Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are your Prog resolutions for 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Oh you must! They're all exquisite. That said, the first album is the most Cardiac-esque (in terms of inhabiting that beautiful weird sound world)given that Tim produced it and I think, in addition to the wonderful tunes, it represents a production high water mark for Tim. The sound of the thing is phenomenal.

Last years Revere Reach is really something.
    In that case, I shall start with the first and move forward from there. Thanks!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Hardly a resolution like giving up beer, which lasted 15 hours, (but cutting back to get trim again!) since I look forward to the following:

1. listen to the Mahler and Buckner CDs a friend convinced me to buy ten years ago. I liked them but never absorbed it. Absorption coming...

2. listen to Yes Relayer and Tormato carefully a few times. I have only listened to those from start to finish once although loved "Soon" and "Ritual" from the first notes on Yesstory. No resolution needed for The Yes Album, Fragile , Close to the Edge and Drama for obvious reasons. Also no resolution for Time and A Word and TFTO - for a different reason.

3. Carefully listen to the late 80s and 90s Saga that I haven't heard before to order MP3s of "The Best of the Rest". I hope I can find 15 to 20 songs off of six albums.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 01-07-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    So, yeah…Earthbound. When I took that baby home from the warehouse and spun it for the first time in my greasy bedsit with the Larks’ Tongues cover tattooed on the wall, "21st Century Schizoid Man" with Wallace on drums came on and it blew my mind to shreds. Still the best version of that song, innit?
    I can't tell you - I'm too depressed from reading that whole post...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Boz, of course, wasn't even much of a bass player - yet he absolutely delivered the necessities.
    Yeah, Boz gets the job done for sure, laying down some funkiness during "Peoria". He does appear to sit out the fast unison run in 21st CSM, but who could blame him? It’s treacherous terrain.

I also dig the fact that you got this during your university days; I myself was a student from 1991-2002, and this was most definitely my formative coming-of-age phase as far as discovering music goes. My copy of Earthbound is near-mint, yet the local secondhand retailer told me about the title being a token of cheapness and duly let me buy it accordingly - although it's one of the hardest KC vinyls to obtain.
    So you also wasted no time getting that degree! Good for ya!

My LP was pretty battered, but sounded great even on a garden variety system. Earthbound’s one of the few instances where vinyl does sound better (though this 100% subjective).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can't tell you - I'm too depressed from reading that whole post...
    Sorry for that first world ennui snore fest tale. Didn’t mean to depress you.

OK, Edge…play the blues!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    So you also wasted no time getting that degree! Good for ya!
    Pretty spot on, I'd say; I spent most of my first five student years playing in bands and collecting music, drinking beer and chasing unfortunate girls - until finally getting serious with my (1st.) wife-to-be in 1995-6, which prompted me into making more of an academic effort.

Can't say I regret that; those years of becoming musically cultivated and addicted pretty much left me with a protective layer for future downhill trips in life, and indeed when parting ways with my partners, WOOTT was left but that silly record collection? Leave me, wifey - but the music stays here!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

At least 100 dead, your story was actually pretty interesting.

A little late, but I thought of one : I resolve not to use the standalone word "Prog" any more. It used to be a shorthand word for "Prog-Rock," which was itself shorthand for "Progressive Rock." However, it has since metastasized into a giant nebulous amoeba that swallows everything in its path.
    So, even though it will mean more key strokes, I resolve to use "Prog-Rock" or "Progressive Rock" when referring to the music. Feel free to join me.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A little late, but I thought of one : I resolve not to use the standalone word "Prog" any more. It used to be a shorthand word for "Prog-Rock," which was itself shorthand for "Progressive Rock." However, it has since metastasized into a giant nebulous amoeba that swallows everything in its path.
    So, even though it will mean more key strokes, I resolve to use "Prog-Rock" or "Progressive Rock" when referring to the music. Feel free to join me.
    Nah, to me Prog always means Progressive Rock.

I spent most of my first five student years playing in bands and collecting music, drinking beer and chasing unfortunate girls [...]
    Sounds VERY familiar!

What kind of bands did you play in & which instruments do you/did you play?
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

^

Guitars, some keys, trumpet and recorder. I played in a cuppa neo-psych kinda bands, some singer-songwriter stuff, then a full-blown "prog" band and an improv/noise one as well.

Just don't ask what sort of unfortunate girls I was chasing, as the beer rendered it somewhat blurry.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM