Thread: Omar Farul Tekbilek

Omar Farul Tekbilek

Anyone else into this guy?

I have a couple of his CD's and they are pretty cool, Crescent Moon (w/Steve Roach) and One Truth...

I have almost everything he's done, he has a great ear for talent and puts together a different great band for every album. He mixes artists you wouldn't think would go together: jazz players, ethnic musicians, new age musicians...

Unfortunately, the albums tend to sound pretty homogeneous within themselves, but I created a sampler with different tracks from different albums that sounds very colorful.

WAIT A SEC -- I was mixing him up with Rabih Abou-Khalil! Sorry!

Omar Faruk Tekbilek, I have three solo albums -- Whirling (1994), One Truth, (1999) and Alif, (2002) -- and he appears on Brian Keane's great albums Suleyman The Magnificent (1988), Fire Dance (1990) and Beyond The Sky (1992) as well as Roach's Crescent Moon (1998). There are several others listed on his Wiki page. Great ney player & percussionist!

Check out oudist Abou-Khalil too if you like Tekbilek. Also Ara Dinkjian and his band Night Ark.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 01-31-2016 at 10:24 PM.

I have Whirling as well, and used to have another one. About 25 years ago, I was just working my way into world music through new age labels like Celestial Harmonies; now I prefer my world music as "traditional" as possible, without synths, etc.