Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your Prog resolutions for 2016?

What are your Prog resolutions for 2016?

I've unfortunately just suffered a loss in my family, but I believe in the healing power of Prog music, and in reality, any music that moves a person. I'm determined to continue my late in life discovery of Anthony Phillips and the Alan Parsons Project. I've been listening to GatG by Ant and it's kind of like Genesis on valium. Which is good as I love listening to Genesis on valium. .

So, do you have any Prog resolutions? If not, perhaps this is a time explore something new, or to catch up on artists that have slipped through your fingers over the years. Or perhaps give another listen to that "must have" album that for some reason never really moved you.

And Pop music is fine too. Happy New Year.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 01-07-2016 at 05:04 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

1. To find more new music to set my soul on fire like when I was a young-un'.
    2. A complete Zappa survey.
    3. To get to know all the Saga albums I ignored when they were released.

My number 1 prog resolution: Do not get sucked into any more "what is prog" discussions on this forum.

To stop buying new music until I have learned to love (or otherwise) all that already I have. That one bit the dust on New Years Day with orders for vinyl copies of Joni Mitchell's 'Shadows and Light' and Sing to God, The Seaside and Guns. Oh well, start as you mean to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My number 1 prog resolution: Do not get sucked into any more "what is prog" discussions on this forum.
    Or anything containing the words 'Top 100'

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    2. A complete Zappa survey.
    These are both great resolutions!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    But Steve, what is prog? Tell me, please???? (just an annoying post to see if I can break your resolution just 4 days into the new year)

Not a resolution but a hope, I hope to see more prog shows this year.

1) Discover Genesis
    2) Discover Yes
    3) Repeat 1 + 2
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    1) Spin the Lindsay Cooper CD's I have and listen attentively
    2) See some live music this year
    3) Do more to support struggling artists
    4) Stop being a corporate maggot and become a struggling artist (not likely, but I can day dream)...

1) Progday 2016
    2) Be funnier than Steve Kessler on this forum.

OK, one will be easy and the other I'm setting the bar extremely "high"
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

1. Attend more shows (I attended *zero* in '015). Should be able to at least see Magma and Marillion. Hopefully Bent Knee comes back to Madison, now that I know who the heck they are.
    2. Listen to lots of Magma.
    3. Discover some new favorites. Do my part to keep Steve and Greg in business.
    4. Jam on it.
    flute juice

1. Hunt down Le Souffle Noir
    2. Take acid and trip to Le Souffle Noir
    3. Find affordable rehab w/ valet parking
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

^

I'm sorry to have to say this, but my life changed into what it has become on discovering Le Souffle Noir - and you don't want to end up like me.

Still...: http://www.popsike.com/DIDIER-PAQUET...022504289.html
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    ^ This was my big musical achievement (well, not finished yet but have made a lot of headway) for 2015 Q4.

So for 2016:

1. Listen to even more Marillion (I always make this New Year's resolution, as I always feel it's a reachable goal. I include in this solo Fish and all Marillion offshoots - for example, Edison's Children). I've started the year off well by giving Fish's newly remastered Sunsets on Empire some time).

2. Devote a lot of the year to some core artists I've been neglecting. This means things like:

The recentish KC boxed sets, for example I've yet to open the shrink wrap on the Thrack box and the I've spent almost no time on ANY of the Steven Wilson Tull and Yes remasters, yet I have them all.

3. Continue my Saga listenins.

That's enough for now...

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I've unfortunately just suffered a loss in my family, but I believe in the healing power of Prog music, and in reality, any music that moves a person. I've resolved to continue my late in life discovery of Anthony Phillips and the Alan Parsons Project.

Happy New Year.
    I'm sorry to hear/read this , but hopefully the new year will be a better one for you.

one resolution, but it doesn't depend on me, really: To find as many good albums in 2016 than I did in 15... This was almost triple than previous years.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I resolve to play more keyboards and guitar while listening to much more music.
    I resolve to buy much less music and wade through the 3000 plus albums and Cds I already have
    I resolve to keep investing in seeing live music. 2015 had countless shows including a couple fests.
    I resolve to keep resolving
    I resolve to get into a deep discussion with Steve Sly over many fine crafted beverages and finally figure out "what is Prog?"

Buy less albums
    Sell more of my albums
    Listen to more of my albums that I haven't played in awhile.
    Stay on top of the touring schedules and see as many bands I'm interested in as I can afford.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    I resolve to play more keyboards and guitar while listening to much more music.
    I resolve to buy much less music and wade through the 3000 plus albums and Cds I already have
    I resolve to keep investing in seeing live music. 2015 had countless shows including a couple fests.
    I resolve to keep resolving
    I resolve to get into a deep discussion with Steve Sly over many fine crafted beverages and finally figure out "what is Prog?"
    Don't forget the Big Picture reunion!

Eat more vinyl. See Thinking Plague this week twice! Magma in March!

Finally compile the mongo Wayside order I've been thinking about for a while, send it in, and do some listening.

- See at least a dozen shows, half of which are bands I've not seen before (festivals don't count)
    - Discover at least 2 dozen new artists whom I've not heard before
    - Complete writing for ES #3, maybe even finish recording
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Finish the revised edition of the Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    Do you really think that's gonna happen?

I only have one resolution and that's attending ProgDay.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Or anything containing the words 'Top 100'
    I have lost the will to list.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    - Complete writing for ES #3, maybe even finish recording
    Now that is something to look forward to!