Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New David Bowie Album (who saw that coming?)

New David Bowie Album (who saw that coming?)

Great news!

A single is out:

http://www.davidbowie.com/the-next-day
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Tony Levin on bass.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Fripp on guitar?

I wish...
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

No way. Is it April 1st?

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Definitely didn't see that coming. Nice song, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

A New Release From David Bowie

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90709720130108

(Reuters) - British singer David Bowie released his first new song in nearly a decade on Tuesday in a surprise launch coinciding with his 66th birthday.

"Where Are We Now?", produced by long-term collaborator Tony Visconti, is a melancholic look back to the time Bowie spent in Berlin in the 1970s with an accompanying video featuring black-and-white footage of the city when it was still divided.

The song, available on iTunes and free to view on his re-launched website, was recorded in New York and will be followed by Bowie's first studio album since 2003, "The Next Day", due out in Australia on March 8 and the United States on March 12.

Fans welcomed the return of one of pop music's most gifted and enigmatic figures, and the hashtags #Bowie and #DavidBowie were trending on Twitter following the announcement.

Early reaction from the public was mixed, but critics were largely impressed.

"Plenty of veteran musicians are masters of the cunning trick of staying away just long enough for every comeback to be hailed as a return to form, regardless of its true quality," wrote David Smyth of London's Evening Standard.

"Bowie's new song - Where are we now? - is free of such bluster - it's gentle, elegiac and stunningly beautiful."

The artwork for the album appears to be based on that used on "Heroes", Bowie's acclaimed 1977 record that was the second album in his so-called "Berlin Trilogy".

The typically understated associations with the singer's past have prompted the music press to speculate that he may be returning to the German cycle.

As yet there is no word on whether Bowie will tour to support the album, or on the identity of the mysterious woman whose face appears in the new video alongside that of the singer.

"OUT OF NOWHERE"

Bowie's label Columbia Records said the new song was a "treasure" that appeared "as if out of nowhere", underlining the element of surprise.

"Throwing shadows and avoiding the industry treadmill is very David Bowie despite his extraordinary track record that includes album sales in excess of 130 million not to mention his massive contributions in the area of art, fashion, style, sexual exploration and social commentary," the label said.

The album will consist of 14 songs, and a deluxe edition will feature three bonus tracks.

The glam-rock star, born David Jones in south London in 1947, shot to fame with "Space Oddity" in 1969, and later with his alter ego Ziggy Stardust, before establishing himself as a chart-topping force in the early 1980s.

His long absence from the music scene led to speculation that he had retired, with British newspapers reporting as recently as October that he had disappeared from the limelight for good.

Bowie's last album of new material was "Reality", released a decade ago, and he underwent emergency heart surgery while on tour in 2004. His last stage performance was as a guest at a charity concert in New York in 2006.

Known for his constant desire to re-invent himself and experiment with different musical and fashion styles, Bowie is considered one of the most influential stars of the pop era.

London's Victoria and Albert Museum is staging a major exhibition dedicated to Bowie, which opens on March 23.

(Reporting by Mike Collett-White)

just heard and saw it. a lovely homage to a berlin of bygone times. welcome back, thin white duke.

Just bought the new song on iTunes. Slowish, 70's vibe, and his voice sounds terrific. What great and unexpected news indeed!

OMG! OMG! OMG! I freakin LOVE Bowie and never thought this day would come. I'm verklempt.

Saw it this morning. Very cool. One of my top vocalists/musicians fo sho!

Happy Birthday Mom, David Bowie, Elvis Presley, Stephen Hawking and Soupy Sales.

I guess Bowie figured that if he was putting out so little music that Scott Walker was more productive, he'd better do something.

Whose head is that beside David's (in the video)? It sure ain't Iman.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Saw it this morning. Very cool. One of my top vocalists/musicians fo sho!

Happy Birthday Mom, David Bowie, Elvis Presley, Stephen Hawking and Soupy Sales.
    My Dad's birthday was today too. He would have been 81. He wasn't much of a Bowie fan though.

Banned
    i'm not as surprised as others apparently. Didn't he do something with Eno a few years back? The time goes so fast that it just seems like he's been out of the scene for a few years which can be typical for older artists anyway.

Bowie returns!!

http://www.davidbowie.com/the-next-day

I dont need to say anything, it speaks for itself. Cant wait.

It's such great news. Been on a Bowie tear (more than usual) the last several months.. so many great re-issues, and I had gotten to a place of "OK, if he never does anymore music...it's cool. WHAT A CATALOG...what a body of work..."

So this is major bonus. Reality & Heathen were fantastic.

Happy Birthday David and thank you for the present!!

This sounds actually really really good. There is a vulnerability to this song which is quite moving.

Well, at least now he has a legitimate excuse for not doing his own voice on The Venture Brothers.

I believe he suffered a heart attack during the reality tour back in 2004 and has kept a low profile ever since.

Visconti producing is a bonus .
    This should be over at the other forum though.
    Love Bowie but he ain't prog ¡

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Visconti producing is a bonus .
    This should be over at the other forum though.
    Love Bowie but he ain't prog ¡
    Well thats the eternal question around here isnt it? I dont pretend to know the answer to it, but would argue the guy is one of the most progressive musicians in the business. He never stays in one place. Always pushing the envelope and never disappoints me. Although Reality was a little weak to me taste, this, as well as everything else he's put out, ever, is an auto buy.
    I passed on a couple of his tours to my own misfortune. If I can get tickets this time 'round I wont make that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    My Dad's birthday was today too. He would have been 81. He wasn't much of a Bowie fan though.

Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    I believe he suffered a heart attack during the reality tour back in 2004 and has kept a low profile ever since.
    That's the word.