Thread: Mike Oldfield - rate the releases

Suspended

Mike Oldfield - rate the releases

This is not a list for the sake of a list, but rather for my own information as I really know only a small portion of his catalogue.

Incantations is the only album I own. That was one of the most serendipitious purchases I have made, being basically a lucky dip from a bargain bin.

I've heard Tubular Bells (of course) and think it's OK but a bit indulgent. I was tempted to say "over-rated", except that it needs to be considered in the context of when it was released, at which time it was certainly groundbreaking.

I heard bits of Hergest Ridge at one time and remember thinking it sounded better than Tubuilar Bells, but based on just one hearing, so not sure.

The only other album I have heard in full is Songs of Distant Earth, which I sought out mainly because I had read the Arthur C Clarke story from which it drew inspiration. I found it (the album) surprisingly boring; very New-Agey but not in a good way.

Tubular Bells A
    Hergest Ridge B
    Ommadawn A+
    Incantations B
    Platinum B-

I more or less lost interest after (or during) Platinum, and got off the Oldfield bus. But I have heard good things about Amarok.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of his more pastoral approach & generally think they drop off after Incantations and then get a lot more patchy after Crises with a couple of major exceptions. He generally go more poppy after Incantations. Amarok is excellent but very very different.

Ommadawn A+
    Hergest Ridge A
    Tubular Bells A-
    Incantations A-
    Amarok A-
    Songs Of Distant Earth B+
    Platinum B
    QE2 B-
    Crises B-
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Great:

Ommadawn
    Incantations
    Amorak

Good:

Five Miles Out
    Hergest Ridge

The rest range from pretty good to meh IMO.
    Last edited by zravkapt; 02-02-2016 at 11:08 AM.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

GREAT:
    Tubular Bells
    Hergest Ridge
    Ommadawn
    Amarok

Good:
    Bits and pieces of everything else. I have "Elements" (which I cut down to a single CD) and another compilation I made of everything else. I was surprised, doing this, at how much really awful music Mike has put out.

It's the first three (TB/HR/Ommadawn), then everything else for me. Those first three remain exceptional.

Not sure if it's a coincidence that the decline on Incantations coincides with his involvement in that 'Exegesis' therapy.

I sense him almost getting back to the early level of form for a time in the 90s, with Amarok and TBII- back to long-form writing again. But not much I've heard from him after that suggests this was sustained.

My fav would be Incantations, more due to my like of Maddy Prior.

Tubular Bell II has some interesting stuff on it.
    Hyfi
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Systen - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS 400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergystic Reserch
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Secondary - Oppo 93 > Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos+> Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs & Zip Cord

Suspended
    I can understand certain people not liking Incantations, but I love it. Granted, it is much the same style throughout, but the themes keep developing, and for me it never gets boring.

Certainly it sounds to me much more like a properly constructed work than the much lauded Tubular Bells, where I always thought he said "OK, we need a bit of this, let's put that here... and some of that, that can go there...".

Incantations is too long IMHO. I think there's a very good single album there, buried within a padded-out double. I also think it's smoother than the first three...and to its detriment.

Amarok
    Ommadawn
    Tubular Bells

Hergest Ridge just feels juvenile compared to these others IMO.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Tubular Bells II, III, IV, Live, Orchestral, TB for Wind Band, TB for Kazoo, TB for Harp, TB for Frame Drum, TB for Whistling Meerkats all nonessential.

Incantations, Ommadawn and 5 Miles Out are the essentials IMO.

1. O
    2. I
    3. A

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Tubular Bells II, III, IV, Live, Orchestral, TB for Wind Band, TB for Kazoo, TB for Harp, TB for Frame Drum, TB for Whistling Meerkats all nonessential.
    You forgot TB part 1 for two pianos and two synthesizers and for four pianos (And this one exists, I own it)

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    1. O
    2. I
    3. A
    Yeah, that was my top 3 as well.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

TB - A
    Hergest Ridge - A-
    Ommadawn - A-
    Incantations - B
    Five Miles Out - B-
    Crises - C+
    QE2 - B- or C+
    Discovery - C+
    Islands - B (has a great 20 minute piece of music on one half, so-so vocal tracks on the other, well 'Northpoint' is very good)
    Amarok - A
    Heavens Open - C- for the vocal side, and A- for the instrumental
    TB 2 - A-
    Songs of Distant Earth - B
    Milennium Bell - B-
    TB 3 - C
    Voyager - B
    Tubular Bells 2003 - A (though just a 2003 version of the original, with John Cleese as MC)
    Guitars - B-
    Light & Dark - C

he also has an all vocal one that I'd give a C- at best, but I don't recall the name of it.

The reason I really like TB is the haunting chord sequences and melodies that he doesn't seem to do much of on any other releases. Some painful beauty in there. But it also has sections that are lesser than anything on HR or Ommadawn...

Ommadawn is hands down my favourite. The last few minutes of side one is, to these ears, some of the most blisteringly righteous music ever recorded.
    Just looking through the clusterfuck of my bookshelf to find the exact quote from a book of Melody Maker interviews (I can't, unfortunately) but if I remember, Mike Oldfield described that part as him being reborn from his mother's vagina.
    It sounds like it too.

I adore all of Incantations too. At times it has a strong Steve Reich minimalist kind of vibe which is very much the kind of thing I was listening to in my late teens when I was really digesting it.

Tubular Bells was my way in to him when I was about 13 and I love it too.

Hergest Ridge is wonderful, particularly that devastating riff where the sky cracks open and the face of God reveals itself.

I heard Crises about two decades later. I thought parts were good but as an album it didn't have the magic for me.

I listened to Amarok a few times after reading him talk about it on Innerviews. I enjoyed it but it didn't grab me the way his first four had. I put that down more to where I was at when I heard it, rather than the album itself. Perhaps I'll give it another spin.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 02-04-2016 at 09:44 AM.

No love for The Sallyangie?

Hey, I bought that 2-CD edition of The Sallyangie album for $10 at a record convention, and it's worth it for Mike Oldfield's guitar improvisations on the bonus disc.
    Anyway, I like T.B., H.R., Ommadawn, and parts of Incantations (should've been a single album, too much filler/repetition), and there's some good stuff on T.B.2.
    I'd also recommend his appearances on the albums of Kevin Ayers, David Bedford and Tom Newman.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    No love for The Sallyangie?
    Not especially But I do quite like some of Sally Oldfield's solo stuff. 'Water Bearer', 'Natasha', and 'Secret Songs' are nice albums. And whatever one has 'Love Song' on it, she's amazing on that song.