Thread: Arena XX CD/DVD

Arena XX CD/DVD

An upcoming new live release from one of my favourite Neo-Prog bands!

Don't know the track list other than it was recorded on the recent 'Unquiet Sky' tour!
    However I do know they played "Moviedrome' on that tour so that itself makes it an essential purchase for me!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    +1

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Cool - that was pretty quick!

Moviedrome is a great epic. Why Arena gave up that style I'll never know.

dvd tracklist
    1. The Demon Strikes
    2. Rapture
    3. Double Vision
    4. Crack In the Ice
    5. Moviedrome
    6. How Did it Come To This?
    7. Butterfly Man
    8. Bedlam Fayre
    9. Serenity
    10. The Unquiet Sky
    11. Traveller Beware
    12. The City Of Lanterns
    13. Riding The Tide
    14. Hanging Tree
    15. The Tinder Box
    16. Solomon
    17. Don't Forget To Breathe
    18. Cryig for Help 7

release feb 12th

Some good tracks there. I've been really disappointed in their last couple of albums, which steer more towards bland prog-metal. The more majestic stuff from the earlier days has gone by the wayside, but it's nice to see they still play some of it live. Agree that "Moviedrome" is one of their best.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Once upon a time my fav prog band, bar none, was Arena. But they kind of lost me with Contagion, up to then I was onboard 100%; but Contagion did absolutely nothing for me, it left me colder than a witches tit!

That said, Pepper's Ghost has some brilliant stuff on it, and still gets the odd spin. But I have tried and so far failed to like the two most recent studio albums, neither of them appeal to me at all.
    The genius of The Visitor and Immortal just isn't there. It might however be because my favorite 2 albums are the first 2. I just prefer the obvious neo-prog symph stuff over the modern harder prog style.

I'd rather just listen to my 80s and 90s neo albums from Arena, Pallas, Marillion, Twelfth Night, IQ, Isildurs Bane, Pendragon, Shadowland, Jadis than the harder 21st century post-neo Neo....if you know what I mean.

But this sounds interesting and I'll give it a listen initially on spotify. Not generally a fan of live albums though. I almost never listen to the 2 live Arena albums I have as it is.

they have lost me on the last two releases... loved Pepper's Ghost, but they haven't done anything remotely as good as that since... (as Progatron said "bland prog-metal")

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    (as Progatron said "bland prog-metal")
    Yea, I'd go along with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    An upcoming new live release from one of my favourite Neo-Prog bands!

Don't know the track list other than it was recorded on the recent 'Unquiet Sky' tour!
    However I do know they played "Moviedrome' on that tour so that itself makes it an essential purchase for me!
    The 2CD and DVD (no 2CD/DVD set) are on Amazon with a January 15 release date. Did you see a 2CD/DVD set listed somewhere? Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The 2CD and DVD (no 2CD/DVD set) are on Amazon with a January 15 release date. Did you see a 2CD/DVD set listed somewhere? Just wondering...
    No? just assumed it would be a double package as most are these days! Must be some financial benefit releasing them separately?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Contagion did absolutely nothing for me, it left me colder than a witches tit!

I just prefer the obvious neo-prog symph stuff over the modern harder prog style.

I'd rather just listen to my 80s and 90s neo albums from Arena, Pallas, Marillion, Twelfth Night, IQ, Isildurs Bane, Pendragon, Shadowland, Jadis than the harder 21st century post-neo Neo....if you know what I mean.
    It's "teat," dammit!

This is a good, honest reason for preferring the earlier albums, Peter. I was all set to give you a recent Arena lecture, but why bother?

I really enjoy the last two albums - I think the songwriting is quite good, IMO, even if the widdly factor is lowered. Clive Nolan does seem to have been taking a back seat, it's true. Playing wise, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    No? just assumed it would be a double package as most are these days! Must be some financial benefit releasing them separately?
    It's still possible there's a double release, but you never know.

It's "teat," dammit!
    Listen geezer, over here in God's country we say tit, okay

This is a good, honest reason for preferring the earlier albums, Peter. I was all set to give you a recent Arena lecture, but why bother?
    You could explain to me though, if you know, why their sound changed so dramatically in recent years. Was it a change of members, main music writers or something like that?

I really don't see a dramatic change like you guys do. Like I said, I think there's less widdly keyboards, that's all.

BTW, teat is pronounced the same as tit.

i Think they still are very good ,love the unquiet sky ,each to their own i guess.

BTW, teat is pronounced the same as tit.
    Not over here it ain't geezer. We say tee-t, which is how we pronounce the word for the teat on top of a baby's milk bottle and a cow's teats.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Not over here it ain't geezer. We say tee-t, which is how we pronounce the word for the teat on top of a baby's milk bottle and a cow's teats.
    No wonder we had a Revolution!

:-) :-) :-)

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I think the latest is a strong release, having skipped the last one.