Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inventors of the Spaghetti Western sound

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    This is another and so beautiful
    Leo Rojas - El Condor Pasa
    Perfection suggestion, really!....

..... for the cheddar thread, though!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

In regards to the king of Spaghetti Western aka Ennio Morricone (and The God Father), we must also acknowledge and praise George Zamfir, he and his pan flute are unique and played a big part in many Spaghetti Western's moozik.

GHEORGHE ZAMFIR - The Lonely Shepherd (Live in London, 1978)
    Are you sure he was around in 1964 and influencing Morricone?

Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

This is another and so beautiful
    Leo Rojas - El Condor Pasa
    Yes Sonia this is very beautiful. I love Simon and Garfunkel's version of this, and you may be correct about the Peruvian pan flute influence on Morricone. Some of his western scores do have a Native American influence, least we forgot his outstanding score for The Mission.

Gee, what if they did The Return Of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 50 years later?

SPAGHETTI-WESTERN-theGOOD-the-BAD-and-the-UGLY-92009.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Perfection suggestion, really!....

..... for the cheddar thread, though!!
    hahahaha! Hugues thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Yes Sonia this is very beautiful. I love Simon and Garfunkel's version of this, and you may be correct about the Peruvian pan flute influence on Morricone. Some of his western scores do have a Native American influence, least we forgot his outstanding score for The Mission.
    AncientChord,
    I keep forgetting that Gheorghe Zamfir is not Peruvian, he is actually Romanian. He did not work on the actual movie The Good The Bad and The Ugly, that said he did work with Morriconne, I copied this from Wikipedia:

His music has also been heard on the soundtracks of many Hollywood movies. He was asked by Ennio Morricone to perform the pieces "Childhood Memories" and "Cockeye's Song" for the soundtrack of Sergio Leone's 1984 gangster film Once Upon a Time in America. His performance can be heard throughout the 1984 film The Karate Kid, and his piece "The Lonely Shepherd", recorded with the James Last Orchestra, was the theme from the 1979 television series 'Golden Soak', a British/German/Australian co-production. It is also featured in Quentin Tarantino's film Kill Bill: Volume 1. The melody "The Lonely Shepherd" was written by James Last and first released on his album "Memories from Russia", released 1977 (Polydor Germany 2371 856), which also featured Zamfir on the track "Nadjenka". The panflute was played by Gheorghe Zamfir, who had a contract with the Philips record company. An agreement was made that Zamfir could release "The Lonely Shepherd" as a single (45 rpm) on the Philips label.

His song Frunzuliță Lemn Adus Cāntec De Nuntă (Fluttering Green Leaves Wedding Song) appears in the Studio Ghibli film Only Yesterday.

Gee, what if they did The Return Of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 50 years later?

SPAGHETTI-WESTERN-theGOOD-the-BAD-and-the-UGLY-92009.jpg
    hahahaha!! They look like The Rolling Stones who also don't seem to age anymore because they looked like that 20 years ago.

Sonia, thanks for the info on Zamfir and his work with Leone above^^^^. But OUATIA was in 1984, 20 years after A Fistful of Dollars. So now I wonder if Morricone heard Peruvian pipe music first, or Zamfir first? It really dosen't matter, it is just trivia. But the fact remains that Morricone developed his western sound by listening to many other music forms prior to his work with Alessandroni and Leone.

hahahaha!! They look like The Rolling Stones who also don't seem to age anymore because they looked like that 20 years ago.

Yes, sorry to be morbid, but the Movie should called The Dead, The Recently Died, & The Ugly. Sorry Clint!
    Last edited by AncientChord; 01-30-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Congratulations to Ennio Morricone for winning the best score Oscar! And for receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. After writing so much unique film music for the last 60 years, he still wove his musical magic into The Hateful Eight, continuing to amaze and inspire.

I love Once Upon a Time in the West. Particularly for the score, and particularly for that opening, in which for fifteen minutes, nothing happens. The "score" is entirely ambient sounds:

creak-squawk, creak-squawk, creak-squawk, bzzzzz, tictictic, bzzzzz, (creak-squawk), drip drip drip, bzzzz-pfff, (creak-squawk), crack crack, bzzzz-pfff, drip drip slurp, (creak-squawk), bzzzzz-Thonk!, bizzzz, bizzzz,
    TOOT, chuffchuffchuffchuff, clicketyclack, clicketyclack, TOOOOOOT!, chuffchuffchuff, clicketyclack, chuff chuff, SCREECH,
    THUMP-wheeze, THUMP-wheeze, creeeeak, THUMP!, glug glug glug, THUMP-wheeze, TOOOOOOT!, chuff, chuff, chuffchuffchuffchuff -

and then, the first actual music: waaaawaaaaaah, wah wah waawaah

And the bad guys turn around, and there's Charles Bronson, holding a grip on one hand and playing the harmonica hanging on a string around his neck with the other.
    He says, "Frank?" And Morricone's main theme starts, very quiet and staccato.

"Frank sent us."

"D'you bring a horse for me?"

"Heh heh heh, Looks like we're - looks like we're shy one horse. Ha ha ha ha ha"

"No. You brought two too many." (screeching violin harmonic slowly edges its way into the music)

BANG! BANG! BANG! Thump. Thump. BOOM! Thump.............Thump.

creak-squawk, creak-squawk

I see you are in the Tucson area. My friends and I have always enjoyed camping in the deserts of California and Arizona during climate friendly times since we were teenagers. There is nothing better to us than listening to Morricone western score compilations by the camp fire at night. In our younger days we used boom boxes with cassette tape, and now use CD boom boxes. We NEVER tire of this experience.
    Sounds awesome!

you do know these Spaghetti Westerns were shot in Spain, don't you?? (I assume you do, though)
    I do because apparently the town where Leone shot his pictures, at least, still exists. They used on a Doctor Who a few years ago (which is where I learned all of this, from a documentary thing BBC-A did covering that particular episode).

But most Americans, at least, assume that the so called Spaghetti Westerns were literally shot in Italy. I can just imagine the stupid argument I'd have with my dad if said topic of discussion ever actually came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Never mind any age differences, overdubs in general sound jarring because they always sound like an actor in a studio because they are an actor in a studio. I even used to notice it when I was a little kid watching Gilligan's Island--the scenes they filmed outdoors as opposed to on a sound stage always sounded odd, and later I figured out why.
    Yeah, I know what I mean. You'd notice the same thing if a scene took place in a car or whatever. And often times it seemed like they'd move back and forth between looped dialog and the original live dialog.

I'm not sure about other countries, but apparently, that's the way they do things with EVERYTHING in Italy. I saw an interview with Jessica Harper once, where she talked making the movie Suspiria. Since they loop in all the dialog in post-production, they don't worry about keeping a quiet set while shooting the picture. They'll be filming a scene, and some set on the other side of the soundstage that isn't needed anymore is being torn down, or a set that's needed for tomorrow's filming or whatever is being built, all with an amount of noise that would be considered unacceptable in an American film production. I guess that was because they knew they were going to have dub everything anyway, so that the picture could play internationally, so maybe they just felt it would be easier to do an extra dubbing session for Italian, than to worry about getting perfect sound while shooting the film.

It's been awhile since I saw any of the Leone pictures, but I imagine he may have done the same thign too, dubbing in all the dialog after the fact, as I would imagine his pictures would have to be dubbed over for the German, French, Spanish, American, etc audiences.

Dick Dale and Duane Eddy may have influenced some of these western sounds. The guitar parts anyway. Just a guess.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Dick Dale and Duane Eddy may have influenced some of these western sounds. The guitar parts anyway. Just a guess.
    I was gonna suggest Duane Eddy, but yes he's kind of the guy who's credited with "inventing" the "twangy" guitar style, which became ubiquitous in the 60's, thanks not just to the spaghetti western phenomenon but also the spy movie craze (thanks to Vic Flick's iconic guitar riff on the James Bond theme, no doubt...would you believe Flick was paid 6 quid for that contribution to film history?!).

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I love Once Upon a Time in the West. Particularly for the score, and particularly for that opening, in which for fifteen minutes, nothing happens. The "score" is entirely ambient sounds:

creak-squawk, creak-squawk, creak-squawk, bzzzzz, tictictic, bzzzzz, (creak-squawk), drip drip drip, bzzzz-pfff, (creak-squawk), crack crack, bzzzz-pfff, drip drip slurp, (creak-squawk), bzzzzz-Thonk!, bizzzz, bizzzz,
    TOOT, chuffchuffchuffchuff, clicketyclack, clicketyclack, TOOOOOOT!, chuffchuffchuff, clicketyclack, chuff chuff, SCREECH,
    THUMP-wheeze, THUMP-wheeze, creeeeak, THUMP!, glug glug glug, THUMP-wheeze, TOOOOOOT!, chuff, chuff, chuffchuffchuffchuff -

and then, the first actual music: waaaawaaaaaah, wah wah waawaah

And the bad guys turn around, and there's Charles Bronson, holding a grip on one hand and playing the harmonica hanging on a string around his neck with the other.
    He says, "Frank?" And Morricone's main theme starts, very quiet and staccato.

"Frank sent us."

"D'you bring a horse for me?"

"Heh heh heh, Looks like we're - looks like we're shy one horse. Ha ha ha ha ha"

"No. You brought two too many." (screeching violin harmonic slowly edges its way into the music)

BANG! BANG! BANG! Thump. Thump. BOOM! Thump.............Thump.

creak-squawk, creak-squawk
    Dammit, I want to run home and watch it again RIGHT NOW!

Someone once wrote that 'spaghetti' was too bland a term for the genre. They suggested pizza westerns, where the tomato sauce is for the blood, the mozzarella is the bleached out sunlight and the base is the sandy desert, round like the arena of a bullring or a gladiatorial circus which is often how the films end up, the characters facing each other in a stand-off while the camera circles round them.

Alternatively, since they're usually shot in Spain, they should be paella westerns.