Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Shine On Brightly' Vs 'Ars Longa Vita Brevis': Which was more influential?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was aware of that, I was talking about the first one Emerson recorded. Emerson did the theme in 4/4 as opposed to, what, 9/8? Brubeck was credited alongside the band.
    Brubeck was not credited on any of the original Nice releases. "Rondo" was credited to "Emerlist Davjack."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I disagree that the Band was just hype. Their first two albums were just really superb. (They went on a gradual decline after that.) They had a rustic feel, but they weren't simply "countrified." They were never about steel guitars or two-beat bass lines. They had great songwriting, clever lyrics, innovative song structures and arrangements, Garth Hudson's utterly insane keyboards, and three distinctive vocalists. They were a truly great band in their day. And since everything is prog, check out the odd beats and constant stylistic shifts here:

Three DISTINCTIVE vocalists? They all sound the same to me.

^ Don't worry - Chris Farlowe is comin' to yer rescue sooner than ye know it!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM