Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post Punk

Post War Glamour Girls - Sestra (Pink Fur/2014)

Last edited by proggosaurus; 02-03-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

White Lies - Big TV (2013)

TRAAMS - Grin (2013)

i.ain't.dead.irock

Maybe a little less abstract than you're looking for, but maybe Echo and the Bunnymen?

Agreed on The Soft Boys' Underwater Moonlight...a kind of angular take on Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd.

Frogbelly and Symphony - Blue Bright Ow Sleep (2015)

The Leather Nun - Just Like A Dream (Whatever/2015)

Merry-Go-Round - BBQ (POW/2013)

Damaged Bug - Cold Hot Plumbs (2015)
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Interesting, because most of this stuff I considered part of New Wave, but I guess I just considered anything from that time that wasn't punk, prog, or rap (or rockabilly or whatever) to be new wave. I can see how a genre name might be needed - I just don't like the "post" prefixed ones. Somehow proto- works better than post- for me. Is any Echo and the Bunnymen post-punk?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Their singer Mick Lynch died after an illness last month, another sad loss in the recent today wave of rock deaths.
    Yes -I only discovered that today after looking them up. I was pleased to find an hour long documentray about Stump has just been broadcast -you can listen to it here: https://www.ucc.ie/en/983fm/documentaries/stump/. A documentary about Stump was something I never thought I'd hear!

And a thumbs up for the Comsat Angels too!

Maybe a little less abstract than you're looking for, but maybe Echo and the Bunnymen?

I went nuts for The Bunnymen when the local "New Wave" station here (KROQ) played their second single Rescue:

I love their first two albums a lot, Crocodiles and especially Heaven Up Here. There was a drop-off in quality for me after that, but I saw them live a bunch of times in the 80's, they were always solid live. Great rhythm section too.

I'd also add the "little less abstract" Simple Minds, I really like their run of albums from Empires and Dance > the great Sparkle in the Rain. This is a pretty rockin' cut, I like the bassline a lot:

Lots of good bands mentioned in this thread, I'll be digging through my CD's to give them a listen this week.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Interesting, because most of this stuff I considered part of New Wave, but I guess I just considered anything from that time that wasn't punk, prog, or rap (or rockabilly or whatever) to be new wave. I can see how a genre name might be needed - I just don't like the "post" prefixed ones. Somehow proto- works better than post- for me. Is any Echo and the Bunnymen post-punk?
    I'm open to however the prompt is interpreted - I'm looking for good music.

It looks like most of the big names have already been mentioned (PiL,Wire,The Fall,Magazine,Gang of Four,Joy Division,Pere Ubu,XTC) and I'd simply add you can't go wrong with any of these bands first couple of albums at least to start. My personal favorite being Pere Ubu's Dub Housing.

I'm not sure there's a defining post-punk 'sound'. For instance, Keith Levene's guitar is what I immediately think of when I hear the term post-punk, that sharp, brittle, trebley (no, I'm not going to say angular) sound that I can't get enough of. But PiL hardly sounds like Wire who hardly sound like Joy Division and so on. Like any genre, you can fall down the rabbit hole pretty quickly and it's awfully fun connecting all the dots, seeing how this drew from that to lead to something else.

Another great post-punk band for people into prog is CAMBERWELL NOW, Charles Hayward's post-THIS HEAT project. Sonic pleasures galore ~

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/com.../alls_well_f1/

Family Fodder
    Officer
    The Homosexuals
    Anything from Amos from the aforementioned band (L.Voag, the It's War Boys label, etc.)

Banned
    Serbian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Dr. Spira i ljudska bića, Buđenje, ("Awakening") (1980)

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4432

Croatian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Žak Fatalist, Film, (1982)

Croatian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Paraf, Nestašni đački izleti ("Playful Pupil Tours") (1982)

Last edited by Svetonio; 02-01-2016 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is any Echo and the Bunnymen post-punk?
    For what it's worth, Wikipedia and a couple of music sites I just checked out do list post-punk as one of the genres that are assigned to EATB. They had a psychedelic aspect to them which appealed to me. Maybe a bit poppier at times than most of the bands initially mentioned in the thread? Anyway I still think their first four albums are classics.

Talking Heads. The debut album and Fear of Music are all-time greats. Many others consider the second album (More Songs About Buildings and Food) to be just as good.

Also check out Japan and Echo & the Bunnymen.

Nice to see some Love here for METABOLIST, and THE WORK, and UNREST WORK & PLAY. I'd add, though I imagine some are not exactly of the parameter in question):

LEMON KITTENS: "We Buy A Hammer For Daddy"
    ILITCH: "10 Suicides"
    TIN HUEY: "Contents Dislodged"
    CHROME: "Half Machine Lip Moves"
    PERE UBU: "Dub Housing"
    SNAKEFINGER: "Chewing Hides The Sound"
    NAPALM DEATH: "Enemy Of The Music Business"
    KONTAKT MIKROPHOON / BLACK SHEEP (mccb artists)

Wire
    Gang Of Four
    Killing Joke
    Minutemen
    Pere Ubu
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    Bosnian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Pauk, Mumije ("Mummies") (1983)

Slovenian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Indust Bag, Diktatura srca ("Dictactorship of the Heart") (1987)

Croatian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Azra, Balkan (live 1987)

Banned
    Slovenian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band O! Kult, Ni Tolerancije ("No Tolerance") (1985) and Generacija Krivnje ("Generation of Guiltiness") (1985)

Croatian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Sat Stoicizmo, Nehaj ("Negligence") (1984)