Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Santana IV details released!

Santana IV details released!

April 15, 2016 marks the release date of Santana IV, the wildly anticipated studio album that reunites the revered early '70s lineup of guitar icon Carlos Santana (guitar, vocals), Gregg Rolie (keyboards, lead vocals), Neal Schon (guitar, vocals), Michael Carabello (percussion) and Michael Shrieve (drums). The album signifies the first time in 45 years – since 1971's multi-platinum classic Santana III – that the quintet has recorded together.

Santana IV features 16 all-new tracks written and produced by the band that burst with the same unparalleled energy and superlative musicianship that made Santana a pioneering force in world music and a household name across the globe. Joining the core Santana IV band in the studio are current Santana members Karl Perazzo (percussion) and Benny Rietveld (bass), with the legendary vocalistRonald Isley guesting on two cuts.

The origins for the reunion go back several years, when Schon suggested that he and Carlos Santana record together. Santana liked the idea but went one better, proposing that they recruit Rolie, Shrieve and Carabello for what would be called Santana IV. After initial writing sessions and rehearsals took place in 2013, the group recorded throughout 2014 and 2015, amassing 16 spellbinding tracks that combined all their signature elements – Afro-Latin rhythms, soaring vocals, electrifying blues-psychedelic guitar solos, and irrepressibly jubilant percussion work – with widescreen hooks and melodies that will lodge themselves in the thicket of listeners' senses and stay there.

"It was magical," Santana says. "We didn't have to try to force the vibe – it was immense. From there, we then needed to come up with a balance of songs and jams that people would immediately identify as Santana."

The band's signature sound arrives forcefully on the album opener "Yambu," a righteously gritty and soulful stomper teeming with swirling B3 organ hooks and walloping guitar crunch.

The first single, "Anywhere You Want to Go," is destined to storm the pantheon of Santana classics. Written by Gregg Rolie, it's a sexy, body-shaking winner and an unmistakable tip of the hat to the inescapable cha-cha/Latin jazz charms of "Oye Como Va."

Ronald Isley (The Isley Brothers) is a special guest on two tracks. His vocals highlight the feverishly impassioned Latin-rock workout "Love Makes the World Go Round" and the hard-edged and funky "Freedom in Your Mind." Guitar fans expecting fireworks from Santana and Schon will cherish Santana IV from front to back. "All Aboard" is a no-holds-barred guitar jam of the highest order, as is the slinky, soulful metal cruncher "Caminando," which explodes with tectonic axe force. And on the unabashedly British blues-tinged "Shake It," the two go toe to toe on not one but two extended solo runs that will have lovers of unhinged fretboard work rejoicing.

"Carlos and I feel more connected than ever," says Schon. "We get super-aggressive when we play, but also melodic and poetic. We have an incredible dialog with each other on our guitars."

Santana's recurring themes of love and tolerance are common threads throughout Santana IV, most dramatically on the epic tone poem album closer "Forgiveness," a languid and breathtakingly gorgeous atmospheric groover.

Music fans familiar with the "roaring lion" artwork on Santana's 1969 debut album will instantly greet Heather Griffin-Vine's graphic forSantana IV as a gloriously realized update of that iconic image. "I really think the music goes along with the cover, and vice versa," says Santana. "It all fits together beautifully."

Few bands can pick up a musical dialog after 45 years apart, but on Santana IV each band member reaches a new level of virtuosity and communal intuition on a collection of songs that easily stands side-by-side with the group's treasured early work.

"When you can go back and break new ground with joy and determination – and some whoop-ass energy – it gets you going," says Santana. "I think we achieved something very rare. This music was screaming to come out of us. It wasn't about nostalgia. It was about passion."

Santana IV will be released on April 15, 2016, on Santana IV Records and is distributed by Thirty Tigers/RED Distribution. It will be available for pre-order on Amazon. For the CD click here, and for the LP click here. The album will be CD, Double 180 Gram Vinyl with Download Card and Digital configurations.

As a special offer for fans attending select shows on Santana's upcoming Luminosity tour, a CD copy of SANTANA IV is included with every pair of tickets. This offer will be redeemed via a promo code at MusicRedemptions.com.

AUTO-BUY of the highest order !!!!!!....so says Captain Obvious !

Clipboard01.jpg

New pic^^

Yowza, two of my favorite guitarists and drummer...autobuy

auto-buy auto-buy auto-buy auto-buy auto-buy.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

The band's signature sound arrives forcefully on the album opener "Yambu," a righteously gritty and soulful stomper teeming with swirling B3 organ hooks and walloping guitar crunch.

Righteous!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Clipboard01.jpg

New pic^^
    Maybe it's just me, but at least 4 of those heads look like they were photoshopped in.

Also, what makes me skeptical/squeamish about this release is:
    • Carlos Santana's career over the last 30 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but at least 4 of those heads look like they were photoshopped in.

Also, what makes me skeptical/squeamish about this release is:
    • Carlos Santana's career over the last 30 years or so.
    I was thinking the exact same thing!!!
    The Prog Corner

I wanna say I'm all over it but will approach with caution. I'll probably still get when it's in the stores but I'll be curious to read some reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    looks more the exposure was adjusted here and there with the dodge and burn brushes, maybe the sponge too.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

No pre-orders on European Amazon sites yet. I'll keep an eye on that.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bounce, bounce, happy... bounce!!!! I have been looking forward to this album and hoping that it was the original line-up since I first heard about this album being made! I am so happy right now

High hopes, but still have reservations and will at least sample before I buy

Shape Shifter was a pretty solid album, so this could be near Santana III quality

I'm in!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Absolute Autobuy!
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Although I've been burned a couple times over the last 20 years or so, I still buy everything Santana does. I meet the announcement of this release with more anticipation and excitement than any of his releases in a loooooooong time. Like another poster said, Shapeshifter was pretty solid. I'm all in, autobuy.

I'm in too... Sure Santana has made some not-so-great records to put it mildly, but then I'd be far more worried about Rolie and Schon if we are considering past output!

I'm not worried because I think the only reason this particular group decided to get back together is because they see value in their "old sound" and want to do something along those lines. If Santana wanted to make a slick 21st century radio album, he wouldn't be doing it with this band.

Surprised Chepito's not part of the reunion. I think he might be ill. Glad he stuck with Karl Perazzo. Good kid. I knew the kid before he hit the big time. Good on him. Would love to see the band so I can yell at him from the audience.

Has to have some great instrumentals or it wouldn't be a true early Santana album. His instrumentals were some of the best Santana music early on. Great to hear this though. I'm looking forward to this.

^Agree. Santana has some great instrumentals . Jungle Strut kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ^Agree. Santana has some great instrumentals . Jungle Strut kills.
    Besides the guitar skills, it's that great Latin bouncy rhythm with a lot of great percussion and turning it into rock.

^ I love the guitar harmonies of Jungle Strut. I love the guitar harmonies of No One To Depend On : horns

Damn it.