Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Beck

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    As for being too soft, I was accustomed to Foghat, GFR, Golden Earring, Deep Purple etc at the time, so to me it sounded kind of tame.
    yeah, I was more or less in the same music ... ok, maybe not as bad as GFR!!!

But yeah, A lot of my school buddies were into Beck (the males anyway); but I take it it wasn't BBB or W they were speaking of ... they meant Truth and probably BBA
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I must get a copy of that film.
    To be clear, the Ronnie Scott's film doesn't have that one-bass duet; it was something they did on tour the following year. But the DVD is absolutely essential all the same.

Re: the official bootlegs, I thought I remembered at least a couple being available digitally through 7digital.com and/or Itunes.

Seen him 4 times. Did not know he had a Bio to read. Sounds like another one on my wishlist. The Les Paul Birthday Party is also incredible and Imelda May sounds so much like Mary Ford it's down right spooky.

I've got a fair amount of live Beck and I play that far more than the studio stuff. He never was the composer that some of his contemporaries were but as a player he stands alone.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    He never was the composer that some of his contemporaries were but as a player he stands alone.
    No, but he always teamed up with musicians (mostly keyboard players) who wrote tunes that were perfect for him. Jan Hammer, Max Middleton and Tony Hymas all penned tunes that not only were right up Jeff's alley, but that stood up on their own merit. Though JB's playing was always the main attraction of his albums, a big part of the appeal for me were the tunes, particularly on "Wired" and "There and Back."

Another thing that needs to be said about Jeff Beck is that he's a major innovater of whammy bar technique. I'd never heard anybody have such perfect control of the bar that they were able to zero in on exact pitches and play melodies with it until Jeff started doing that. Now some players like Scott Henderson and Steve Lukather have jumped on that bandwagon, but we heard it first from El Becko.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got a fair amount of live Beck and I play that far more than the studio stuff. He never was the composer that some of his contemporaries were but as a player he stands alone.
    I've dld a bunch of JB shows from TTD & dime into my already-overcrowded bootlegs' folder.

here are places with shows: http://worldofjeffbeckbootlegs.blogspot.com/
    http://www.guitars101.com/forums/tags.php?tag=jeff+beck
    Last edited by davis; 01-11-2013 at 02:51 PM.

If you had to choose 1 bio, which would you choose? There's Jeff Beck: Crazy Fingers and Hot Wired Guitar: The Life of... and consumer feedback sounds like both are the one to read. Has anyone here read Truth...: Rod Stewart, Ron Wood and The Jeff Beck Group ? Maybe I just need to buy all 3.

I've never met him, but my friends tell me he's a lot more of a player than a thinker. I believe his music speaks for itself, and bios are a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by scags View Post
    I've never met him, but my friends tell me he's a lot more of a player than a thinker. I believe his music speaks for itself, and bios are a waste of time.
    I'm probably going to buy/read HWG. If I decide it's a waste of my time, I'll say so. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    He doesn't have to sing; his guitar does it for him.
    And how many guitarists can truly say this? I've been a fan of Jeff Beck since I seriously started to truly listen to music in the mid-60's. My first concert with JB was at the pavilion where we were the house band; he was with the Yardbirds at the time (with Jimmy Page playing bass, by the way), and I was completely blown away, as I expected to be. I felt honored to have actually performed on the same stage with him. I've seen him many times since in several different incarnations, and I have to say that I've never been disappointed. He is unique among guitarists for his creativity, feel, emotion, dynamics, and technique. If you get the chance to see him live, don't miss the opportunity. I agree with the Live at Ronnie Scott's recommendation; you'll see a lot of mesmerized musicians in the audience! - - - - - Jeff

I've seen some of the Ronnie Scotts show, mostly on YT. I'm going to buy it. JB is on my list of artists I keep track of so I'll know when he/they are stopping to play here or regionally. I have 2 tix for each ---> April 28=Bob Dylan here in Louisville; April 30=Dick Dale in Nashville, TN. If/when Jeff Beck comes anywhere near here, we're going. I'm obsessed with JB, Trower, and Jimi and Stevie Ray.

Just ordered Crazy Fingers for starters.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are any of his fusion albums 100% good? I've heard a couple of Beck fusion tracks on Sirius XM Deep Tracks recently that I really liked, but I'm not sure what they were.

Blow by Blow, to me, is a perfect record!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are any of his fusion albums 100% good? I've heard a couple of Beck fusion tracks on Sirius XM Deep Tracks recently that I really liked, but I'm not sure what they were.

I have Guitar Shop, You Had it Coming & Who Else! love them all and will be getting others.

As for being too soft, I was accustomed to Foghat, GFR, Golden Earring, Deep Purple etc at the time, so to me it sounded kind of tame. That said, you'll be in the principal's office for threatening me I don't think there's any comparing those 2 cats' guitar playing skills.
    Frampton was an excellent player in his early days with Humble Pie etc, easily comparable to what Beck was doing at the time.The less said about what he did later the better, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Blow by Blow, to me, is a perfect record!
    Totally agree

Saw him on the there and back tour in 81 (?) - Simon Phillips on drums - sensational

Quote Originally Posted by jeffworman View Post
    My first concert with JB was at the pavilion where we were the house band; he was with the Yardbirds at the time (with Jimmy Page playing bass, by the way)
    I saw them about a week after Beck quit ...<sigh>...
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Frampton was an excellent player in his early days with Humble Pie etc, easily comparable to what Beck was doing at the time.The less said about what he did later the better, mind you.
    You should check out Frampton's Fingerprints from 06, maybe his greatest album, instrumental album.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Just ordered Crazy Fingers for starters.
    To quote Google,did you mean to say,Crazy Legs? If so(I only ask because I have everything he's ever done and I don't recognize Crazy Fingers.) keep in mind that this album is a total tribute to Gene Vincent and The Blue Caps aka as the guy who was and still is mistaken for Elvis on Be-Bop-A-Lula. That song wasn't recorded by Jeff Beck because he wanted to steer clear of the hits. It's pretty good stuff and Jeff is so obsessed by Cliff Gallup's guitar playing,he plays every note identical to Cliff with an almost identical tone. If you thought you were getting FUSION Beck,you ain't. Get Blow By Blow,Wired and Live w/Jan Hammer Group,and you'll also need There and Back,the last FUSION album he does.

I'm a rookie to Mr Beck I just bought my first album by him the live at Ronnie Scott's one, enjoying it a lot.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think "Wired" (1976) is his most fusiony record and it's quite good!

Wired, IMO, is his pinnacle, meaning studio records. Live At Ronnie Scott's for me is his best ever live recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    To quote Google,did you mean to say,Crazy Legs? If so(I only ask because I have everything he's ever done and I don't recognize Crazy Fingers.) keep in mind that this album is a total tribute to Gene Vincent and The Blue Caps aka as the guy who was and still is mistaken for Elvis on Be-Bop-A-Lula. That song wasn't recorded by Jeff Beck because he wanted to steer clear of the hits. It's pretty good stuff and Jeff is so obsessed by Cliff Gallup's guitar playing,he plays every note identical to Cliff with an almost identical tone. If you thought you were getting FUSION Beck,you ain't. Get Blow By Blow,Wired and Live w/Jan Hammer Group,and you'll also need There and Back,the last FUSION album he does.
    Crazy Fingers, the book. I have Crazy Legs and just about everything else he ever recorded.

I second rapidfirerob on that Frampton instrumental album..it's really good.

Jeff Beck is.....(Wait for it...).......Sui Generis.

(Private joke for Rapidfirerob).

Seriously, though, everyone who likes instrumental guitar fusion should own Blow by Blow, Wired, and There and Back. You need those albums.