Thread: FEATURED CD - Secret Chiefs 3: Book Of Horizons

FEATURED CD - Secret Chiefs 3: Book Of Horizons

Per Allmusic:
    Secret Chiefs 3's first three studio albums were not exactly stripped-down affairs, but Book of Horizons is by far an ambitious release. The first volume of a planned three-part series of albums, Horizons is set up to resemble a compilation of bands, the catch being that all of these bands are headed by SC3 leader Trey Spruance. The six bands, which have two or three songs each on this album, encompass pretty much the full range of SC3's previous stylistic forays, including the funeral ballads and marches of the Forms; the orchestral, Persian-themed rock hybrids of Ishraqiyun; the time-traveling surf-rock of UR; the electro-acoustic collages of Electromagnetic Azoth; the extreme death metal band Holy Vehm; and the sweeping film music homages of Traditionalists. These "bands" are not physically separate entities so much as they are distinct concepts, since musicians overlap from one band to the next, and can change from song to song within each band. In any case, this separation of SC3's many diverse elements into distinct bands has led to more extreme song-to-song contrasts than on any earlier SC3 release. The two Holy Vehm songs are heavier than anything Spruance has ever released, while the more linear, melodic numbers (Traditionalists' Morricone-esque "The Exile," the Forms' "The End Times," UR's surf-tinged cover of the Exodus theme) rank as his most lavishly orchestrated productions. In between these extremes lies the Devo-esque surf-rock of UR's "Anthropomorphosis: Boxleitner" (a worthy sequel to "White As They Come" from First Grand Constitution and Bylaws), the reverb-drenched Afghani folk-metal of Ishraqiyun's "The 3," and Forms' stunning closer "Welcome to the Theatron Animatrique" -- which sounds like the sort of orchestral film music that should be coming out of Hollywood circa 2004. Remarkably, given the huge orchestrations on so many of the tracks, there are only two samples on the entire record; all of the string sections, choirs, and such were the result of marathon overdub sessions à la Mr. Bungle's California. Even so, the album doesn't sound like it was labored over or artificially assembled, with the exception of the intentionally cut-and-pasted tracks by Electromagnetic Azoth and a few of the harsher edits on Holy Vehm's "Hypostasis of the Archon." And unlike Book M, which felt stiff and mechanical in spots, and California, which occasionally lacked the songwriting material to match the lavish production, Horizons comes through with soulful performances and top-shelf material on nearly every track (Ishraqiyun's "The Four" doesn't quite get off the ground like the other songs). The jarring juxtapositions between a few of the songs here disrupt the flow of the album here and there, a side effect of the compilation approach. Minor quibbles aside, this is a frequently jaw-dropping album that should silence Spruance's anti-Bungle critics and, more importantly, challenge and entertain devoted fans of his past work.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/book-o...s-mw0000477970

Regards,

Duncan

A classic.

SC3's best so far, and one of the finest modern prog albums of the last twenty years. On a level with Kayo Dot's Hubardo, SGM's Of Natural History, Cheer-Accident's Fear Draws Misfortune, and a few others. Does it equal the Seventies greats? I don't know - like much of the best music, it is its own animal and not easy to compare straight across with anything. Does it matter whether it does or doesn't equal them? No.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-14-2016 at 06:25 PM.

I'll have to dig this one out and dust it off. I recall having mixed feelings about it, and not particularly liking the death metal parts...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It's a tough call but I think this one is my favourite too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It was the first of theirs I bought so it probably benefits from that initial appreciation but man is it a great album love it. Seen them three times in the last couple of years and they never disappoint. They seemed to get a very positive reaction at RIO.

I'd agree with Baribrotzer and put it up there with Of Natural History, Fear Draws Misfortune, Avanti, Decline & Fall and 5 Suns as the best of the modern prog albums.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I love this one. I have only seen them play live recently and was of course blown away. I cannot wait to see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    A classic. [...] one of the finest modern prog albums of the last twenty years. On a level with Kayo Dot's Hubardo, SGM's Of Natural History, Cheer-Accident's Fear Draws Misfortune, and a few others. Does it equal the Seventies greats? I don't know.
    Well, to me it does.

And I love the other titles you mentioned. Add some TPlague, ToOrchids, Förträngt Hushållsarbete, Koenjihyakkei, Don Cab and Upsilon.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, to me it does.

And I love the other titles you mentioned. Add some TPlague, ToOrchids, Förträngt Hushållsarbete, Koenjihyakkei, Don Cab and Upsilon.
    Glad to see some TP fans in here. I saw them last weekend, got to spend some time with them as well. And funnily enough, the drummer and I discussed our love of Koenjihykkei!

Kavus got it right
    I love them all but this might be the best one

I agree with all the wonderful positive comments so far and the mentions of other modern greats! To me this is the crossover album event with Estradasphere with the sound mimicking that of a eerie soundtrack.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MagmAmerican View Post
    Glad to see some TP fans in here. I saw them last weekend, got to spend some time with them as well. And funnily enough, the drummer and I discussed our love of Koenjihykkei!
    I talked to Robin a lot over the two nights I saw them too. Hella nice guy. We chatted about Hosemobile. Miss that band.

No comments posted by Matt Lebofsky yet...
    Regards,

Duncan

I've been summoned ...

I don't have much to add here. As a fan I like Book M the best, with the First Grand Bylaws album second (an unpopular choice, I know).

Fun story: Shahzad played bass in a band with my wife years before Book of Horizons. I later heard he was playing on the (then) new SC3 album, and when BoH came out I was surprised to see he wasn't playing bass, but all kinds of percussion. I had no idea he played percussion that well. Ironically, Trey had no idea Shahzad played bass until after that album was completed. Then Shahzad ended up moving to bass in the live SC3 band.

Anyway.. a lot more SC3 is coming down the pike.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I've been summoned ...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I talked to Robin a lot over the two nights I saw them too. Hella nice guy. We chatted about Hosemobile. Miss that band.
    That Hosemobile release on Cuneiform arguably went over many a listener's head back then, but I still love it. Even that apparently fragmented long-form thing at the end. They (and Star Period Star plus a few others) were kinda "brutal prog" before the term was ever even thought of by W. Walter.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It would be great if we could @mention people in these threads, ala, I've been summoned!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I've been summoned ...

- Matt
    Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy.
    My 27 year old son recently borrowed my SC3, Atomic Ape and Estradasphere CDs and cruised around Ft. Lauderdale sharing it with his friends. Now there is a big fan base in South Florida crazy about this music and asking me for more. What a great way to share time with my busy son!
    Another proof that good music sells itself, Lebofsky.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Agreed, a wonderful person, I hope to see him in Denver this March. I saw you got your tickets to Magma on the other thread, glad to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by MagmAmerican View Post
    Agreed, a wonderful person, I hope to see him in Denver this March. I saw you got your tickets to Magma on the other thread, glad to hear it!
    Oh boy am I excited (my 15 year old son too!) as all hell to finally see the mighty Magma. Thanks for the info you've been dropping here sir!

Thanks to the Great Robert Guillerault for recording this performance!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They were great at RIO
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I've been summoned ...

I don't have much to add here. As a fan I like Book M the best, with the First Grand Bylaws album second (an unpopular choice, I know).

Fun story: Shahzad played bass in a band with my wife years before Book of Horizons. I later heard he was playing on the (then) new SC3 album, and when BoH came out I was surprised to see he wasn't playing bass, but all kinds of percussion. I had no idea he played percussion that well. Ironically, Trey had no idea Shahzad played bass until after that album was completed. Then Shahzad ended up moving to bass in the live SC3 band.

- Matt
    This is excellent news. I hope Book Of Souls Folio B is included here!

Book Of Horizons is certainly one of the best of the new millennium and SC3 strongest statement.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.