Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Gabriel & Sting : "Rock Paper Scissors" tour 2016

Looks to be a "Promoters" tour idea. When the originator's of the songs start doing covers of their own material, look out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    I would be surprised if they did anything esoteric from either of their [respective] catalog[s].
    Hmmm...

http://petergabriel.com/news/peter-and-sting-tour-2016/

“The interesting thing for me is what happens to our songs when they are juxtaposed with each other’s songs. What I do will change what he does and vice-versa. The songs we trade and the songs that we sing together will have an unexpected result, we hope”, says Sting, whilst Peter adds “For me it’s partly what sounds good in that present incarnation balanced with what people want to hear. You want to try and get both sides and throw in something unfamiliar as well as the hits”.

I stayed away from the Sting/Paul Simon tour, but after seeing the setlist thought I would've really enjoyed it. So, I'm considering the Sting/Gabriel paring.

Take a look at Sting/Simon's setlist to help get a sense of where this new tour may go. Sure, there's many of the expected classics, but with THAT many songs performed they did a lot of unexpected stuff, too. They traded off back and forth through the whole night, together and apart. Pretty impressive, I'd say:

Setlist

Paul Simon & Sting
    Brand New Day
    The Boy in the Bubble
    Fields of Gold
    Mother and Child Reunion

Sting
    So Lonely
    When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around
    Englishman in New York
    Shape of My Heart
    Driven to Tears
    Walking on the Moon

Paul Simon & Sting
    Mrs. Robinson

Paul Simon
    50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
    Dazzling Blue
    Graceland
    Still Crazy After All These Years
    Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard

Paul Simon & Sting
    Fragile

Sting
    America
    Message in a Bottle
    The Hounds of Winter
    The End of the Game
    Roxanne
    Desert Rose

Paul Simon & Sting
    The Boxer

Paul Simon
    That Was Your Mother
    Homeward Bound
    The Cool, Cool River
    Hearts and Bones
    Mystery Train
    Wheels
    Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
    You Can Call Me Al

Encore:
    Paul Simon & Sting
    Cecilia
    Every Breath You Take
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    When Will I Be Loved?
    (The Everly Brothers cover) ((acoustic duet))

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What if you don't like Sting?

BTW, speaking of grievances and deceased musicians, I heard this weekend about Bowie's off-Broadway show Lazarus, which runs for a couple more weeks. I thought I'd just look at ticket availability, and for ALL remaining performances the ticket prices are like $2,500 each. That's right, $2,500. I'm assuming they've jacked the crap out of the prices and are making it some kind of fund-raising thing for the theater. Not sure how I feel about that. I certainly don't blame Bowie though!

The show is a sequel to The Man Who Fell to Earth. It sounds interesting, but it seems it will have some kind of life after this production - I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of price anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Hmmm...
    To my ears that simply means they would do something recognizable in a slightly different way...Solsbury Hill as a Gregorian chant or Message in a Bottle sung in a round. But I guess that's the glass half empty in me that thinks that.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

BTW, speaking of grievances and deceased musicians, I heard this weekend about Bowie's off-Broadway show Lazarus, which runs for a couple more weeks. I thought I'd just look at ticket availability, and for ALL remaining performances the ticket prices are like $2,500 each. That's right, $2,500. I'm assuming they've jacked the crap out of the prices and are making it some kind of fund-raising thing for the theater. Not sure how I feel about that. I certainly don't blame Bowie though!

The show is a sequel to The Man Who Fell to Earth. It sounds interesting, but it seems it will have some kind of life after this production - I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of price anyway.
    I was under the impression it was sold out prior to his passing. Are you sure you aren't looking at a second hand market? (I'm not claiming you are wrong - just wondering). His label is donating profits of his sales for the month of January to cancer research.

Just curious given that they are "sharing a band" or what ever. Does that mean Tony Levin would not be needed and PG would have Sting comping behind him ?

The Man who Fell to Earth is a wacked movie. I have it on blu ray. I have to rematch it soon.

They don't make movies like that, for sure.

2500 per ticket is unbelievable. Why don't they just extend the run?

I wonder if David Sancious will be in the backing-band. He played with both.
    If he does I hope this will not slow down the release of his new album 'The Treehouse Sessions', which has been on his site for quite a while now.

Then you probably wouldn't be interested in this tour.

The show is a sequel to The Man Who Fell to Earth. It sounds interesting, but it seems it will have some kind of life after this production.
    Well, I mean, it is called "Lazarus."

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    2500 per ticket is unbelievable. Why don't they just extend the run?
    That wouldn't be as profitable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

To be fair: it closes tonight (sold out), and tomorrow's performance (the only remaining performance), which you're referring to, is a fundraiser. From the theater's website:

The final performance of LAZARUS on January 20, 2016 will benefit NYTW’s artistic development and education programming. Tickets are $1,000 (includes one ticket to the final performance plus a VIP invitation for two to NYTW’s upcoming production of Red Speedo) and $2,500 (includes one ticket to the final performance plus access to an after-party celebrating the run and a VIP invitation for two to NYTW’s upcoming productions of Red Speedo and Hadestown).

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    To be fair: it closes tonight (sold out), and tomorrow's performance (the only remaining performance), which you're referring to, is a fundraiser. From the theater's website:

The final performance of LAZARUS on January 20, 2016 will benefit NYTW’s artistic development and education programming. Tickets are $1,000 (includes one ticket to the final performance plus a VIP invitation for two to NYTW’s upcoming production of Red Speedo) and $2,500 (includes one ticket to the final performance plus access to an after-party celebrating the run and a VIP invitation for two to NYTW’s upcoming productions of Red Speedo and Hadestown).
    Yeah, I took another look and saw this - I guess maybe I had only looked at that last performance and didn't see the note. Calling all rich Bowie fans...

Calling all rich Bowie fans...
    Hey, all those Wall St. bankers have to spend their billions somewhere!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Just curious given that they are "sharing a band" or what ever. Does that mean Tony Levin would not be needed and PG would have Sting comping behind him ?
    TLev is on board, for at least the PG portions. I'm also very curious as to the makeup of the band(s) - I doubt that I'll plump for a ticket, but hearing something interesting about the musicians involved and how they're being used might sway me.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I am so done with arena shows.
    Arena isn't the only neo prog band you know.

Interesting setlist for the Paul Simon tour. How can Sting NOT play "Russians" though? Such a great song, and was pretty well known, at least at one time... not sure how it would sound with PG. I do hope they pull out a couple of old gems and surprise everybody. I expect "Red Rain" for sure, as I know Sting is a big fan of it.

Maybe they'll do Phil Collins' "Take Me Home" since they were the two backup singers on it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Maybe they'll do Phil Collins' "Take Me Home" since they were the two backup singers on it!

They will!

Does Sting like Genesis? If so, maybe he can coax Gabes to do a Genesis number.

Maybe Sting will do That'll Do, Pig, and Gabriel will do De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da.

I am going to pass on this and enjoy my memory of seeing both of them at Wembley on the Human Rights Now tour in 1988. I would rather both of them devote their time to new music, but the lucrative cash cow of touring beckons...

This a natural concert to go see: my wife loves Sting's music, and I feel the same about Peter Gabriel. Everyone is happy.
    Last edited by The Dark Elf; 01-19-2016 at 09:22 PM.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by carollover View Post
    I am going to pass on this and enjoy my memory of seeing both of them at Wembley on the Human Rights Now tour in 1988. I would rather both of them devote their time to new music, but the lucrative cash cow of touring beckons...
    Maybe they enjoy going out and performing. It is kind of fun to play your music in front of large crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I so agree. I saw Gabriel there a few years ago and it was one of the more unpleasant concert going experiences that I have ever had. I have seen other shows there that weren't quite as bad, but ultimately, the place is full of the most entitled, rude fans that I have ever witnessed.
    Because in LA a concert is the excuse to have a drink not to listen good music. I hate Hollywood Bowl too. Ah... and about ticket prices in LA they are most of the times even more expensive than in other cities (though same concert).

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    SON-OF-A-BITCH !!!

Nothing even remotely near Atlanta.
    let alone Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    What happened, they were playing tug-of-war over Manu Katche for the summer and neither one would let go?

Looks pretty interesting, I suppose, but I'm scared to even imagine what prices will be like for this one.
    for the Katche thing...

Yeah, but let's face it, I'd probably be ready to fork up the $£€ to see both on the same night, as to not face huge crowds twice in the same decade
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Scored a $55- ticket for MSG. Only cost $71.20. Surprisingly, no extra charge for them to drop it in the mail.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973