Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SANGUINE HUM - What We Ask Is Where We Begin

SANGUINE HUM - What We Ask Is Where We Begin

Howdy Folks

Just alerting some of you to the fact that we have ANOTHER double album coming out this Friday! Following hot on the heels of Now We Have Light back in Feb'15 is "What We Ask Is Where We Begin: the Songs For Days Sessions"...2 discs, 2hrs 10 mins of music and an epic booklet explaining it all. This record finally gives us a chance to issue on CD for the first time ever the album we made before Diving Bell called Songs For Days, plus singles, session outtakes and around 40mins of completely unreleased music - some of which we finished off recording for this project. We're really pleased with it Hopefully some of you will enjoy discovering all of this early Sanguine Hum stuff as much as we enjoyed putting it all together...

Here's the trailer:

Ta muchly!

Matt.

ordered and looked forward to

My goodnes, you guys are prolific - and creatively productive! I've barely had the time to wrap my skull around that previous double of yours!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Very nice! I really enjoyed 'Now We Have Light', so this is certainly a must have.

Excellent. 'Now We Have Light' made by Top 10 in '15, so definitely looking forward to hearing this!

Hi Matt! I ordered a copy as well. Very much loved Now We Have Light, and am eagerly awaiting the follow-up. However, this will do nicely in the interim.

My pre-order is in, and I'm very much looking forward to hearing new / old Hum.

By the way the clips from the video sound absolutely magical. Nothing like a great new cd to look forward to, to help keep life worth living

I've been looking forward to this since Paul Mallyon let me know that it was on its way

Hope you all enjoy it

I'll be chatting about the album on WCR FM, The Prog Rock Files tonight from 10pm if anybody fancies tuning in:

http://www.wcrfm.com/onair/

Should be a whole bunch of Hum tracks played.

Finally my copy arrived in the mail today. I've been listening to it this evening and enjoying the heck out of it. So glad to finally have the music from Songs for Days on a physical CD. The packaging/artwork is really nice also.

Haven't even gotten to the bonus material yet. Saving that for later.

With the next paycheck, I think I'll scoop up Weight of the World and Diving Bell while I'm at it...

Sorry we missed the interview (and this post)! Those of you who've not heard Songs for Days are in for a real treat. And with these remastered and bonus tracks, this promises to be a winner. Of course, anything from these guys usually is.

Congrats on the upcoming release. I didn't realize it was ready to come out already. Must... Preorder... Now...
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

There are actually two terrific albums here! The second CD is much more than a bits and pieces affair- nice detailed sleeve notes as well. Highly recommended. Review written (in next Acid Dragon)- interview as well.

Still enjoying the heck out of this album. Favorite tracks are currently Before We Bow Down, Cast Adrift, Juniper, and Morning Sun. I still haven't really cracked the second disc, as there's so much to enjoy on the first one still. There's just some terrific stuff here.

Surprised this album has only 14 comments, because it is truly excellent throughout, just go buy it!

All we need now are some gigs!

Finally ordered it couple of days ago. Should be at my doorstep tomorrow or Saturday.

Been digging SOME of this...it's sort of a problematic thing where it's a double CD again and it's sort of outdated work of their's from my understanding?..i don't remember the titles of the ones i like but i look forward to the sequel to Now We Have Light more...is Here At The Western World also their take on doing a Steely Dan song?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Been digging SOME of this...it's sort of a problematic thing where it's a double CD again and it's sort of outdated work of their's from my understanding?..i don't remember the titles of the ones i like but i look forward to the sequel to Now We Have Light more...is Here At The Western World also their take on doing a Steely Dan song?
    Well, "outdated" is not really a fair description. The first disc is the album Songs For Days, which was a digital only release from around 2006 (if I remember correctly). It never had a physical release. The second disc is a bonus CD of unreleased material, including singles, outtakes, etc. This is not the same kind of thing as Now We Have Light, which had a unifying concept across both discs.

And yes, they included a cover of Steely Dan's "Here At The Western World".

Now We Have Light is my favorite, but this album is no slouch.

Orcopian
    By coincidence have just finished ripping the cd which I received a couple of days ago, have enjoyed reading the sleeve notes but may not get a chance to listen today. everything these guys have released to date has been top quality so I'm expecting this to be a good listen.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well, "outdated" is not really a fair description. The first disc is the album Songs For Days, which was a digital only release from around 2006 (if I remember correctly). It never had a physical release. The second disc is a bonus CD of unreleased material, including singles, outtakes, etc. This is not the same kind of thing as Now We Have Light, which had a unifying concept across both discs.

And yes, they included a cover of Steely Dan's "Here At The Western World".

Now We Have Light is my favorite, but this album is no slouch.
    i legitimately didn't even know it WAS a Dan song...it just had that vibe ha interesting...didn't know it was a rare track of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i legitimately didn't even know it WAS a Dan song...it just had that vibe ha interesting...didn't know it was a rare track of theirs.
    Still, your intuition was 100% correct. You picked up on the Steely Dan vibe.

Received my copy the other day. Finally have listened to it thru. The first disc reminds me a lot of 'Now We Have Light', which is just fine by me. The 2nd disc contains some of my favorites though, such as the gorgeous instrumental, 'Quartet'. Loved that track and some of the other instrumental stuff around the middle of the album. That Steely Dan cover was amazing too, they had to have added a bunch of great music of their own to the original, which I'm not super familiar with, but though I like Steely Dan, this version was just fantastic. The last few tracks on the 2nd disc sound like outtakes, but interesting enough. Really liked 'Cast Adrift' and 'Juniper' from the first disc on first listening.
    Last edited by bill g; 03-08-2016 at 08:55 PM.

I love the Steely Dan cover too and I particularly like Juniper

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Received my copy the other day. Finally have listened to it thru. The first disc reminds me a lot of 'Now We Have Light', which is just fine by me. The 2nd disc contains some of my favorites though, such as the gorgeous instrumental, 'Quartet'. Loved that track and some of the other instrumental stuff around the middle of the album. That Steely Dan cover was amazing too, they had to have added a bunch of great music of their own to the original, which I'm not super familiar with, but though I like Steely Dan, this version was just fantastic. The last few tracks on the 2nd disc sound like outtakes, but interesting enough. Really liked 'Cast Adrift' and 'Juniper' from the first disc on first listening.
    Yeah, a lot of the instrumentation especially brings to mind the sonic palette of Now We Have Light. My favorite tracks from the first disc are probably Before We Bow Down, Cast Adrift, and Juniper. And Quartet is absolutely lovely.

Was very surprised by how great the Steely Dan cover sounded. They nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah, a lot of the instrumentation especially brings to mind the sonic palette of Now We Have Light. My favorite tracks from the first disc are probably Before We Bow Down, Cast Adrift, and Juniper. And Quartet is absolutely lovely.

Was very surprised by how great the Steely Dan cover sounded. They nailed it.
    Listened again, and 'Juniper' is just wonderful-probably my favorite from either disc, and somehow the Steely Dan cover I find really moving too, I think maybe it was originally a great song to begin with. On 2nd listening, I may like 'Songs For Days' a little better than 'Now We Have Light', just has a great fresh atmosphere about it. Although 'Quartet' is my favorite of the instrumentals, there are quite a few good ones in there, like 'Apple Pie', and 'Bastard Stretch'. (I know what that feels like)