Thread: FEATURED CD - Niacin : Organik

FEATURED CD - Niacin : Organik

Per Allmusic:
    The fusion trio Niacin, comprised of keyboardist John Novello, bassist Billy Sheehan, and drummer Dennis Chambers, perform originals (mostly from Novello and Sheehan) plus Frank Zappa's "King Kong." Their playing frequently falls between improvised rock and soul-jazz, with Novello's organ and keyboards leading the dense and crowded ensembles through some avant funk grooves. While it is doubtful that any of the individual originals will catch on, fans of the rock side of fusion will find Niacin's music to be stimulating and fairly original within the genre.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/organik-mw0000349673

Regards,

Duncan

My favorite Niacin album !
    Sometimes to much to listen in one go.

great album. heavy. haven't played it in quite awhile though.

Great album.....LOVED them at NF.....Dennis Chambers is one sick MOFO on the drums

Good one, but also have not played it in a long time.

This is an amazing keyboard album, and for me it is the absolute best of Niacin's output.

crankin' it right now. love this stuff! Blisterene is indeed blistering. what a great band! John's got a new album Ivory Soul coming out in February for those who don't know. Crush has been released as a single from it.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Great album and band. Still waiting for the promised tour.

I reviewed it back when it was released. Seriously kicks ass....I'd not heard the band before this but have since picked up most of its releases.

Banned
    Great stuff indeed, especially Blisterene, and especially that part that starts at 1:35 because it reminds me of Vulcan Worlds from Where I Know You From Before by Return To Forever - one of my favourite albums ever.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-22-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Are these guys still around?

A good follow-up to "Time Crunch", which is the album where they really began to turbo-charge their sound and arrangements.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Ditto to all of the above! Fantastic fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants prog-fusion.

I don't have any Niacin in my collection, criminal I know, but there NF performance was sublime and intense at the same time and after I wanted to marry Dennis Chambers.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I don't have any Niacin in my collection, criminal I know, but there NF performance was sublime and intense at the same time and after I wanted to marry Dennis Chambers.
    I thought the show smoked. I need to pick up this album. I just bought a Niacin DVD from Ken and look forward to watching it.

Awesome stuff. Highly recommended to fans of early ELP, though as mentioned these guys were more of a fusion group rather than a prog band.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Their most progressive release, probably. But my favorite remains Time Crunch...

one of the many bands nowadays blurring the lines between the 2 biggest styles of Prog... Symph and Fusion

back in the day most Fusion bands were just rockin, jammin Jazz. Only a handful composed intricate, acrobatic Symphonic compositions like RTF, Mahavishnu, 11th House, Cobham, Sancious, Stanley Clarke. But nowadays it seems like most instrumental Prog is some combination of Fusion and Symph. It's a great time for Prog music right now!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Haven't gotten around to getting this. I became an instant fan after getting Time Crunch, which is just jaw dropping. I also have their first two albums (downloads, legally purchased) but those albums, for whatever reason don't do much for me. Time Crunch just gobsmacked me all up and down the place.

Awesome album. Was this the last one?

Like the live album and DVD the best I think.

Sucker for the B-3

There's one more album (so far) after this called Krush.

All their albums are great, but the last three — Time Crunch, Organik, Krush — really crank!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    There's one more album (so far) after this called Krush.

All their albums are great, but the last three — Time Crunch, Organik, Krush — really crank!
    Looks like I need to track down a copy of Krush to complete the discography then.

Can't imagine I'd be disappointed by it.