Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the SW remixes good?

Are the SW remixes good?

So I just got the Yes album from Rhino and Fragile/Close to the Edge from Atlantic and was wondering if I made a mistake not buying the SW remixes.

Its a question of taste I think.
    Of course they are good, but do you like them ?

I got GG The Power and the Glory SW-remix, but prefer my LP version. I feel the SW-mix is a bit too clinical somehow, but admit that I discovered new details especially with the drums.

I haven't heard the Yes ones, I found them a tad pricey. But I do have all of the Tull remixes he did and they are outstanding IMO. I also have the Caravan and ELP remixes and those are great too. If you're happy enough with the editions you bought, no need to worry about it IMO. He's done Relayer too, if you want to give that one a shot.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I haven't heard the Yes ones, I found them a tad pricey. But I do have all of the Tull remixes he did and they are outstanding IMO. I also have the Caravan and ELP remixes and those are great too. If you're happy enough with the editions you bought, no need to worry about it IMO. He's done Relayer too, if you want to give that one a shot.
    I was planning on getting Relayer next so I'll get the SW remix one, maybe look in the Crimson remixes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adachi View Post
    I was planning on getting Relayer next so I'll get the SW remix one, maybe look in the Crimson remixes too.
    D'oh! I have those too of course, and they are great.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I feel the SW-mix is a bit too clinical somehow,
    What do you mean by too clinical???

I feel the instruments are kind of separated so much from each other, that the bandfeel suffers a bit.
    On the other hand you can really hear what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    D'oh! I have those too of course, and they are great.
    Currently I have In the Court remastered by Simon Heyworth, doesn't sound too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I feel the instruments are kind of separated so much from each other, that the bandfeel suffers a bit.
    On the other hand you can really hear what they are doing.
    Aaaahhh ok, thank you

I have Relayer, Close to the Edge, Oranges and Lemons, and Nonsuch.
    Like them very much.
    No too interested in the GG or others so far.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

In the case of Yes, the Blu-Ray versions are really good, especially if you have a 5.1 system. Even without 5.1, the uncompressed stereo versions are worth it, IMO. They also added alternative mixes and the original mix, which is a nice touch. I have all of SW's Yes and KC remixes and like them all. Even if I may prefer another mix, the clarity and separation of the instruments gives me a different picture of how the pieces were put together.

Some are very, very good and improve upon the sonics of the original (WarChild, Larks Tongues), some are just awful and ruin everything great about the album (Lizard)

My problem with Fragile and Close To The Edge Stereo Mixes by Steven Wilson are the lack of punch/bottom end/harmonics. The Wilson mixes don't have Mastering, they are almost flat sound. A good analog mastering can bring the mixes some of warm that lacks, whitout rape the dynamic range. I think that the Wilson remixes servers too much in records with bad mixes and recording problems, like the Aqualung, but Stereo Remixes of state of art sound albums like Fragile, Close To The Edge, Thick As a Brick and Tarkus don't need it, i keep with the originals. For sure, the most insteresting thing on this is bring the the 5.1 mixes, is the main thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Some are very, very good and improve upon the sonics of the original (WarChild, Larks Tongues), some are just awful and ruin everything great about the album (Lizard)
    Oddly enough, I really enjoyed that Lizard remix.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    The Wilson mixes don't have Mastering, they are almost flat sound. A good analog mastering can bring the mixes some of warm that lacks, whitout rape the dynamic range.
    Not quite sure what you mean here, so let me just ask: do the Steven Wilson remixes compress everything? Are the drums more present and the instruments more separated because everything is brickwalled?

I love his Yes work,and that of KC, Gentle Giant and XTC,however these are not remixes, but are remasters.Remixes are altering original volumes and panning rather than remastering, which basically cleaning up the audio,and altering eq etc.
    However i must state i think his recent Steve Hackett remasters sound bloody awful.

I would seldom recommend a remix of anything over the original. (Of course, if you buy Genesis' catalogue new, you don't have that luxury of choice.)

With Wilson, I didn't like it that within the remix of ITCOTCK, there was a shortened 'Moonchild'. I even had reservations about that track...until that, as it felt really wrong to me. I know the full one was an extra track but it still altered the flow of the album within his version, which I think is wrong. Now, whether he personally was responsible for that decision, I can't say. But this is the kind of thing one needs to be aware of with remixes.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Lizard is my favourite Steven Wilson remix.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

SW's Close To The Edge is an interesting alternative, but, as excited as I was about that remix, it is missing an indefinable certain something.... call that something "analogue warmth," "tape saturation, " "tight deadline's effect on pot-addled creative processes" -- I don't profess to know -- but something less exciting is happening on the SW version. It's like SW built a museum to a great album, but don't toss out the original. And im not sure a CTTE remix could've been done any better, really, but there's a ghost missing from the room when I play the remixed version.

Quote Originally Posted by emerlist View Post
    I love his Yes work,and that of KC, Gentle Giant and XTC,however these are not remixes, but are remasters.Remixes are altering original volumes and panning rather than remastering, which basically cleaning up the audio,and altering eq etc.
    However i must state i think his recent Steve Hackett remasters sound bloody awful.
    All of the Wilson treatments you mentioned above are re-mixes, not re-masters.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I would seldom recommend a remix of anything over the original. (Of course, if you buy Genesis' catalogue new, you don't have that luxury of choice.)

With Wilson, I didn't like it that within the remix of ITCOTCK, there was a shortened 'Moonchild'. I even had reservations about that track...until that, as it felt really wrong to me. I know the full one was an extra track but it still altered the flow of the album within his version, which I think is wrong. Now, whether he personally was responsible for that decision, I can't say. But this is the kind of thing one needs to be aware of with remixes.
    I agree that doing things like cutting out material is way beyond what should be done.

IN A STUDIO IN THE YEAR 2035: "This Russia on Ice goes on way too long." - SNIP! -

I believe in a conservative approach to remixes...my own taste is for changed stereo placement, rather than actually changing the music itself by bringing in different parts, new instruments etc.

But even then, I would always prefer an original because that's what was released first and thus had the historical impact. Anything else is revisionism at the end of the day...and that's fine in its place. But there should always be a choice. Unfortunately Genesis took the dreadful decision of writing their original mixes out of history for new buyers/listeners. At least with what Wilson is doing, the choice is still there...the ordinary ones are still available.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I believe in a conservative approach to remixes...my own taste is for changed stereo placement, rather than actually changing the music itself by bringing in different parts, new instruments etc.

But even then, I would always prefer an original because that's what was released first and thus had the historical impact. Anything else is revisionism at the end of the day...and that's fine in its place. But there should always be a choice. Unfortunately Genesis took the dreadful decision of writing their original mixes out of history for new buyers/listeners. At least with what Wilson is doing, the choice is still there...the ordinary ones are still available.
    Agreed, since the SW remixes include the needle drops, etc. they don't worry me.

Has SW done a remix of Tales yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean here, so let me just ask: do the Steven Wilson remixes compress everything? Are the drums more present and the instruments more separated because everything is brickwalled?
    I've only got a couple of the Tull releases but my impression was they were not brickwalled. My favorite is Aqualung because it had always sounded like ass and Wilson gave it some clarity and wallop. The opening to "Locomotive Breath" now has some balls to it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart