Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP David Bowie

RIP David Bowie

Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies at 69

The influential singer-songwriter and producer dabbled in glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career.

David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his representative confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.

The influential singer-songwriter and producer dabbled in glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career.

Bowie’s artistic breakthrough came with 1972’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, an album that fostered the notion of rock star as space alien. Fusing British mod with Japanese kabuki styles and rock with theater, Bowie created the flamboyant, androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust.

Three years later, Bowie achieved his first major American crossover success with the No. 1 single “Fame” off the Top 10 album Young Americans, then followed with the 1976 avant-garde art-rock LP Station to Station, which made it to No. 3 on the charts and featured Top 10 hit “Golden Years.”

Other memorable songs included 1983’s “Let’s Dance” — his only other No. 1 U.S. hit — “Space Oddity,” “Heroes,” “Changes,” “Under Pressure,” “China Girl,” “Modern Love,” “Rebel, Rebel,” “All the Young Dudes,” “Panic in Detroit,” “Fashion,” “Life on Mars” “Suffragette City” and a 1977 Christmas medley with Bing Crosby.

No.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Though there is an air of finality in Black Star, I'm genuinely shocked by this news. So long David. You went out on an extremely high note.

David Bowie, dead at 69.

Holy shit. After all the praise that was just being heaped upon Black Star, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/ar...gtype=Homepage

Did anyone see this coming?

Words fail. RIP.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Jeez, reading that I just felt that weird 'twist' as if the planet just suddenly tilted for a second.

I was also very surprised when I heard this news this morning on television. A sad, sad day for the music world. One of the few musicians who was still able to innovate.

Already started a thread with screen shots and comments here:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...IP-David-Bowie

wow
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Already started a thread with screen shots and comments here:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...IP-David-Bowie
    OK, since yours is more comprehensive why don't the mods delete this thread and move yours to the main forum. It deserves to be there.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

RIP.

Very sad.

RIP

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

One of a kind!
    His first wife Angie is currently on UK Celebrity BB,.
    RIP

RIP

This is shocking news!
    His first wife Angie is currently on UK Celebrity Big Brother!
    RIP

Wow. More and more are leaving all the time. RIP
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Terrible sad day today RIP

No words.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM