Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Remembering- Most Underrated YES Epic?

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    I agree that this is an overlooked epic. Its unique in several ways

one of the great things about The Remembering is the ending of The Revealing Science of God.

Typically the grand Yes songs introduce and develop a foundational theme until it culminates in a final climax. (I get up, I get down, How can the wind with so many around me...) so the Revealing builds in this typical Yesfashion with each instance of "I must have waited all my life for this....moment, moment.." building in intensity. The song finally sets up to have a dramatic crescendo, but instead that grand climax is totally missing, I must have waited all my life for this....

the lines following trail off in an echo like fashion accentuating the absence.

so, like tantric sex, you build towards a fulfilling climax, but at the key moment you hold off to elevate to an even higher plane. This is where the Remembering takes over. Now the Remembering's foundational theme starts with the, "and I do think very well..." The final entry of which is the dramatic center point of Tales.

Also unique is the near absence of drums. Its roughly six minutes in before you hear an example of what you would consider traditional drumming. This places a greater emphasis on melody and creates a starker contrast between softer melodic moments and the more traditional rock moments.
    Perfect analysis of a YES classic!

Rick Wakeman's contributions to this tune are fantastic, too! Frenetic, atonal piano stuff after the ..starlight.....section.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 01-26-2016 at 01:01 AM.

My favourite side of Tales. It's structure is so unique and strange, I still feel I never quite know what's coming around the corner next even after many listens. A shame it didn't survive long in the '76 tour.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    I do love the two Wakeman interlude sections with the synth melody
    You should check out the Live 1974 versions of "The Remembering." Wakeman extends that latter section by several minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    You should check out the Live 1974 versions of "The Remembering." Wakeman extends that latter section by several minutes.
    Will do. I have a few bootlegs from that tour.

I like that piece a great deal, as much as the album. BTW, I've been looking for some bibliographical material on that album, does anyone know any books about it?