Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes Summer 2016 USA Tales/Drama tour

Yes Summer 2016 USA Tales/Drama tour

Posted by Yes official on Facebook Thursday along with a mashup of the Tales and Drama album covers:

Summer 2016 USA:
    What happened to this song we once knew so well? We love when we play. I’m waiting and watching…

Wow. Tales and Drama. That's quite ambitious.

Bill
    Last edited by Adm.Kirk; 01-17-2016 at 01:24 PM.
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Drama is a natural. Tales? Hmmm.....

I kinda wish they would just do a regular setlist - I'm a little burned-out on these entire album shows.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Wow. Tales and Drama. That's quite ambitious.

Bill
    I don't see it.. Not all 4 sides..

If there's any chance of Tales material besides Ritual, Leaves of Green, and RSoG, then I'm in. Drama is easily one of my favorite Yes albums, so that just sweetens the deal.

I wish it would be the opposite: one song from most albums except skip H&E and OYE although the song "Open Your Eyes" would work. They could play one from each of the classic period but skip Tales then "[Insert two from Drama], "Cinema", "Shoot High, Aim Low", "Mascquerade / Lift Me Up", "7 minute version of Endless Dream" [skip Keys] "Homeworld (or New Languages)", "In The Presence Of" and "Fly From Here (10 min version)"

Then you rethink and throw out Endless Dream, Open Your Eyes to allow for more 70s era songs

Wow. They must realize H&E alienated the faithful and that a return to essentials was required. Will this be the first time Downes has performed any Tales material?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

^Heaven and Earth...you'd be forgiven for thinking that never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I don't see it.. Not all 4 sides..
    I can't imagine how this line-up can pull it off. They haven't played nearly half of it since it came out.

100 pages here before a note is played. And then I look forward to seeing all those notes played.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Love tales but think it would be an endurance test in concert ! The only concept albums that would maintain my attention are Tommy & Quadrophenia. R.W's recent tour of The Wall was a brilliant visual experience but found myself wishing the next song would 'hurry up' at times!

More like Fragile & Drama... at least on the UK/European leg
    http://yesworld.com/

I've sworn off Yes live (last saw them in 1997 and that was only because they did The Revealing Science of God) but all four "movements" of Tales from Topographic Oceans would be incentive to go. Oh, and Relayer.
    ...or you could love

It's nice to see Geoff do the Yes album he is best known for instead of being "Rick" yet again. Oh, he does have to be him on Tales but it's like Rick was partly absent and there's lots of chordal work (rather than tons of intricate synth solos) so he may be a good fit for that too.

The chance to see sides 2 and 3 of Tales alone are enticing. Drama is a bonus!

Tales would be awesome, especially 'The Remembering' and 'The Ancient', my two favorite sides. 'The Remembering' remains my probable favorite Yes track as it so beautiful, and summery. No doubt Steve would have to relearn much of all those parts, but I think he could do it. Things like the subtle keyboard and guitar textures of 'The Remembering', and vocal harmonies for sides one and four would be much more difficult. I'd be surprised if they could do the material justice at this point, but I love the idea of them trying.

No way they play all 4 sides of Tales. My bet is sides 1 and 4 only

Yeah, I don't know where folks are getting the notion they'd play all 4 sides of Tales. Sides 1 and 4 tops. Add in a healthy chunk of Drama and finish things off with "Roundabout", "Owner", and maybe "YIND" and a couple of CTTE tracks. Boom, done.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Tales without Jon Anderson is like Peanut Butter & Jelly wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

suddenly this Rabin/Wakeman/Anderson tour sounds more appealing.

Go out to the web site, it clearly states Fragile + Drama. Not Tales.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    We just lost Bowie so it's tough for me to even think about an entity as lightweight and insubstantial as what's left of the band legally entitled to call itself Yes. I'm more interested in what ARW are cooking up.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    To put a final comment on the Tales possiblity....Side 4 of Tales LIVE with a weakling such as Alan White on Drums would be COMPLETE travistry...Fragile & Drama is a much better combo......don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE to see/hear Tales LIVE but as we all know YES just are not up to the task in this day-and-age.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Look some more. Fragile and Drama concerns Europe. Look at Facebook and Instagram for the Tales/Drama teaser.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Look some more. Fragile and Drama concerns Europe. Look at Facebook and Instagram for the Tales/Drama teaser.
    I think folks are reading too much into this.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I think folks are reading too much into this.
    Au contraire, mon frère for it is you who needs to read into this some more-
    1917579_1163414900337163_822223436047674806_n.jpg
    Summer 2016 USA:
    "What happened to this song we once knew so well? We love when we play. I’m waiting and watching…"
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Yeah, tell me now it's FRAGILE and Drama. ^^^ That art does not suggest that.

Side 4 of Tales LIVE with a weakling such as Alan White on Drums would be COMPLETE travistry
    Oh please, he played the hell out of Ritual when I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl in 1975. Fussy jazz drummer Bill Bruford wouldn't have come close to what Alan White did on that song. Start at about 6:00 in this clip, Alan White does a great job:

Of course, that was 40 years ago but still.
    ...or you could love