Thread: Anybody Listening to Special Providence?

Anybody Listening to Special Providence?

I have two of their discs. 2012's 'Soul Alert' and I'm especially enjoying their latest 'Essence Of Change' from 2015. They seem to fill the gap between outright jazz fusion and instrumental prog. Maybe even a few measures of prog metal mixed in. Really fun stuff. The songs have definite structure rather than just endless wanking. Which lets face it, gets annoying after a while. Having chops is one thing. Knowing when to use them is another. Musicianship is very strong in this band and melodies abound. The only negative thing I can say at this time is that I only have 2 out of their 4 discs.

Sorry if there is another thread on this band. I did do a search, but all I came up with was best of 2015 lists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8ZseWBt-8
    Last edited by Thonk98; 01-06-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Great Band from Hungary. They do have 2 earlier discs. Can't think of the titles as I don't have them. I do have a live show from 2015 in Germany that can be found through the right torrents. I was given it by a fan at Progday when we were discussing them.

I love their blend of Fusion and Symph, my 2 favorite styles of Prog

Soul Alert is all I got so far
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All their albums are available on Bandcamp:

https://specialprovidence.bandcamp.com/

I hate 'air' records
    gimme a disc in an album cover or case with artwork
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I hear what you are saying Mysterious Traveller. It is nice to have a glossy album cover but whatever the medium, physical disc or bits and bytes, as long as I can hear the music I'm OK.

I think they were mentioned in one of the Snarky Puppy threads, as I have them on my list of bands to check out. I'll have to move them up.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There are two shows on Dime:

Alte Seilerei
    Mannheim, Germany
    September 26, 2015

Source: Audience Zoom H2 Recording
    Taped by: SF
    Transferred by: SF

Sony Mic ECM 717 > Zoom H2 > 16/44 > CD Wave > dbpoweramp > Flac Level

Line Up:

Márton Kertész - Guitar
    Attila Fehérvári - Bass
    Zsolt Kaltenecker - Keyboards
    Adam Markó - Drums

01 Babel Confusion
    02 K2
    03 Surprise Me
    04 Awaiting The Semicentennial Tidal Wave
    05 Lazy Boy
    06 Northern Lights
    ------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL PROVIDENCE

Night Of The Prog Festival X, Day 3

Amphitheatre - Freilichtbühne Loreley
    Sankt Goarshausen, Germany
    July 19, 2015

Source: Audience Zoom H2 Recording
    Taped by: SF
    Transferred by: SF
    Track Setting, Setlist & Re-Work: CF

Sony Mic ECM 717 > Zoom H2 > 16/44 > CD Wave > dbpoweramp > Flac Level 8

Line Up:

Márton Kertész - Guitar
    Attila Fehérvári - Bass
    Zsolt Kaltenecker - Keyboards
    Adam Markó - Drums

01 Babel Confusion
    02 K2
    03 Surprise Me
    04 Soul Alert
    05 Darkness
    06 Lava
    07 Atlas Of You
    08 Asparagus
    09 Northern Lights
    10 Lazy Boy
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

LOVE this band to bits.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Yeah, man!!
    Chad

I only have Soul Alert but really like that one.

All their Album are still easy to find on CD.

Labyrinth and Space Cafe are the other releases by them

I have all their albums and think that "Soul Alert" is the best. I haven't listen to EoC that much as I probably should have. There's potential for growth in there as well. For anyone interested, Carpathia Project, another band from Hungary, plays a similar type of music:

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I love their blend of Fusion and Symph, my 2 favorite styles of Prog

Soul Alert is all I got so far
    You must be aware of the Electric Asturias from Japan, right? "Fractals" and "Elementals", very good albums, both.

Soul Alert is the only one I DON'T have. If you are a Snarky Puppy fan you will love these guys. Prog meets soul meets funky jazz.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I know I've sampled Special Providence in the past, but didn't bit on any of their stuff for some reason. I'll give them a fresh listen with all the samples here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    You must be aware of the Electric Asturias from Japan, right? "Fractals" and "Elementals", very good albums, both.
    I really liked Fractals, and got Elementals on the strength of that album. But my wife and I just listened to Elementals again the other night, and neither of us like that one as much. I can't put my finger on what is different, but Elementals just seemed a bit more "Prog by numbers," with lots of really predictable parts, where Fractals was a bit more "unexpected." I sampled a bit of their new one and it has that some sort of feel for me, though I only heard one track. So I'm personally getting a bit hesitant about Asturias.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I really liked Fractals, and got Elementals on the strength of that album. But my wife and I just listened to Elementals again the other night, and neither of us like that one as much. I can't put my finger on what is different, but Elementals just seemed a bit more "Prog by numbers," with lots of really predictable parts, where Fractals was a bit more "unexpected." I sampled a bit of their new one and it has that some sort of feel for me, though I only heard one track. So I'm personally getting a bit hesitant about Asturias.
    Bill
    It's funny how different we all are (thank goodness for that). I got Elementals first and then Fractals, "on the strength of" Elementals, to quote you. If I would want to listen to only one of them, I would always pick Elementals.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Soul Alert is the only one I DON'T have. If you are a Snarky Puppy fan you will love these guys. Prog meets soul meets funky jazz.
    You must remedy that asap - in my opinion (and in many's that commented on this thread) "Soul Alert" is their best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I know I've sampled Special Providence in the past, but didn't bit on any of their stuff for some reason. I'll give them a fresh listen with all the samples here.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    It's funny how different we all are (thank goodness for that). I got Elementals first and then Fractals, "on the strength of" Elementals, to quote you. If I would want to listen to only one of them, I would always pick Elementals.
    both Fractals and Elementals are excellent albums. Much better than the Soul Trees album IMO. But their new album Missing Piece Of My Life blows everything else they've ever done away!

Like Special Providence, Asturias perfectly blend the 2 biggest styles of Prog (Symph Rock and Jazz Rock) together seamlessly like the best albums by PFM, RTF, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Bruford.

I saw these guys at the night of prog in Germany and they just floored me and the entire early morning audience with their brand of symph prog fusion. Brought the entire crowd to its feet at the end of the set.