Thread: I'm teched out!

I'm teched out!

I've reached technological development overload, I can't handle it anymore.

Today I wanted to get a simple 2.1 soundbar for my Panasonic plasma. I have a very small tv room and I don't want a 5.1 system, plus I haven't got the budget for it.

Anyway I saw a Samsung soundbar with sub-woofer I liked the look of for about 160 euros. And then the shop asst said "you need an optical connection for that" I said "why? I just want to plug some speakers in, why do I need an optical connection?" He then said something that made as much sense to me as someone speaking Chinese. I don't even know if my TV has an optical input or not.

Anyway I left the shop and accepted that technological development has passed me by and I'm never going to catch up again. So I'll just stick with my 1970s JVC receiver and 2 speakers for the tv then.

Your plasma TV should have an optical audio output - all of our plasma displays had this connection since I can remember. Depending on your display's source material - it might be sending 5.1 material to the sound bar - which then sub-processes it for Dolby Digital, DTS, etc . . . and provides you with the simulated surround sound feature, and a separate channel feed to the sub too. This would take advantage of all the sonic capabilities output by the display, and processed by the sound bar. It's a cheap cable too - don't be afraid and embrace my man ---

I have a friend who just got a new 4k display with a Polk Omni sound bar w/sub - - - all for his bedroom setup. It is very impressive - - -

Thanks Whorg. So the optical connection converts 5.1 to 2.1 for the soundbar, is that right?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Your plasma TV should have an optical audio output - all of our plasma displays had this connection since I can remember. Depending on your display's source material - it might be sending 5.1 material to the sound bar - which then sub-processes it for Dolby Digital, DTS, etc . . . and provides you with the simulated surround sound feature, and a separate channel feed to the sub too. This would take advantage of all the sonic capabilities output by the display, and processed by the sound bar. It's a cheap cable too - don't be afraid and embrace my man ---

I have a friend who just got a new 4k display with a Polk Omni sound bar w/sub - - - all for his bedroom setup. It is very impressive - - -
    Christ, I used to have a little black & white TV in my bedroom. It took a minute to warm up...

Whatever is fed to your sound bar from the display will be processed for a 2.1 experience. These units can simulate surround sound by delaying the "rear" signals and/or angling the drivers, something like that. Others here can clarify I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Christ, I used to have a little black & white TV in my bedroom. It took a minute to warm up...
    You mean you don't still use it now?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally