Thread: Virgil Donati's Shreddy Fusion Band

Virgil Donati's Shreddy Fusion Band

I happened across this video on YT. Apparently this keyboard player, Austin Perlata passed away when he was only 22.

Hot man... hot.

Peralta died on November 21, 2012, at the age of 22. The LA County Coroner's Report indicated the most likely cause of death was viral pneumonia, aggravated by a combination of alcohol and drugs.[7] Thundercat's album Apocalypse (2013) pays tribute to Peralta.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Peralta died on November 21, 2012, at the age of 22. The LA County Coroner's Report indicated the most likely cause of death was viral pneumonia, aggravated by a combination of alcohol and drugs.[7] Thundercat's album Apocalypse (2013) pays tribute to Peralta.
    That's a real shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its basicly a track from Planet X- Quantum

Never heard of Charles Altura before.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

You're correct about the first tune; one of Virgil's. The second tune is "Nothing Personal" by Michael Brecker. It's the fastest version I've ever heard.

I'd never heard of Charles Altura either, but he's pretty amazing!

Pretty spiff...Donati seems to work better here than he did at a Holdsworth gig I caught a couple of years back. He was obviously a good athlete that day, but seemed to be forcing things and maybe not listening or fitting in as well as Wackerman or Husband did at numerous other events. Any recommendations on which Donati discs to snag?

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Pretty spiff...Donati seems to work better here than he did at a Holdsworth gig I caught a couple of years back. He was obviously a good athlete that day, but seemed to be forcing things and maybe not listening or fitting in as well as Wackerman or Husband did at numerous other events. Any recommendations on which Donati discs to snag?
    I've seen Holdsworth live at least a half dozen times and the last time was with Donati. I agree that he's not as good a fit as Wackerman or Husband. He's a truly great drummer, but sometimes Holdy's music requires a little more sensitivity than he can (or did) muster.

Planet X is Virgil's band for the most part; or at least that's what I assume since he does the majority of the writing. Derek Sherinian is always the keyboard player, but the bass player and guitar player's chairs change from time to time. Always high caliber players and the music is sort of a cross between math-metal and jazz fusion. Sometimes they remind me of a more complex Liquid Tension Experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    ...Any recommendations on which Donati discs to snag?
    I can highly recommend his solo discs: On The Virg - Serious Young Insects (1999) and In This Life (2013), and the discs with Planet X: MoonBabies (2002) and Quantum (2007).

Quote Originally Posted by magmaniac View Post
    I can highly recommend his solo discs: On The Virg - Serious Young Insects (1999) and In This Life (2013), and the discs with Planet X: MoonBabies (2002) and Quantum (2007).
    Planet X's debut, "Universe" came out in 2000. "Moon Babies" is my favorite of their three studio albums; more melody sprinkled over the complex madness.

I have yet to hear the other albums mentioned, but I'd like to.

I think I saw him in 2014 touring with Stanley Clarke.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

these are all good

Loose Change - Live at the Grainstore 1987
    Bunny Brunel's LA Zoo - Revisited 2004
    Frank Gambale, Rick Fierabracci, and Virgil - Made In Australia 2007
    CAB - Theatre de Marionnettes 2009
    Kiko Loureiro - Sounds of Innocence 2012
    Semantic Saturation - Solipsistic 2013
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Thanks much...will consume!

to further expand upon these

Loose Change - Live at the Grainstore 1987 (fusion) this was their only album and was recorded live at The Grainstore in Melbourne, Australia in September 1987. it was first released on vinyl late 1987, then remastered and released on CD in 2004. great instrumental fusion! last track is an awesome version of Cruise Missile by Steve Morse Band. my favorite is Blistered Lips

Virgil Donati - drums
    Mark Domoney - guitar
    Joe Chindamo - keys
    Steve Hadley - bass

Bunny Brunel's LA Zoo - Revisited 2004 (jazz fusion) originally released in 1998 as Bunny Brunel's L.A. Zoo, this 2004 redux features an extra track called Tiger. the drums were played by John Wackerman on the 1998 release. for Revisited, all of the drum and bass tracks were newly recorded by Virgil and Bunny. excellent production and just a fantastic album. highly rec'd! fave tracks are Vlad, Led Boots and Stratus of course.

Bunny Brunel - bass
    Vivian Campbell - guitar
    Ray Gomez - guitar
    Mike Stern - guitar
    Brian Auger - keys
    Virgil Donati - drums
    Jeff Grossberg - harmonica
    Mike Palmer - guitar
    Craig Adams - guitar

Frank Gambale, Rick Fierabracci, and Virgil - Made In Australia 2007 (jazz fusion) high caliber shit here! Frank is on fire backed up all the way by Rick and Virgil. recorded live in June 2003 at the Evelyn Hotel in Melbourne, Australia, the album is comprised of 3 tracks each from Frank and Virgil, 2 from Rick. fave track is one of Frank's tunes....Little Charmer

CAB - Theatre de Marionnettes 2009 (jazz rock/fusion) the 4th studio release from CAB is an explosive disc, intense and full of chops. The Pub and Purple Mars are a couple of faves

Tony MacAlpine - Guitar, Keyboards on Tracks 4,5,7,8
    Freddie Fox - Rhythm Guitar on Tracks 1,6,10
    Bernard Torelli - Rhythm Guitar on Track 12
    Bunny Brunel - Bass, Piccolo Bass, Keyboards on Tracks 6,9,12
    Brian Auger - Fender Rhodes, Hammond B3, Hammond Organ
    Chick Corea - Fender Rhodes, Electric Piano
    Patrice Rushen - Piano, Keyboards, Clavinet
    Michel Polnareff - Piano
    Sandeep Chowta - Keyboards on Tracks 1,3
    Virgil Donati - Drums
    Doug Webb - Saxophone
    Jeff Elliott - Trumpet

Kiko Loureiro - Sounds of Innocence 2012 (instrumental guitar) 4th solo release from former Angra guitarist (who is now with Megadeth). killer album, fast paced with a sprinkling of calm. whole album is a fave

Kiko Loureiro - guitars
    Felipe Andreoli - bass
    Virgil Donati - drums

Kiko, Virgil and Anthony Crawford @ the Baked Potato 12-20-2013

Semantic Saturation - Solipsistic 2013 (instrumental/progressive metal) Semantic Saturation is a project from Syrian guitarist Shant Hagopian. after founding the first metal band in Syria, Shant was faced with the impossible task of releasing an album in his home country and fled to Montreal. with the internet readily available, he began writing new music and collaborated with some of the most well known musicians in the world. Solipsistic is the astounding result. Stardust and Ambivalence are some faves

Shant Hagopian - guitars
    Virgil Donati - drums
    Rick Fierabracci - bass
    Derek Sherinian - keys
    Andy Kuntz - vocals on track 9

Semantic Saturation - Lost and Found: Insanity - Official Music Video

The Anatomy Of Live/2014, the On The Virg reunion DVD is fantastic. it was recorded in 2012 at the 20th anniversary of Drumtek's Australian Ultimate Drummers Weekend. the songs are from OTV's Serious Young Insects, In This Life and Quantum by Planet X.

Virgil Donati - drums
    Simon Hosford - guitars
    Phil Turcio - keys
    Doug Shreeve - bass

OTV Rehearsal - Melbourne Australia Aug 19th, 2012 - Part 1...Part 2

i.ain't.dead.irock

He played with Chick Corea's The Vigil.

This thread is making me drool. Anyone want to make me a compilation of Donati stuff? I already have the Planet X. :*)

More notes please!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I think Virg's first album is Just Add Water
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I think Virg's first album is Just Add Water
    his first release was with the Australian band The State - Elementary (1988) and they changed their name to Southern Sons on the next one. his first solo was Stretch (1995)

Virgil plays drums on 5 tracks of A Matter Of Perception from Nili Brosh including a rewrite of Alien Hip Hop just for this album. no links to individual songs, just some with Nili playing

Nili Brosh - A Matter of Perception on EMGtv (A Matter Of Perception/2014)

he contributes to a couple tracks on MSM Schmidt - Utopia (2015)

Qin Shi - The Face on the Wall and LV-223 (Virtual Donati)
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    his first solo was Stretch (1995)
    I have an album by a band called Stretch. I'll hafta look for that Virg album Stretch...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I'll hafta look for that Virg album Stretch...
    it's mostly Virgil drumming. there's some programmed backing tracks on some of them. that's it. nothing special really but hey, you may like it anyways I sure as hell never know what I might end up liking. I'm quite shocked at times. the joys of discovery
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I don't get the point of the hot chick spitting blood

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    He played with Chick Corea's The Vigil.
    I figured that out yesterday, since I have that album. I was kind of underwhelmed with his playing on it, but he sounds like a whole different player on that video!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    More notes please!
    More is more.

I can't remember which show it was (I've seen Virgil play live a couple times in different bands), but he played the most amazing and entertaining drum solo I've ever seen. He was twirling his sticks around at high speed and using them to hit cymbals and drums in a 360-degree motion. Just ridiculous.