Thread: Fuchsia - new CD release by Esoteric. What happened?

Fuchsia - new CD release by Esoteric. What happened?

This is a great album that hasn't been served well by previous CD releases. The last one, on Nightwing, was heavily compressed and brickwalled in places. I was looking forward to this new release on Esoteric.

However, the sound is poor. There is an overall dullness to the sound, which suggests overuse of noise reduction, but closer listening indicates that it may also be the tape source. The CD sounds like it has been mastered from a poorly recorded cassette tape. The worst track is Another Nail, where the stereo image drifts and the overall volume drops towards the end of the track. By contrast the Nightwing version appears to have used a perfectly good tape source. I do give Esoteric credit for not compressing the sound, but that's all.

I am generally a fan of Esoteric and I enthusiastically support their reissue program, but sorry guys, this one's a dud.

I have the previous "remaster" Nightwind and their other Mahogany releaser and indeed it didn't sound as good as the previous CD (first?) release that I'd heard at a buddy's house previously (though that could be totally sujective).

If Esoteric didn't manage to make it sound better, it's maybe that the original recirdings weren't that good to start with.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This version should have the sound quality requested: http://www.discogs.com/Fuchsia-Fuchsia/release/2246292

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    If Esoteric didn't manage to make it sound better, it's maybe that the original recirdings weren't that good to start with.
    That. If the re-release was done from 1971 mix tapes or the original (vinyl) master, a lot could have happened to that material in the mean time, in terms of damage and deterioration.

Of all the vinyl reissues (and I've listened to them all) the Anazitisi LP version has the better sound. Then comes the Night Wings LP. French pressing on Klimt is probably a grey area release. Last, avoid a needle drop vinyl bootleg from the late 80s or early 90s cause it sounds muffled.

Haven't listened to any CD though.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS