have been outstanding
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Get them now!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

...The Plastic People started battling the fascistic Czech government in the ‘60s
    Dear Allmusic critic: Dubček’s “government” wasn’t “fascistic”, although it was undoubtedly totalitarian.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

All wonderful. Great band.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Dear Allmusic critic: Dubček’s “government” wasn’t “fascistic”, although it was undoubtedly totalitarian.
    QFT.

Uz Jsme Doma remains one of the greatest livebands I ever saw. Many years back when I was hiking in Europe and had a five day stopover in the Czech Republic, in Brno along with almost equally stupendous performances by MCH Band, Domaci Kâpela and Ser Un Peyalero. Of course, at the time I didn't know any of these groups - but hot damn were they excellent! It was essentially this that triggered and transfixed my still ongoing fascination with Czech underground rock.

Caves is absolutely one of the very strongest UJD releases, perhaps alongside Rybi Tuk (Cod Liver Oil) and Pohadky Ze Zapotrebi (Fairytales from Needland), the latter arguably the ultimate merger of punk and progressive *this* listener has heard.

I was hoping to get to this year's RIO, very much so in order to catch UJD for the first time in over 20 years.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Caves is absolutely one of the very strongest UJD releases, perhaps alongside Rybi Tuk (Cod Liver Oil) and Pohadky Ze Zapotrebi (Fairytales from Needland), the latter arguably the ultimate merger of punk and progressive *this* listener has heard.

I was hoping to get to this year's RIO, very much so in order to catch UJD for the first time in over 20 years.
    I'm pretty much in agreement on the album ranking, would be great to meet you at RIO if you can make it.
    Ian

They played in Toronto a few years back and were a very fun, and musically compelling band. They'd be a good fit for Progday, for sure.

neil

Love the band, yet I do not consider Caves as good as their earlier albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Get them now!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    would be great to meet you at RIO if you can make it.
    Well hell, I plan to go just about every year, but there's either job or parent responsibilities and sometimes a question of finances getting in the way. GREAT lineup for 2016, though - and I'd especially want to see UJD and Upsilon.

As for UJD appearing at more "general" prog-rock events, I find that the band is excitingly easy to enjoy even by the standards of the hardliners - the Czech vocals notwithstanding. They have compelling, clear-cut melodies, massive force and groove delivered through excellent means, and they always succeed their mission to stir up an audience with either joy or wonder. And furthermore; this band is vitally popular amongst underground crowds, mainly in Czech/Slovak and continental Europe but also to some extent in Japan and with an erstwhile (i.e. non-"prog") cultish fanbase even in the US. Several nominal artists (notably Morphine and Lightning Bolt) have mentioned them as source of encouragement, which is always good.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

never heard this one.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great band with a long history, but relatively few studio releases. They haven't done a bad album, although if you don't know them I'd definitley start with the more recent ones as the production is noticeably better on the last three. Those who liked Fairytales from Needland should get hold of the re-issued version "Pohádek ze Zapotřebí znovuudělání fortelné" which was a complete re-recording of the album with different musicians and a different track order and some new sections. Its superb and I no longer play the old version - you can find it at http://www.indies.eu/us/alba/1118/po...lani-fortelne/ along with all the others. I'd encourage all Cardiacs fans to try this band out -they occupy a similar terrain, but you do have to get used to the Czech vocals. Here's a clip which gives some idea of their stage shows -the audio is poor but it's still worth watching:

^

They released an excellent DVD of one of their performances in Japan about 7-8 years back (I remember reviewing it for some magazine), and this reveals their astonishing stamina on stage; playing this material with such a Level of energy, dedication and conviction - you really need to be completely at home in your game to be able.

The comparison with Cardiacs is fair in terms of expression, although UJD are *very* conscious about their origins - lingually, culturally and in their twist on Bohemian folk and ethnic tone - and their approach was always much more 'militant' than Smith & co, with march pulse, shouted choruses etc.

very much like this sample tune, gonna order a couple of these
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Yet another band I've never heard of before....loved the camples above....will have to investigate further...thx.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    I'd encourage all Cardiacs fans to try this band out -they occupy a similar terrain, but you do have to get used to the Czech vocals.
    Interesting that you should say that: I happened to discover UJD at almost exactly the same time I discovered Cardiacs and, as a result, they got a bit neglected. I've recently got back into them in a big way, so at the moment they're probably my No 2. Love the Czech vocals, partly because languages fascinate me, and I'm quite partial to Czech. Anyway, my pick would be Rybi Tuk, as it contains my two big faves, "Mlha" and "Chvile".

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Love the band, yet I do not consider Caves as good as their earlier albums.
    I'm in this camp as well. For me Unloved World is their tops.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Great band with a long history, but relatively few studio releases. They haven't done a bad album, although if you don't know them I'd definitley start with the more recent ones as the production is noticeably better on the last three. Those who liked Fairytales from Needland should get hold of the re-issued version "Pohádek ze Zapotřebí znovuudělání fortelné" which was a complete re-recording of the album with different musicians and a different track order and some new sections. Its superb and I no longer play the old version - you can find it at http://www.indies.eu/us/alba/1118/po...lani-fortelne/ along with all the others. I'd encourage all Cardiacs fans to try this band out -they occupy a similar terrain, but you do have to get used to the Czech vocals. Here's a clip which gives some idea of their stage shows - ...
    Thanks!.
    I only have Usi/Ears from 1999 and like it a lot ... no problem w/the vocals too.
    Need to explore more their music definitely!.

Pura Vida!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Those who liked Fairytales from Needland should get hold of the re-issued version "Pohádek ze Zapotřebí znovuudělání fortelné" which was a complete re-recording of the album with different musicians and a different track order and some new sections. Its superb and I no longer play the old version - you can find it at http://www.indies.eu/us/alba/1118/po...lani-fortelne/
    Thx for this; I've been wanting to hear the new version since I heard about it coming to being, but I've been unable to find it anywhere. It's notable how many folks see the original rendition of Zapotrebi as the worst UJD recording (production-wise) - yet it was the first of theirs that I got, and it still made one helluvan impression on both me and my friends at the time.

Obviously they weren't too happy about it themselves either.