Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I'm Too Old To Prog 'n Roll

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I've actually started to like metal more as I age.

But I am officially an old man, as I have an almost constant stream in my head of, "These damn kids and their awful hip-hop crap ..."
    That's not an age thing, it's just good sense.

Is there any metal with Kermit or Ernie vocals?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Is there any metal with Kermit or Ernie vocals?
    Dunno, but there's Hatebeak, a metal band with an avian vocalist (a parrot).
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Baby cockatoos sound like death metal. All they'd need is a rhythm section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQzI7Fb2EMU

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I dig them, especially black metal shrieks and grindcore/crust growls, but I don't want them messed up in any other music style than extreme metal or ***core.
    Well, I dig non-metal growling and wailing too, e.g. Captain Beefheart, Edgar Broughton, Tom Waits, Siouxsie Sioux...

Extreme metal has to be really extreme, thus the LESS technical possible.
    I don't mind technical proficiency of musicians, but only if their craftsmanship serves the creation of fresh music and not its re-creation. I like the aleatory aspect in every kind of music I listen to, in the sense that musicians play in an unpredictable unorthodox way. I do not like any "correct" music, I am expecting an element of unpredictability ("sloppiness"), which IMO gives it a human touch.

The "sloppy" music I like the best is typically played by talented musicians, but such situation happens mainly when a new music genre coalesces (usually unnamed at that time) and skilled musicians jump on it trying to figure out how to play it "right", taking risks and making a lot of "wrong" sounds. However, as soon as the genre gets codified with its own rules followed faithfully by the next generation of professional craftsmen, I usually jump off the ship because everything starts to be recreated/replayed/perfected according to the cookbook.

Think of Cream or Jimi Hendrix Experience - these were all experienced players, but they did not know how heavy rock music should sound. Along their way they tried a lot of different things, made a lot of "mistakes" and incorporated many diverse elements into their primal hard-rock stuff. A decade later hard-rock would be a codified genre, trimmed down to the most commercially viable framework of muscular riffs, steadily pounding drums and flashy solos.

Many genres had similar trajectory from the anarchic experimentalism to the tyranny of professional chops&licks (that's usually when the new "genre" name gets officially registered), but for me it is always the first phase, in popular music typically no more than 10 years, that is the most fruitful and exciting.

Ain't the first Sepultura split LP the best they did after Beneath the Remains?
    I have not listened to their early stuff for ages, but for me it is Roots that takes the cake. Their farewell (to Max Cavalera) live album Under A Pale Grey Sky is terrific too; actually one of the best live albums of the 90s. I have never wanted to check what happened to them after Max left...
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 02-09-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Oh, how I wish for this excellent band to become fully instrumental or get a less sludgy vocalist...
    Hmmm, that's interesting, never heard them referred to as sludgy vocals. Both guitarists sing in the band, with one (Sacha Dunable) handling the growling, and having a rouger sounding clean voice, and the other (Dave Timnick), singer more melodic clean parts, and providing harmonies on some sections. I quite like the combination.

They are certainly capable of creating awesome instrumental songs, like the title track from Valley of Smoke, and the epic 16-plus minute Reptilian Brain, from Prehistoricisms.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I have Damnation, Heritage and Pale Communion, none of which have growl vocals, but I have not heard Watershed. Is it "clean" like those three, or its it growly?
    No, but there are a few "clean" only vocal songs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Why am I not surprised? It's the obvious follow up to Deathtongue...

Deathtongue_Bloom_County.jpg
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Baby cockatoos sound like death metal. All they'd need is a rhythm section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQzI7Fb2EMU
    That could be released-as-is.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I bought the Willie Nelson/Merle haggard LP yesterday.... And enjoyed its first spin!!!!
    Still alive and well...