Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROSFEST 2016 BANDS- WHERE DO I BEGIN?

ROSFEST 2016 BANDS- WHERE DO I BEGIN?

Now that all of the Rosfest 2016 bands have been announced, can people here recommend where to start with each band? Assume that I know nothing about all of them. Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The only band I'm well up on is Bent Knee, their sophomore release, Shiny Eyed Babies, is a considerable step up from their debut.

https://bentknee.bandcamp.com/album/shiny-eyed-babies

These are both from that album

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I suggest you go in completely cold.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My plan is to buy about 5 CDs from the bands that interest me the most. The rest will be me going in cold.

Library Jon

oh my...this last announcement is a mixed bag (at least that's my initial reaction).

thrilled that the fringe was added.
    less than thrilled that zebra is the band closing out the fest.
    as someone who grew up on long island where they played all the time, i never considered them anything more than an average bar band. i must confess i never sought out much of their music and might be way off-track here. anyone want to throw some opinions out?

as for where to start with other bands:

strawbs - "hero and heroine" as this is supposed to be featured during this tour.
    riverside - i think their latest is fantastic
    kerzner - pretty sure "new world" is his only release, so that's an easy one (and for me, was the best release of 2015)
    bent knee - what ian said
    perfect beings - only two disks, so start wherever you want. i prefer the first
    magic pie - king for a day (their latest) - or anything else. pretty much all good

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I suggest you go in completely cold.
    That's what I'll be doing(with the exception of the few things I already know).

Everyone here could do worse than to give Zebra's first album a careful listen - some stunning melodies on that record.

If you're looking for one song in particular, "The La La Song" may be the one that would appeal to most here.

Bent Knee's Shiny Eyed Babies

Comedy of Errors is a great band with 3 excellent albums under their belt. Fanfare & Fantasy is their best, but Spirit from 2015 is not far behind.

All I got to say is that the merch guy, Glenn Fitzgerald, is probably thrilled about Zebra. I know he's a huge fan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    All I got to say is that the merch guy, Glenn Fitzgerald, is probably thrilled about Zebra. I know he's a huge fan.
    Yup, he's also a HUGE fan! ( if you lurk here, red of hair).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

This will be my first RoSFest. For most of it, I'll be going in cold, though I know the Strawbs very well, Kinetic Element well, and Riverside somewhat. For the Strawbs, I recommend the Live at Nearfest CD as being about the closest you might see and hear for them. You really can't go wrong with any of their stuff if you like folk-based symphonic prog, though I think their middle period, Nomadness to Heartbreak Hill, might be considered spotty. As they'll be playing as the electric version of the band, you might not want to delve into their acoustic CDs and DVDs just yet.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Any one that is from Long Island will definitely chuckle at the addition of Zebra. They are probably one of the easiest bands to see here for the last 40 years, so you don't really need to go to Gettysburg to do so. Not to mention I think Prog is a bit of a stretch for them. However, some great other bands, so I will happily be there.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    Any one that is from Long Island will definitely chuckle at the addition of Zebra....
    Don
    More like shake head in disbelief and disappointment. Really? The closing band for the whole weekend? Maybe an earlier spot, but considering how long it took to announce this, I felt sort of let down.

I'm sure there are others who are thrilled, and I meant no disrespect...different tastes and all.

Ken

PS - the Fringe made up for it a bit

It would be great if everyone here could post you tube video clips of bands playing Rosfest 2016 that would give me a taste of what they sound like.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    It would be great if everyone here could post you tube video clips of bands playing Rosfest 2016 that would give me a taste of what they sound like.

Library Jon
    I did that!!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yes, you did and THANK YOU! I watched the two clips that you posted and liked them a lot. I plan to buy a copy of the Bent Knee's CD in the coming weeks. However, what about the other bands?

Library Jon

Why don't you do some searching on your own? Jeez Louise.

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Yes, you did and THANK YOU! I watched the two clips that you posted and liked them a lot. I plan to buy a copy of the Bent Knee's CD in the coming weeks. However, what about the other bands?

Library Jon
    Why not go to the ROSfest website?

http://home.rosfest.com/

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...Why-No-Threads

Regarding 3RDegree (Friday night at Aspire 11:30), take one song from the last 4 albums for FREE here.

Was this thread really such a bad discussion to start? Sometimes I like to get people's advice on new bands.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Comedy of Errors is a great band with 3 excellent albums under their belt. Fanfare & Fantasy is their best, but Spirit from 2015 is not far behind.
    I like their debut Disobey the best, but all three are great. Really love their sound.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Why don't you do some searching on your own? Jeez Louise.
    Something wrong with him asking advice about prog music on a prog music forum? Seems the logical idea to me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

These types of threads pop every year before festivals are are usually pretty fun.
    Ian

I have decided to take "baby steps" with Rosfest 2016 bands this year. I just bought a copy of the newer Bent Knee CD (thanks Ian!) and a cheapy best of Zebra CD called "Extended Versions" for about $3 plus shipping.

Library Jon