Thread: Utopia Live at Fox Theater Atlanta 1973

Utopia Live at Fox Theater Atlanta 1973

So I just discovered this CD. This is the show when Utopia Theme was recorded. Tickets were 5.00 general admission. I had trouble getting someone to go with me, and my father had to pick us up. He insisted on 11 PM pick up time. Couldn't stay later for fear of losing my concert privileges. I missed hearing some of the tracks here, so this was nice to have.
    The concert was mixed in quad. I am holding out hope that someday Todd might release it in 5.1 or just quad like some of the SACD releases have done.
    One track missing here was The Ikon, which I heard part of before having to leave.
    I understand the Utopia portion (Todd did a solo opening set of about 50 minutes) of the show was just short of 3 hours. I sure would like to hear more of this. Did anyone else here get to see this show?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    So I just discovered this CD. This is the show when Utopia Theme was recorded. Tickets were 5.00 general admission. I had trouble getting someone to go with me, and my father had to pick us up. He insisted on 11 PM pick up time. Couldn't stay later for fear of losing my concert privileges. I missed hearing some of the tracks here, so this was nice to have.
    The concert was mixed in quad. I am holding out hope that someday Todd might release it in 5.1 or just quad like some of the SACD releases have done.
    One track missing here was The Ikon, which I heard part of before having to leave.
    I understand the Utopia portion (Todd did a solo opening set of about 50 minutes) of the show was just short of 3 hours. I sure would like to hear more of this. Did anyone else here get to see this show?
    First off this was actually recorded in early spring/late winter of 1974 in Atlanta, since most of the songs on the setlist were never played in 1973. Second off, it wasn't three hours long, it was a standard concert with Todd doing about 45 minutes first with backing tapes and then Utopia playing another 90 minutes or so.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Enjoying this release more than I enjoyed Todd a couple of weeks back here in town. Not a bad show, but kind of "been there, done that" and he's lost his falsetto.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Enjoying this release more than I enjoyed Todd a couple of weeks back here in town. Not a bad show, but kind of "been there, done that" and he's lost his falsetto.
    Was this the Global show? How is that Been There, Done That for you? I just thought it was pretty different for him.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    First off this was actually recorded in early spring/late winter of 1974 in Atlanta, since most of the songs on the setlist were never played in 1973. Second off, it wasn't three hours long, it was a standard concert with Todd doing about 45 minutes first with backing tapes and then Utopia playing another 90 minutes or so.
    Obviously you cannot believe everything you read.. and Boots are notorious for being mislabeled...
    Anyone know if this info is correct?

Todd Rundgren's Utopia
    November 12, 1973
    The Agora, Cleveland, OH.

WNCI-FM
    From a lo-fi source.

CDR > Spin Doctor> Toast> Flac

1. Utopia theme
    2. Don't You Ever Learn? >
    3. The Ikon (excerpt 1)
    4. Black Maria
    5. Sunset Boulevard >
    6. The Ikon (excerpt 2)
    7. # 1 Lowest Common Denominator >
    8. Is It My Name?
    9. Hungry For Love >
    10. The Ikon (excerpt 3)

TR - guitar
    Kevin Ellman -percussion
    Moogy Klingman - keyboards
    M. Frog Labat -synthesizers
    Ralph Shuckett - keyboards
    John Siegler - bass

total time 56:33

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was this the Global show? How is that Been There, Done That for you? I just thought it was pretty different for him.
    No, "40 Years of Greatest Hits".

Is there video of this for sale somewhere?

Yes.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The concert was mixed in quad. I am holding out hope that someday Todd might release it in 5.1 or just quad like some of the SACD releases have done...

Back in the day, King Biscuit Flower Hour produced a *LOT* of concert recordings, encoded in SQ quadrophonic for later broadcast...

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/q...c/quadradi.htm

However, neither Todd nor Utopia show up on this list provided at the above link.

It seems like I faintly recall seeing a Rundgren / Utopia bootleg LP or two back in the 70s, that might have been in quad -- either SQ or QS encoded -- maybe on the TAKRL or the TMOQ bootleg label.

Here's the legitimate CD release on Rockbeat Records in 2015...

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post

Here's the legitimate CD release on Rockbeat Records in 2015...
    When this concert was released as a legit bootleg download a couple of years ago, it was stated that Todd only had a master tape for the "Utopia Theme"... (meaning, I presume, a professional multi-track recording).
    From an Amazon.com reviewer : "this release had been previously been made available as a download through WhooHoo Live. This is a remastered boot soundboard with very good quality. There are a few audio gremlins but there's nothing too bad and I've certainly heard much worse." Caveat emptor.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 01-12-2016 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Obviously you cannot believe everything you read.. and Boots are notorious for being mislabeled...
    Anyone know if this info is correct?

Todd Rundgren's Utopia
    November 12, 1973
    The Agora, Cleveland, OH.

WNCI-FM
    From a lo-fi source.

CDR > Spin Doctor> Toast> Flac

1. Utopia theme
    2. Don't You Ever Learn? >
    3. The Ikon (excerpt 1)
    4. Black Maria
    5. Sunset Boulevard >
    6. The Ikon (excerpt 2)
    7. # 1 Lowest Common Denominator >
    8. Is It My Name?
    9. Hungry For Love >
    10. The Ikon (excerpt 3)

TR - guitar
    Kevin Ellman -percussion
    Moogy Klingman - keyboards
    M. Frog Labat -synthesizers
    Ralph Shuckett - keyboards
    John Siegler - bass

total time 56:33
    Yes that's a part of the setlist from the 1973 autumn tour. Note how many differences there are between that set and the one for the Fox Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post

However, neither Todd nor Utopia show up on this list provided at the above link.
    The Atlanta 74 recording was on an early 80's radio show called Retro Rock along with an 80's interview with Todd about his production work.

Not sure where to post this but... here's an incredible interview with M. Frog Labat :
    http://www.brain-magazine.fr/article...ire-de-M.-Frog

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Not sure where to post this but... here's an incredible interview with M. Frog Labat :
    http://www.brain-magazine.fr/article...ire-de-M.-Frog
    How nice, an interview in French. To bad I don't speak French.