Thread: The 10 best pop/session drummers in the world right now

The 10 best pop/session drummers in the world right now

Quote Originally Posted by JazzDrummer View Post
    Who the hell are these guys?
    Oh, they're the 10 best pop/session drummers in the world right now. Takes a truly creative virtuoso to play with One Direction n'stuff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Matt Chamberlain gets a nod from me.

They're also mostly British, and were compiled by a British magazine from a readers' poll. So you don't see Jim Keltner or Vinnie Colaiuta or Steve Jordan. Indeed, Matt Chamberlain is the only one I recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Takes a truly creative virtuoso to play with One Direction n'stuff.
    It actually may. They're having to duplicate, live, something that typically was programmed on a drum machine, and duplicate it exactly note-for-note every night - because the hits must sound like the hits. (Beyonce's band has two kit drummers for that very reason, to duplicate drum-machine parts not playable by one person.) They're also having to play something simple and dumb perfectly. That takes ability - a very different kind of ability from playing jazz well, but ability nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It actually may. They're having to duplicate, live, something that typically was programmed on a drum machine, and duplicate it exactly note-for-note every night - because the hits must sound like the hits.
    Absolutely true, and a rather obvious point that I myself ignored here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    They're also mostly British, and were compiled by a British magazine from a readers' poll. So you don't see Jim Keltner or Vinnie Colaiuta or Steve Jordan. Indeed, Matt Chamberlain is the only one I recognize.

It actually may. They're having to duplicate, live, something that typically was programmed on a drum machine, and duplicate it exactly note-for-note every night - because the hits must sound like the hits. (Beyonce's band has two kit drummers for that very reason, to duplicate drum-machine parts not playable by one person.) They're also having to play something simple and dumb perfectly. That takes ability - a very different kind of ability from playing jazz well, but ability nonetheless.
    That's why I dig the guys who've played with Prince and Madonna... gotta be a human metronome - but with pocket and groove. Rod Morgenstein once told me the hardest thing he ever did was learn to play Winger songs... haha. Too easy - yet so hard for a player who likes lots of little notes. :P

Problem is not to get bored so you lose the concentration.

If Chad Wackermann's not there, it's all lies.