Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Peter Gabriel & Sting : "Rock Paper Scissors" tour 2016

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Here's "Games Without Frontiers". Anyone else cringe a bit when Peter starts doing his "funny walk" bits. It worked great back when he was younger, but now it's a bit like watching a Brian Pern parody IMO. Also he seems to be avoiding the higher vocal parts, which robs the performance of some potential sizzle.
    Nah, it still works for me. What I don't like is Sting's participation. I just find him annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Well, it wasn't Peter singing it but that was pretty cool all the same.

And I know Jed is seeing this so I just have to say: Dude -- how can this bore you?
    Sting covering Genesis is nice, then it goes into faux-Jamaican Police crappiness.

You wonder how many people in the audience recognized the song.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    I wonder that too - there was some obvious reaction from some fans but it probably wasn't as loud as the reaction to Message in a Bottle. I always wondered why Peter will play his solo songs that date back to 1977 now but has always refused to go back to 3 years before that to play any Genesis songs. When building his solo career and trying to stay relevant it made sense but now pretty much every song he plays will be at least 30 years old. Why not play some 40 year old songs as well?

i guess Sting didn't convince PG to do Genesis songs, so he did. sampling that is)

Steve makes a living off it, and Peter avoids it like the plague, weird.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I wonder that too - there was some obvious reaction from some fans but it probably wasn't as loud as the reaction to Message in a Bottle. I always wondered why Peter will play his solo songs that date back to 1977 now but has always refused to go back to 3 years before that to play any Genesis songs. When building his solo career and trying to stay relevant it made sense but now pretty much every song he plays will be at least 30 years old. Why not play some 40 year old songs as well?
    Actually he played a couple of Genesis songs in his earlier solo gigs...that's more than he has since!

This is, I would imagine, the first time a Genesis song has been played at a Peter Gabriel show in decades. And he never even sang it!

Well, to be fair, I get where he's coming from. He's one of the few rock artists who went solo that genuinely did carve out a completely new identity. I mean, even Paul McCartney has played a load of Beatles songs in his gigs, from the mid 70s Wings shows onwards.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-14-2017 at 07:34 AM.

I wrote a lot of stuff in my 20s that I now find embarrassingly bad. Maybe Peter feels the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well, to be fair, I get where he's coming from. He's one of the few rock artists who went solo that genuinely did carve out a completely new identity. I mean, even Paul McCartney has played a load of Beatles songs in his gigs, from the mid 70s Wings shows onwards.
    To your point, I doubt McCartney would claim that his solo career eclipsed his successes with The Beatles. Not the situation with PG.

But one could argue that a big part of what made Genesis so special during Peter's time in the band were his unique contributions. "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" would have been pretty different without what Peter brought to it, which Sting obviously gets.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Actually he played a couple of Genesis songs in his earlier solo gigs...that's more than he has since!
    This is, I would imagine, the first time a Genesis song has been played at a Peter Gabriel show in decades. And he never even sang it!
    He played "The Lamb..." & "Back In NYC" solo way back in the late '70's and hasn't done any Genesis songs since the Milton Keynes reunion shows in 1982.
    Here is the updated first night of the "R,P,S" tour setlist showing running order and collaborations-
    (Click for SPOILERS- http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sting-...-73fe46dd.html )
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

New PG song:

I wonder if Sting's quoting of "Selling England by the Pound" had something to do with Brexit?

Didn't Britain enter the EU in 1973, the same year as SEBTP? Did that lyric have anything to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I always wondered why Peter will play his solo songs that date back to 1977 now but has always refused to go back to 3 years before that to play any Genesis songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    He played "The Lamb..." & "Back In NYC" solo way back in the late '70's and hasn't done any Genesis songs since the Milton Keynes reunion shows in 1982.
    Although he did want to resurrect "Supper's Ready" (of all things) several years back, but was allegedly talked out of the idea by Levin and Rhodes. He has remained publicly fond of that track in the many years since its release, but it's still a big surprise that he would even toy with the idea of bringing it back live at that stage of his career. Now, something like "Carpet Crawlers" I could see... in fact now that I mention it, I'm surprised he hasn't done that one.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I think part of why Gabriel doesn't do Genesis songs is because he no longer has the voice for it. He sang those songs in a high register, and his voice has gotten deeper over the years. Heck, even in 1982 his voice sounded dreadful doing those songs at the reunion gig.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I think part of why Gabriel doesn't do Genesis songs is because he no longer has the voice for it. He sang those songs in a high register, and his voice has gotten deeper over the years. Heck, even in 1982 his voice sounded dreadful doing those songs at the reunion gig.
    Eh, I think his band is good enough to handle a little transposing. I think it has a lot more to do with early-career songs no longer being relevant to what he does (with the odd exceptions, obviously, as people are pointing out).
    Last edited by Spiral; 06-24-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Going to the show Monday night in NY at the Garden. Anyone else?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Judging by the audience reaction, quite a few ?? Cool moment
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    New PG song:

Thanks, will watch soon. He wrote it in the past week though?

I know no one wants to give spoilers, but I'm dying to know: Which is it? Rock, paper or scissors? And who had which?

Last night at Jones Beach.
    DWTMK/MIAB-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Saw this Friday night with my wife Friday night at Jones Beach. NIGHTMARE getting there from the Hudson Valley - over 4 hours.

LOVED the show! A concert that both my wife and I could both dig. Vinnie on drums, Tony Levin on bass, Davis Rhodes, a killer violinst, cellist, Irish bouzouki, etc. Both guys sang their asses off, but Pete just slayed me. First time ever seeing him live, and possibly the only time I ever will. I won't post the setlist, but aside from some cliched Police tunes, I thought it was great.

The weather was absolutely perfect - clear, no humidity, water as a backdrop. I would buy a BluRay or CD for my wife if they ever release one. Pricey, but a fantastic night.

Here's the relatively spoiler-free mini-review I posted on my Facebook page:

Incredible, amazing show. Instead of two sets, both bands just shared the stage for over 2.5 hours...sometimes they took turns but mostly they all played together, and they even sang each other's songs, sometimes completely, sometimes harmonizing or alternating lead vocals. 14 supremely talented musicians, many of whom I've been a fan of for decades, interacting in various combinations to deliver a steady stream of songs that have impacted my life over the past 30 or so years. It was an indescribable evening.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I wrote a lot of stuff in my 20s that I now find embarrassingly bad. Maybe Peter feels the same way.
    I know I'm grinding the sacred cow into a Big Mac but I really cant stand PG's Genesis lyrics and singing... many of his solo songs OTOH are astounding
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Saw the Jones Beach show on Friday. Great show and loved the interplay between Sting and Gabriel, with them doing each other's songs. Both bands were amazing.
    Sting singing the opening lines of DWTMK brought a tear to my eye.

While I loved the show and a big fan of Gabriel been to every tour since 78, I was disappointed in the song selection (he does his same hits every tour) and it is starting to bother me that he doesn't do anything from Genesis. After Seeing Steve Hackett basically do half the Lamb on tour and so many other old timers doing their old songs I'm starting to get sick of Gabriel's I will only do solo songs attitude. It is now obvious that Genesis and Gabriel will never play together. He should be proud of his Genesis stuff but it seems to me that he hates it.

MSG for me in a few hours. Stoked!