Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD - Within Temptation : Mother Earth

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My problem with most of this music is that there's usually little interesting going on instrumentally, with solos and such. There's little in the way of soloing.
    This is a major reason why I'm surprised to find this album as a featured album on PE. Not all progressive music is focused on virtuosity but a lot of it is, and a lot of Symphonic Metal (especially Within Temptation) comes very close to Pop in terms of its conventional song structures and absence of instrumental focus.

But 'Prog' and Symphonic Metal are two of my favourite genres, so I'm prepared to believe that there is a kinship beneath the apparent disparity. Mother Earth is just a brilliant album, and 'The Promise' would certainly be one of my favourite WT songs: there may not be much instrumental virtuosity on that track but the singing is extraordinary. There's also a measure of theatricality about the songs on this album ... more so than the more recent WT albums.

I think that Symphonic Metal, in terms of general 'image', has the same problems that Prog had maybe twenty years ago. It's terminally uncool ... even admitting to liking it here makes me uneasy! But Nightwish's latest album beat out Hand. Cannot. Erase. for my album of the year last year so I'd have to say that however middle of the road these bands may appear they are certainly producing some wonderful music.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    If you nedd something harder, try this weird Barbie then:

In This Moment - Adrenalize - Blood at the Orpheum Show (2014)
    Maria is cool. met her last year after a show when she was touring Mid-South. it was a very warm and sultry day but she was very pleasant with the few of us who got to meet her. she looked exhausted from the heat, yet that didn't stop her from being a real trooper. she spoke enthusiastically about her son, whom she had when she was only 15 and let us preview a painting she was working on while touring. she's quite the artist. we were able to ask a few questions which she answered admirably even though some were quite stupid. she obviously loves entertaining as much as the music. of course, I made the pin drop moment. I told her she reminded me of a hybrid between Lady Gaga and the nurses from Silent Hill. that seemed to go over like a lead balloon. once she noticed I was quite embarrassed, she smiled, gave me a wink and said I love Silent Hill! for the curious, that cleavage certainly demands attention. voluptuous woman indeed!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    Maria is cool. met her last year after a show when she was touring Mid-South. it was a very warm and sultry day but she was very pleasant with the few of us who got to meet her. she looked exhausted from the heat, yet that didn't stop her from being a real trooper. she spoke enthusiastically about her son, whom she had when she was only 15 and let us preview a painting she was working on while touring. she's quite the artist. we were able to ask a few questions which she answered admirably even though some were quite stupid. she obviously loves entertaining as much as the music. of course, I made the pin drop moment. I told her she reminded me of a hybrid between Lady Gaga and the nurses from Silent Hill. that seemed to go over like a lead balloon. once she noticed I was quite embarrassed, she smiled, gave me a wink and said I love Silent Hill! for the curious, that cleavage certainly demands attention. voluptuous woman indeed!
    Cool story.

A band that I think are very underrated: Akin from France.

They aren't really that much metal and have lots of strings and flutes. Adeline Gurtler has a very
    sweet voice...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    A band that I think are very underrated: Akin from France.
    New one to me, but that video persuaded me to buy it and give them a go. They definitely need some help with their production sound: it's not bloated, like most Symphonic Metal, but it does sound rather thin.

I have this CD

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I have this CD
    Congratulations!

I took my son to see a stage production of "Beauty and the Beast" Sunday (the Disney version) - it was performed by kids, they have multiple casts and they travel around the area performing it. So those goddamned songs have been going around in my head since then. And I just had what I'm certain is a great idea: some band should record a Beauty and the Beast-metal version of Beauty and the Beast, using those songs.

Some guy in DC recently staged a Prog-Metal version of Sweeney Todd, and I'm sure this would be equally bizarre and good! Anyone is free to use my idea - maybe The Laser's Edge can make it happen!