Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mick Mars- THAT terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    His use of steel guitar put him in a different league than all those shredder hair metal guitarists IMO.
    He was also a big surf guitar fan. He said it was Dick Dale and The Surfaris that inspired him to play guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, none of those guys actually posed in Playgirl

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

'Eruption', brilliant as it is, has a lot to answer for.
    Actually, I would be inclined to say it would be Cream, Led Zeppelin, and Iron Butterfly who have a lot to answer for, so far as all those kind of things go.

But you want to hear a bad ass guitar cadenza, and one that predates Eruption, look no further than the Space Ace himself:

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Actually, I knew about the Kip Winger one, because he was razzed about it years later on VH-1 for not actually going full monty.

But in both cases, that was actually later. I'm talking about how they ended up in those stupid bands in the first place, ie they were chosen because they looked like they belonged in New Kids On The Block, not because they could give Freddie Mercury or Robert Plant a run for their money (which of course none of them could).

Oh and as far choosing band members because of what they looked like, Michael Clarke had zero musical experience before he joined The Byrds, but they put him behind the drums because he looked like a cross between Mick Jagger and Brian Jones.

I have 3 Crue albums. They're good because of Muck Mars. Vince Neal sucks, Tommy Lee is nothing special, Mr. Sixx stole a bass thinking it was a guitar. Mick and attitude are what make those albums so good.

Muck Mars

Damn "smart phone."

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, he got his cock caught in the gears.
    Didn't that happen to Alice Cooper as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Is that so bad? he's aping many of his predecessor (like EVH and Marino, for ex), though the key word is "aping"

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I don't think their music would have been any better if Mick could have played/faster/better. What he played was prefect for their music.
    Yup, never cared at all for these guys (though I dare say that I tend to prefer - or not detest as much - some hair-metal to electro-pop of a few years earlier ), so I didn't anal-yse their music

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No idea how bad he is as I've never heard of him. As for Motley Crue, can't stand them.
    Actually, if I was aware of Sixx and Neil's names, I didn't know the names or the other two, though I'd heard the Mars name before, I just didn't know he was part of the Crüe.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.