Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Irish are coming

The Irish are coming

This year myself, one of me brothers and a couple of others might be coming over for St. Patricks Day in NYC, and we've also talked about taking a wee road trip down to VA and then west a bit. My question is this, what are car rental prices like in the US? And is it better/cheaper to book in advance than picking up a motor at the airport?
    Last edited by PeterG; 01-22-2016 at 04:26 PM.

First of all, thanks for the warning, I'll stay off the roads that week.

Just kidding. I think compared to Europe, you'll find rental prices much cheaper in the US, and gas is cheaper too. Look around on the internet for deals. I've gotten some fantastic deals for a week-long rental, just look around and see what pops up. I typically book in advance so I have a chance to look around for the best deal.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Because of my business travels, I have rented cars almost every week for about the past 15 years.

Car rental rates can vary a lot, though the big rental companies tend to be very closely priced.

You'll be MUCH better off if you:

- Pre-book, and do not just pick something up at the airport

- Use one of the big US companies (Avis, Budget, hertz, and National/Alamo). National is my favorite by a big margin.

- Before you make your reservation, create an account with whichever company you choose, and join their rewards program. (Easy online process.) That way, you'll be sure to get the best pricing when you make your reservation.

- Arrange to pick up your rental from the airport you're flying into/from, and to pick it up immediately when you arrive. (Little known secret - they load the price if you don't do this.)

- Don't do a point-to-point rental. Make sure your travels allow you to drop the car off at the same location you picked it up from.

- Some people here might tell you about the 2nd-tier renters, who can be a bit cheaper. E.g. Rent-a-wreck, Dollar, Thrifty, Payless, and a few others. I would avoid them. Some are okay, but most are cheap in more ways than one - and none of them offer the same range of services, quality of cars, nationwide coverage (necessary if you break down somewhere remote), speed of pickup service, etc.

- Enterprise is often mentioned in these discussions. They're a great rental company for Americans needing a car for a short while - but forget about them : Their pricing heavily penalizes people living out-of-state, and they might not even consider renting to people from out-of-country.

- Check if your own insurance company covers you damaging a rental car. If they do, you should be able to avoid the expensive insurances.

- Be aware that you will need to pay with a major credit card (Visa, Master card, or AmEx) - and forget about using a debit card.

- Keep a printed copy of your flight itinerary with you when you pick the car up. Some companies insist on it (varies by airport and by rental company, depending on local conditions) - and you'll be in an awkward position if you don't have it.

- Most companies charge a daily premium to allow more than one person to drive the car. Up yo you - but I never pay that.

Feel free to run Qs by me...
    Regards,

Duncan

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    All I can add to what Duncan said is try to ignore them when they ask if you want to upgrade to a better car - chances are you're already decided what most meets your needs.

I like Enterprise a lot, but I guess Duncan's advice on them must be good!

Duncan already covered just about everything I was going to say. I also like National because they let you pick your car out of anything they have in the size you rent. I also always book ahead and is easy to do on line. As he says car rental rates can vary significantly depending on the city, the time of year, all kinds of things. As JKL says, don’t let them talk you into insurance that you don’t need. Check your home car insurance policy and see what is covered with rental cars.

As for travelling West……just remember it is a big country. The state I live in is larger than many European countries. A lot of times when people come over they underestimate distances between places here. Anyway, I hope you dig it.

....and remember to drive on the right side of the road.

Duncan... Quick question on your last point above. How do you avoid the extra charge for an additional driver?
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    Duncan... Quick question on your last point above. How do you avoid the extra charge for an additional driver?
    If you go online and look to rent a car it should be right there in the fine print. Some companies charge for an extra driver and some dont. It can vary from city to city. When my wife and I are renting a car it is something we always check before hitting the "accept" button. We typically only rent from companies that do not charge for an extra driver when available.

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    In my case ... I simply don't tell them. Let them think that I'm the only driver. The only time it becomes an issue is if there's an accident. And even then - it would be between me and my insurance company.

Not something I'm "recommending"
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    In my case ... I simply don't tell them. Let them think that I'm the only driver. The only time it becomes an issue is if there's an accident. And even then - it would be between me and my insurance company.

Not something I'm "recommending"
    Thanks. I was faced with that decision when I joined my wife a couple of days later for a vacation. When we rent a car I always drive, so it never came up. Since my wife arrived first she rented the car and then when I got there, I wanted to be added as a driver. Blah. They hit me with the fee and I felt I should pay in case of an accident.

I was not happy.

(SteveSly - thanks for your advice as well. I'll know to do that if this ever comes up again)
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

we've also talked about taking a wee road trip down to VA and then west a bit
    Just remember, most Europeans are a bit surprised at how far apart everything is in the US, how big of a country it is. Even NY to Virginia is going to take a good seven hours. The further west you go the worse it gets. When I lived in Minnesota I had a coworker who entertained friends from Spain. They came over with a list of all the things they wanted to see in the US. They wanted to go to Vegas, Yellowstone Park, Hollywood, etc. He tried to explain to them how unfeasible it was and gave up. Once he got them from Minneapolis to Yellowstone Park, they threw the list away and gave up.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks very much Duncan and you other guys, this is exactly the type of info I needed.
    And sure we'll drive on the fecking left of the road just for the craic!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    This year myself, one of me brothers and a couple of others might be coming over for St. Patricks Day in NYC, and we've also talked about taking a wee road trip down to VA and then west a bit. My question is this, what are car rental prices like in the US? And is it better/cheaper to book in advance than picking up a motor at the airport?

Not my business, but I opened this thread out of curiosity (title not explicit enough), but St Pat's day in NYC???
    I'm sure there are some rejoyceing there too (there are also in Brussels as well), but the biggest ones outside Eire is Boston
    Generally, when St-Pat's celebrations was on the news, every report was about St Pat's in Boston
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not my business, but I opened this thread out of curiosity (title not explicit enough), but St Pat's day in NYC???
    I'm sure there are some rejoyceing there too (there are also in Brussels as well), but the biggest ones outside Eire is Boston
    Generally, when St-Pat's celebrations was on the news, every report was about St Pat's in Boston
    Actually no, the biggest one is NYC, followed by Chicago, Boston is third.
    I have several relatives (brothers, cousins) and Irish friends who have been over there for St. Patricks Day, and they've all reported back with the same thing, bascially that the Irish tourists and Irish people resident/working in the US in the North East steer clear of Boston and go to the NYC parade.
    Three years ago, one of my brothers and 4 of his mates flew over to NY and went up to Boston for the parade. They said, "never again, it was like a time warp, these so called Irish up here still think it's 1916 and these arseholes are still collecting money for terrorists in the pubs, and it was clear in South Boston that outsiders, including real Irish like us were not welcome"

So 2014 and last year they went to NYC and stayed there for the parade, and he told me it was much bigger than the Boston parade, much more inclusive and that they meet lots of other Irish tourists and Irish migrant workers there.
    Last edited by PeterG; 01-27-2016 at 08:09 AM.

I have several relatives (brothers, cousins) and Irish friends who have been over there for St. Patricks Day, and they've all reported back with the same thing, bascially that the Irish tourists and Irish people resident/working in the US in the North East steer clear of Boston and go to the NYC parade.
    Three years ago, one of my brothers and 4 of his mates flew over to NY and went up to Boston for the parade. They said, "never again, it was like a time warp, these so called Irish up here still think it's 1916 and these arseholes are still collecting money for terrorists in the pubs, and it was clear in South Boston that outsiders, including real Irish like us were not welcome"

So 2014 and last year they went to NYC and stayed there for the parade, and he told me it was much bigger than the Boston parade, much more inclusive and that they meet lots of other Irish tourists and Irish migrant workers there.
    Hmmm. That's sad to hear. I've been a Boston resident for the past 25 years. Even though I have Irish heritage, I've never attended the parade here, mostly because I just tend to avoid thing like that generally. Oktoberfest, Mardi Gras, even sport championship parades of which we've had many in the past 15 years, all out. I just don't enjoy anything like that.

But I'm sorry to hear that is the perception of Boston's parade. It doesn't totally shock me, though. I hope you guys have a great time in NYC!

Bill

PeterG - Hope you have a grand time and if your "out west" gets as far as Cali, let me know, I'd love to meetcha.

Bill - Actually, in my experience the Irish are excellent drivers, as a whole. (They have to be, given the narrow things they call "roads.")
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Bill - Actually, in my experience the Irish are excellent drivers, as a whole. (They have to be, given the narrow things they call "roads.")
    I was joking, I think I made that clear?

I live about 2 hours from Chicago and their St Pats celebrations there are pretty legendary. They dye the Chicago River Green which is a definitely unique. The midwest is generally a bit more laid back than the east coast as well (just my opinion of course).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I live about 2 hours from Chicago and their St Pats celebrations there are pretty legendary. They dye the Chicago River Green which is a definitely unique. The midwest is generally a bit more laid back than the east coast as well (just my opinion of course).

Steve, I've also heard they indulge in the sacrilege of dying the Guinness green!!!!

Steve, I've also heard they indulge in the sacrilege of dying the Guinness green!!!!
    It is kind of a tradition here in the U.S. to serve green beer on St. Patty's day, although I can't say that I have ever seen it done with Guinness, but have seen it done with Harp. Usually it is something crappy like Bud / Miller lite with green dye in it. Let's just say I don't recomend it......

I've seen it done to the mass market crap but never Guinness. But be warned, Guinness here does not taste like Guinness brewed in its native land.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let them fool ya.

The Chicago River is always that colour.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've seen it done to the mass market crap but never Guinness. But be warned, Guinness here does not taste like Guinness brewed in its native land.
    Actually you can get a really good pour of Guinness in the US, and none of the Guinness I had in Ireland was that much better than what I can get on draft here in a decent place. I even had some fantastic Guinness in Pensacola FL, at an Irish restaurant there. If you go somewhere they take it seriously, you can get a good Guinness.

I've never seem my favorite Irish beer in the US, though... Galway Hooker! (Named after a boat, now what you were thinking it was... and don't deny it!)

Bill

Exactly Sputnik. Guinness Draught (keg, widget-can, bottle) and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the US both come from Ireland,so they taste exactly the same as the Guinness in Ireland. Guinness Original the slightly bubbly stuff in bottles, however, is brewed in Canada, either by Labatt or Moosehead.

The only Guinness that tastes noticeably different is the very strong (8%) pasteurised Special Export Stout, which is shipped to West and Southern Africa and further East to other very warm climates, I've drunk it in South Africa, and it's awful stuff. There is no pasteurised Guinness in North America.
    Last edited by PeterG; 01-30-2016 at 04:55 PM.