Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Games - where we can talk about video games

How did I miss this thread from 2016?

I haven't played video games since around 2008, when the last one I bought and enjoyed was Half Life.

But I had a great time from the 90's until then.

I found that the more "realistic" games got, the less I liked them. Something about the old-school pixel charm.

Shooters and racing games were my faves. I loved the first two Wolfensteins but Doom was a bit too "evil" for me. There was a lesser-known series based on the Wolfenstein engine that I also loved, Blake Stone - Aliens of Gold and Planet Strike. Had some "advanced" ideas that Wolfenstein didn't have at the time, like one-way doors, ability to go back down to lower floors to get health or weapons, scientists walking around that would help you or try to kill you, and other stuff I can't remember.

With racing, I had Mario Andretti Racing and F1 for the PC. With F1 you could edit the racer names and I replaced them with all blues musicians. On the screen it would display the name of the driver in the car ahead of you, and behind you. It was always a hoot to see I was trailing John Lee Hooker, and Mississippi Fred McDowell was gaining on me!

With Playstation I was absolutely bonkers over the car combat games - Twisted Metal, Vigilante 8, Carmaggedon and another obscure one called Rogue Trip which also had all sorts of cool gimmicks that weren't in other car combat games.

Good times....
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey, specifically (right now) in relation to the Nintendo Switch, my son keeps talking about there being hackers who are soiling the games (right now hes playing a game called Splattoon 2). Is this whole hacker thing in games a myth? The kids seem to use the word in a different way than we would, and I dont get it.

jazz fusion, 80s, synth tommy_n_chucky's Avatar
    Bro, your kid is smarter than you are.
    ღ。* ♥✰˚★* your Ctrl-V Whore brought to you by Clipmate ღ。* ♥✰˚★* 。ღ
    ,♫♪♫♪,`♫♪♫♪ ~ Choose Reality ~ ,♫♪♫♪,`♫♪♫♪

^ I would just like to know what these "hackers" are doing. If they are actually exploiting code, or just intentionally ganging up and spoiling/winning games.

You're asking in the wrong forum, bro. Try asking on Reddit or any videogame forum and let us know what you discover.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

I found that the more "realistic" games got, the less I liked them. Something about the old-school pixel charm.
    Plenty of current games are recreating that old style of art and play. Dead Cells, Hyper Light Drifter, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Fez. The style has become very popular again. I'm playing a "metroidvania" (think about how in Metroid or Castlevania you side scrolled your way through a dungeon crawl looking for the items that would help you continue opening the map) game called Guacamelee 2. The graphics are cleaner than those old pixel-art games, but it's the same basic style of play. Still lots of fun to be had for gamers looking for something retro.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ I would just like to know what these "hackers" are doing. If they are actually exploiting code, or just intentionally ganging up and spoiling/winning games.
    Back when I used to play online games, people used the term "hacker" sometimes to describe players who used modifications to cheat at the game. Some development companies began implementing security features to prevent this kind of thing. Maybe that's what your son is referring to?

Although, I'm not sure if it's possible to do that with a console game like the Switch, where it's a closed system. Much different than on a PC where players have direct access to their machine's operating system. Wish I could be more helpful...

Super Mario Maker 2

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Plenty of current games are recreating that old style of art and play. Dead Cells, Hyper Light Drifter, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Fez. The style has become very popular again. I'm playing a "metroidvania" (think about how in Metroid or Castlevania you side scrolled your way through a dungeon crawl looking for the items that would help you continue opening the map) game called Guacamelee 2. The graphics are cleaner than those old pixel-art games, but it's the same basic style of play. Still lots of fun to be had for gamers looking for something retro.
    I've been into the retro games myself. Still not playing any, but watching games by streamers...and I'm excited to find out ~ Super Mario Maker 2 is coming out for the Nintendo Switch December 31, 2019.

Psychology Study Reveals How Nostalgia Made Retro Video Games Popular Again
    From 'Donkey Kong' to the Super Nintendo.
    By Nicholas Bowman and Tim Wulf, The Conversation on August 28, 2018
    https://www.inverse.com/article/4845...ro-video-games

The eons are closing
    Hey, specifically (right now) in relation to the Nintendo Switch, my son keeps talking about there being hackers who are soiling the games (right now hes playing a game called Splattoon 2). Is this whole hacker thing in games a myth? The kids seem to use the word in a different way than we would, and I dont get it.
    Jed - Splatoon 2 is one of the most widely hacked games. In this instance, the term means exploring weak code to alter game mechanics to cheat. As such the gaming experience for many suffers.

To combat hacks/exploits, game companies try different methods. For example BattleEye is an exploit fighting tool deployed by some companies that run their own 'network' for online play (e.g. fortnite)
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

The eons are closing
    For those thinking of trying No Man's Sky,
    I say get thee to a GameStop to find a 2nd hand disc then get ready for the mega summer update!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/25/...summer-beyond/

No Man's Sky is 50% off on Steam through this weekend!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Jed - Splatoon 2 is one of the most widely hacked games. In this instance, the term means exploring weak code to alter game mechanics to cheat. As such the gaming experience for many suffers.

To combat hacks/exploits, game companies try different methods. For example BattleEye is an exploit fighting tool deployed by some companies that run their own 'network' for online play (e.g. fortnite)
    Thanks for the info. Fortunately my son seems to have moved on from Splatoon 2 for now. The in-game purchases are an equally frustrating thing, especially when you're dealing with a kid who doesn't quite understand the value of a certain amount of money - what the game makers ask for certain accessories or whatever in games is sometimes outrageous, and obviously just trying to prey on players who want an advantage in the game, or just for some reason think an accessory is cool to have.

Jailbreak is another game my son's played a lot recently. Fortunately he'll sometimes get into a much milder game that's less competitive and doesn't seem to have as much interaction, hacking, etc. and that's where he is right now. It's a long way from when we played games on an Atari system!

I just picked up a Nintendo64. Again.
    It's nice playing some of those old favorites. It's not much for nuance with controls, so I've been overcompensating a lot getting used to the control style again. But so far the fun of the games has held up.

Also got a Sega Genesis (again) a few years back, and that's alright. But the 64 was definitely my favorite console ever. And I've had them from the Atari to the PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I just picked up a Nintendo64. Again.
    It's nice playing some of those old favorites. It's not much for nuance with controls, so I've been overcompensating a lot getting used to the control style again. But so far the fun of the games has held up.

Also got a Sega Genesis (again) a few years back, and that's alright. But the 64 was definitely my favorite console ever. And I've had them from the Atari to the PS4.
    Mario 64 was truly a revolutionary gaming experience, IMO. And of course things like StarFox 64, Ocarina Of Time, Smash Bros. Those were all great.

N64 had some great stuff on it. When it comes to personal fondness, the SNES was my overall favorite. But the N64 was really like a doorway into a whole new world of gaming.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Anybody here play EVE? I really got into it about a year ago, an absolutely awesome space game with PVP and PVE space battles and much much more. Was thinking about diving back in it lately, would be cool to do it with some bros....
    Where words fail, music speaks. - Hans Christian Anderson

The eons are closing
    Thanks for the info. Fortunately my son seems to have moved on from Splatoon 2 for now. The in-game purchases are an equally frustrating thing, especially when you're dealing with a kid who doesn't quite understand the value of a certain amount of money - what the game makers ask for certain accessories or whatever in games is sometimes outrageous, and obviously just trying to prey on players who want an advantage in the game, or just for some reason think an accessory is cool to have.

Jailbreak is another game my son's played a lot recently. Fortunately he'll sometimes get into a much milder game that's less competitive and doesn't seem to have as much interaction, hacking, etc. and that's where he is right now. It's a long way from when we played games on an Atari system!
    Any game that acquires a certain level of notoriety is a magnet for those who design and those whose use outside exploits.

Believe me, for awhile when my son first started gaming online, every loss or misplayed game was because of "hacks and cheaters". Once he got better himaelf, he recognized good play from 'questionable'.

Believe me, for awhile when my son first started gaming online, every loss or misplayed game was because of "hacks and cheaters". Once he got better himaelf, he recognized good play from 'questionable'.
    I hate that shit. The first time I ever played a game online was Delta Force. I entered a game already in session and some kid was sitting in a spot where he could see you spawn and would pick you off asap. And that's a major problem, as well: too many immature kids who don't know the value of fair competition. And that's why I don't play games online.
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I did that in a Call Of Duty multiplayer, after I had been killed about a dozen times in 15 minutes I decided to stick to the solo player version as gramps was obviously easy pickings.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The eons are closing
    I played Delta Force and that's spawn camping.

Not a hack or exploit, just bad game design and its a concept thats been dealt with in the industry overall but still happens.

Not a hack or exploit, just bad game design and its a concept thats been dealt with in the industry overall but still happens.
    No, I understand that but my point still stands: too many people, kids especially, don't know the value of fair competition. I would rather play a close, exciting game and lose than win by some other method that's not fair to my competitor.
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    I might have to look for a particularly violent video game to play:

What we found was that desire for sex was correlated with their violent video game play. And both men and women who said that they were more interested in sex played more violent video games.
    https://www.realclearscience.com/art...es_109297.html
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

I know a woman that used to get um...revved up by playing Dragon Age.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart